Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2004, 08:57 AM   #1
Montana_1237
Established Member

M.O.C. #1237
Hitch

Hi everyone, I sent away for the Pullrite 16k superglide video and decided thats the one I want. I made a call to a local dealer here in washington and was shocked to hear the cost of these hitches. The guy quoted me the price of 1995.00 plus 225.00 for install and thats without the tax yet. Anybody from this area have any idea's, we are going over to Wenatchee to look at the 3400rl that we are going buy and I really want that hitch. I talked to Montana Sky on this foram and he dealt with the same person but went with a dealer in Spokane because he threw the hitch in. I don't know if I can be that lucky but I guess there is always that chance. Are these hitches really that high or is this guy I called trying to cut a fat hog on me. Well thanks for any input you might come up with, Everybody stay safe out there and have fun we are looking forward to our turn, see ya Tom n Phyllis

Montana_1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:17 AM   #2
Montana_251
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #251
Try Tacoma RV in Tacoma,Wa
They seem to be very fair good dealership
Montana_251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 10:29 AM   #3
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
YIKES! Oh my goodness, I'm sure glad we didn't have to pay for that kind! That's insane but I was looking on the internet and they sell for $1327 from this site. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...superglide.htm and that is on the internet so the price you are paying is probably fine for your area.

Is there a reason you think you need a "fully automatic" hitch? We have a short bed dodge with a sliding hitch and have used it 6 times now and never used the sliding part of it yet. And we have gotten into some pretty small places too....

Just something to consider. Is $1,000 worth it to you to have the automatic one rather than jumping our and releasing it which take all of a minute?

Good luck in your decision, you are the only one that can say if it's worth it. To us, it wasn't.

Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:25 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mel, the SuperGlide eliminates the risk of crashing trailer to cab of the truck. Many of us have done just fine with manual sliders. I've only used the slider 4 times in 8 years. The nose of the Montana is curved, giving us a better turn radius than with many fifthwheels. Nevertheless, the risk is there with a manual slider. Someday I'd like to have a superglide, someday I probably will. Meanwhile I'm getting along just fine with the manual. Is it worth the extra cost? I guess that depends on how comfortable or uncomfortable you are with the risk. Naturally, if you ever have to pay for a repair from a crash then the cost probably becomes less a pill to swallow. However, when you have the superglide you won't know if you saved yourself the cost of a crash or not...

If I were starting over and the cost was not an undue burden I'd go with the superglide (my opinion). If the cost was more difficult, then I'd go with the manual. In other words, I would not allow the cost of the auto slider to stop me from enjoying the Montana with a manual slider, if that makes any sense. Again, this is purely my opinion. If you are uncomfortable with the possibility of a crash, then definitely go with the automatic slider.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:11 PM   #5
Montana_1237
Established Member

M.O.C. #1237
Thanks to all of you on the hitch advise. I guess I am going to have to give it some deep thought. Steve brought the point up of a crash and that is something that was on my mind, not so much of a crash but a sudden stop. Mike I have no problems with the type of hitch that you have but my wife and I are selling out and we are going to travel and see what we have been missing so this will be our home for quiet a while and I want feel secure on the road. But we'll see, like the saying goes MONEY TALKS and that will make the final decision. Steve I brought up your travel post and let me tell you I am so jealous, thats what Phyllis and I are looking forward to doing. I haven't gone through the whole thing because I,m fairlly new to this site but I intend to. I haven't figured out how to do the faces yet or I would have put a happy face up. Thanks again to everybody, you have been great. Tom n Phyllis
Old 06-17-2004, 09:07 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Tom,
I dont remember that exact price of that hitch over here, but give the guy I deal with a call and see what he can do for you. On both the hitch and 3400RL. Just to let you know how good this hitch really is, yesterday had to move the rv and did not have a lot of space to do it with. Was able to do a full u-turn with the truck and coach with no problems. Did not have to get out and "slide" or "drag" anything. I am not going to knock any other products that people are using, but if it were me I would really consider it. In my opinion it is worth every penny. I know it will cost more than $2,500 to get the front of your coach and the back window fixed if they were to ever meet. If one is going to spend upwards of $40,000+ on a truck and $40,000+ on a coach what is another $2,000 to have the hitch that makes you feel comfortable. I know the luck I have, and if the two are going to hit for someone, that someone will be me. The extra $$ was worth my piece of mind on having the Superglide. One correction, I did not get mine thrown in as part of my deal, when I ordered my coach at the rv show, the dealership was offering a $1,000 credit towards a hitch install, extended warranty or $$ off the price of the coach. I took the hitch credit and paid the difference. Good luck on your decision with the hitch. Again, call over here to Spokane and talk with Brian W. Get a price quote on the fiver and hitch. I had told him he might be possibly getting a call from you. He is looking forward to talking with you. 1-877-244-5888
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 04:02 AM   #7
Montana_1237
Established Member

M.O.C. #1237
Hey Montana Sky its good to hear from you and thanks for information. I will call over to spokane, and see what I can put together. When my wife and get over there I will certainly look for I'm looking forward to meeting you. You can E-Mail me your address and phone number if you want or give your location of where your parked. My E-Mail is: Tmerc35.1@netzero.net I thought I read on the forum that your getting ready to take a trip if so have a great time and stay safe, again thanks Tom n Phyllis
Old 06-18-2004, 06:04 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tom n Phyllis, one thing we discovered in our travels is there are so many great things to see and do that we didn't even know existed. We stop at welcome centers and pick up vacation guides, get brochures, etc. Wow, is this a beautiful and grand country. We started out thinking that by the 2 year mark we'd be burning out but it's been 15 months now and we're now thinking we need five or six more years. At least. We have a big US map we highlight with our travels and looking at that we've barely scratched the surface. And we want to see Canada, too. And get up to Alaska at least once.

Good luck. Hope you enjoy your travels. Yesterday I added several of Vicki's postcards to the website (starting with 5/22/04) and still have three more to convert and load. Glad you enjoyed them.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:39 PM   #9
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
We love ours and figure the 1000 dollars extra is worth it as a collision with the cab of the truck would include a $500 deductible on both truck and fiver. It's cheap insurance in a long run for us and requires us to have one less thing to worry about particularly as we were totally new to fiver's.

I know I have read here or on another RV forum that some people have actually installed the Pullrite Superglide themselves and said it was not that difficult and the directions were very good. Also all the hardware is included. That would save a considerable amount of money for yourself.

Our dealer welded the plate to the king pin which Pullrite does not recommend. That required us to buy an adapter to keep on board in case we ever need it towed by another Vehicle without a Pullrite Superglide hitch.
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:26 AM   #10
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
We've had our 5er for 7 weeks and are already happy that we had decided to go the extra $$$ for the Super Glide (see our story about the sandy loop adventure elsewhere). The service manager at our dealership showed us his truck--and guess what he had installed in the back?? His comment--"I have this because it is the second best insurance I can buy for my Montana." (the other being his RV insurance obviously!) RC and S have valid comments I think about cost recovery--as does Steve about whether you would ever know if it prevented a crash. The other factor to consider is time lost and inconvenience if you do have an incident. Our advice is always to do all your research, weigh all your options and then buy the best equipment that your budget can handle. At the moment we don't regret a penny of the money for the Super Glide. I guess a lot of people agreed with us--it took 6 weeks (dealer had thought 2) to get the thing in after it was ordered. Pullrite had a huge backlog of orders to deal with. So, if you decide to go with it, be sure to figure in the possibility of an extended delivery time. Good luck with the decision and let us know how it goes.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:57 PM   #11
Montana_1237
Established Member

M.O.C. #1237
OK everyone I am going to get the 16k superglide hitch, I don't think you all had to sell me on it. I made up my mind when I saw the video, it was amazing. Really, Montana Sky helped me out a lot in making up my mind on the hitch. Thanks again to everyone for their advice. It really helped to get different opinions.

On a different subject - RC and Samantha, my wife and I were on the MOC and went through your photo album. The photos were great. We liked what you did with the furniture arrangement. Where did you get the coffee table and end table? We liked them. Also, our first exposure to the Montana was at an RV show in Seattle, and it happened to be a 3295 that we walked into. They didn't have a Big Sky at the show. The only differance that we know about is the high gloss finish on the outside. We were camped out one day and came upon a Montana that happened to be a Big Sky, and the people invited us in. It looked very much like the 3295, and we didn't see a lot of differance. What is the differance between the two? The reason I'm asking is because we liked the Big Sky, as well as the 3400 RL. Money will dictate between the two. We could be very happy in either one.We are now in the process of filling out a retail price list on a 3400 RL, and I'm going to send them to the dealers, one in particular that Montana Sky told me about.

Again, thanks to everybody for their advice and their help. I've appreciated it very much. Take care to you all.

Tom n Phyllis
Old 06-24-2004, 09:24 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Tom,
I have not seem RC's pictures yet, but just an update for you. I have the coffee table and end table in my 3400RL. I ordered from them from the factory. I like having the coffee "sofa table" as it works well when I want to watch tv and eat dinner. No need to tv trays. Also my dealership has the 3295RK in the Big Sky on his lot right now. It is an amazing coach, I sure do like the upgraded paint scheme on the outside. Not sure if he has a 3400RL in stock or not at this time. Just call Brian and he will get you all the stuff and numbers you need. I am glad to hear you have decided on the Superglide, I know you will be 100% happy with your decision. Nothing like having to worry about your truck and trailer coming in contact. As if we dont have enough to keep straight on the road as it is.. =) Keep us updated as your progress continues.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:28 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tom n Phyllis, if you decide on a 3295 but decide not to go Big Sky, the high gloss finish is an option on the standard 3295. We have it on ours and love it.

If that table is the one where the top scissors up and toward you, the one from Camping World, we have that, too, and think it's great. Vicki uses it for her laptop while mine is on the computer desk. We got a different end table, from Target, though. We just recently, in the past 6 weeks or so, got these tables to replace the econo-tables we originally put in here.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:09 AM   #14
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Tom & Phyllis,

Thank you so much for the compliments on the photos and furniture arrangement. Those are some of my first attempts with my new digital camera. The furniture arrangement came about because RC has been complaining since day one about the lack of living room space in this unit. Then when he found out my sister had bought a 3400RL nearly exactly how we wanted it off the dealer’s lot and he would stand it there was just no living with him. With the new arrangement in our 3295RK it does have a larger/roomier feeling. Plus I like being able to dine and look out the door.

The coffee table and end table came directly from Keystone. They were the standard ones used on the 2003's and early 2004's I believe. Now my sister has a 2004 3400RL and her end table has Queen Ann style leg and a drawer in it. The coffee table available is on the same design. Neither table came with the 3295RK but I ordered each of them as extras. You can do that with any of the units. For me a coffee table and an end table are a must. If you order the end table now I believe it comes with a brass lamp?

The differences in the Big Sky were numerous in the 2003's and the early 2004's. Now the differences aren't as great because Jeff Rank is continually trying to improve the product and make it more desirable to its customers. I will list the differences below in mine at the time and indicate where they are no longer different.

1. High Gloss Gel Coat as you mentioned.
2. Different Graphics
3. Aluminum Wheels (although you can order Aluminum Wheels on a regular Montana they aren't quite as nice as the ones on the Big Sky.)
4. The carpet is thicker and so is the padding.
5. There are only two Interior color choices in the Big Sky and those fabrics are of a fancier quality. They are also more delicate and depending on what you do when you camp they may not be the best suited. My favorite color combo is the regular Montana's Desert Sunset.
6. Our desk has a wooden top instead of a plastic laminate top.
7. Solid surface counter tops in the kitchen. (Now all Montana's have that in the kitchen/galley area.)
8. Real leaded glass in the cabinets in the main living area instead of plastic.
9. Wooden cornices and Lambrequins around all the windows.
10. Upgrades lighting in the main living areas. They are crystal like and so is the light kit for the ceiling fan. (On some of the new ones I see upgraded lights. It seems dependant on the models. The new floor plans seem to have fancier lighting I think?)
11. Black appliances. (Now I believe all of the appliances are black for all Montana's.)
12. Upgraded cabinet hardware. (Again I believe they are in the process of changing the hardware for the new 2005's.)
13. A wooden paper towel holder.
14. A wooden spice rack and knife holder behind the cook top.
15. Lino (which is now standard in the Montana's.)
16. The dining room table has a leaf and the chairs are upholstered completely. They are very high backed.
17. A wooden letter holder with key pegs.
18. Different trim on the slide out fascias in living area and bedroom. (Now they are much nicer on the regular Montana's and the Big Sky's. They are completely covered in Oak.)
19. Raised panel Oak cabinets with cathedral arches.
20. An upgraded Coach with a camel back design.
21. A high backed recliner or recliners if you have a floor plan that has the rear bay window.
22. The shower door in the bathroom has a mountain design in etched glass with brass trim. It's very nice.
23. Solid surface counter top on the bathroom vanity. (Regular Montana's don't have that yet.)
24. Different drapes in the bedroom that are designed with a ruffled valance and a jabot each side of the windows. I really like them and they do not get in the way of the day/night shades.
25. Extra accent pillow in the bedroom and they are fancily trimmed.
26. The closet mirrored doors have a brass surround.
27. All the other doors on the closets and dividers are six paneled doors instead of flat paneled.
28. The extra height (as you mentioned) which includes taller cabinets at least in this floor plan.
29. A Sky Light high on the wall opposite the door which lets in quite a bit of light and gives a nice view of trees and such if you're in a camp ground that has trees or say you're near mountains.
30. Lino in-front of the sink and garden tub with a walking path of carpet.
31. A porcelain toilet that has two pedals for comfort and is a bit taller.
31. Brass floor registers for heat ducts.
32. An Upgraded mattress for the bed. We have no problems with ours and find it very comfortable.

I think that's just about it.

I love both floor plans and if they would have had the 3400RL back then in we'd probably have gotten it but RC was really stuck on a Big Sky so maybe not? He's 6' 3" and at the time it also gave more head room in the bedroom.

The 3295RK has the most storage and cabinets of any of the floor plans. If you are going to full time or have a lot of stuff, you can't go wrong. Prior to the new floor plans the 3295RK was their biggest seller.

The 3400RL is beautiful. It doesn't have an extra closet as I do and the double privacy doors which I like for sound barriers. RC and I can go into two different rooms and watch different shows or listen to different radio stations or play different CD's without annoying one another. If you’re in the bedroom you can close that privacy door and someone can come in and use the bathroom including the shower without disturbing or seeing you in the bedroom.

The 3400RL has quite a bit of cabinet space but not nearly as much as the 3295RK. My washer and dryer are in a cabinet in the bath area while with the 3400RL that provision is in the living area near the front door and would eliminate the coat closet if you utilize it for a washer and dryer. I still have a coat closet although it's pretty small in depth. I also have tall cabinets above and below it that I store quite a bit of stuff in.

The 3285RK has the curio cabinet which I thought was dumb but now like. While traveling I always stored the snacks paper products so we could have quick access to them. Now I also store all the table condiments and dressings as I have the table there. In the top of I store all the extra linens for the sofa bed.

When we travel with two other people, rather it be another couple or one of our children and a friend I can rearrange things and they are able to keep all their clothing and personal things away in cabinets in the living area and actually feel they have their very won room and not impossing on our privacy & vise versa.

The 3295RK has a complete cabinet in the water closet where I can store all my chemicals, personal hygiene products and toilet paper. The 3400RL only has a shelf. My sister really wishes she had the cabinet and is thinking of adding one in there. It'll be another project for us sister to do together. We're the handy ones in our families.

With the 3400RL you can NOT get the Garden Tub even though the literature says you can. I love our Garden Tub, not for the tub feature, although it is nice for our Grand daughter, but it's larger and if anything backs up from over flowing tanks, or forgetting to open the gray tank while running the washer, there is quite a bit of room in there before it would overflow onto the floor. Also a great place to soak things. Even to wash dishes in like I did this winter when our water froze up in the kitchen.

So although I really like the 3400RL I am extremely happy with my 3295RK. Just wish we'd waited a couple of weeks longer to order and we would have gotten the 28 upgrades Keystone made to the Montana's right around then. The one level bedroom & bathroom is something I wish we had and the deeper rear mirrored closet is something I wish we had too.

The pin weight it very heavy on the 3295RK while the pin weight on the 3400RL is considerably lighter, in fact I think it's the lightest of all of the Montana's. The 3400RL is almost two feet longer than the 3295RK and much heavier. While we have all the extra weight of the gel coat, being a Big Sky and all the other upgraded features, mine is lighter than my sister's 3400RL regular Montana.

Rear kitchen models ride much rougher on bad roads. I have had things dishes and things break a bit during really severe road conditions and don't know if they would have with a center kitchen model? I now have taken steps so we don't break anything.

As usual I have gone on and on. I'm sure I have given you far more information that you wanted. I'll bet you are sorry you asked? LOL

We no longer have the 3295RK for sale and are pretty sure we are keeping it. Personally if it sold I think I would just want another 3295RK Big Sky with all the improvements that Keystone has made since they built ours. I would just hate to give up the storage space. We plan on at least semi-full timing it in the future and RC and I have a lot of equipment for our outdoor hobbies. Having all this space comes in handy, especially when we camp near the ski resorts in the winter.

With all the new improvements to the regular Montana I am anxious to see what Jeff Rank comes up with to make the Big Sky an upgrade. It should be very interesting.

I don't think you could go wrong with either the 3400RL or the 3295RK regardless on whether you choose it in a Big Sky or Regular Montana model. Both will serve you very well indeed. You'll surely be happy.

Take care and I know you'll be very happy with the Pullrite 16K Super Glide. The company is also a dream to deal with if you need help or have a problem. They helped us on our first trip out down to Florida because of an boo boo RC made.

I will be wishing you the best of luck on making your choice and the price negotiation.

Samantha
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 09:23 AM   #15
chopstyx57
Established Member

M.O.C. #736
Tom & Phylis, we have a 3400rl and the superglide 16k..it is worth every dime. This hitch is sweet. We purchased ours from big discount rv for 1750.00 plus they paid the shipping. http://www.bigdiscountrv.com
chopstyx57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 04:50 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wow, Patty, you are amazing! What a great post! You sure put a lot of work and time into pulling all that together! Thanks for doing that.

It was interesting comparing your 2003 3295RK with our 2003 3295RK. Ours is an early model, built and delivered in July, 2002. Like you, I'd sure like to have the upgrades from the later ones but we still love our 3295RK and, despite the gorgeous new models, still haven't seen a model that fits our particular needs and desires any better than does our 3295RK.

I found a few small differences between yours and ours. Our computer desktop is not wood, it's laminate with wood trim. We have the raised panel solid oak cabinet doors but paid extra for that option. We also have the gel-coat. Our bedroom drapes are different than the rest of the coach but I'm not sure if they're what you describe on the 3400 or not. They don't have the tieback and do have the L-bracket holddowns at the bottom, keeping them from being in the way of the shades. We plan to remove the tiebacks and go to those other brackets on all our drapes, like mtmytmax did on theirs. We do not have a cabinet with door in the water closet. Ours is a shelf. Wish we had the cabinet there.

The published UVW unloaded vehicle weight on the '04 3400RL is 11380 to the 3295RK's 10360 but the GVWR max weight rating of the 3295RK is more than the 3400's, with 3295 at 14,300 and 3400 at 13,790. With ours scaling at 13,980 fully loaded it's heavier than the max for the 3400. The 3295 has 1500 lbs more cargo capacity, also, but both have plenty. One of the big selling points for us is the amount of kitchen counter space, dinner fixin' space. But that 3400 is beautiful and very spacious in the living room. That's the first thing we noticed when we saw one at a dealer. 'Wow' was our response. Beautiful rig. If it were available when we were buying we'd have to think long and hard about which to buy. But we made the right choice simply because we bought a Montana.

Thanks again for the great post.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:55 PM   #17
Montana_1237
Established Member

M.O.C. #1237
Hi everyone - BOY is this a great site or what!!! While I am not a Montana owner yet, my wife and I have high hopes of becoming one soon. Everyone on the MOC are being so helpful in answering my questions. It's sure great.

I just hope you all don't mind - Lord knows I have a lot of them. This is a big step, and I want to be sure to make the right choice. I can't say enough thanks to all of you that have responded - Montana Sky, Steve & Vicki, RC and Samantha, and John & Michele. If I'm not prepared to buy when you all get done with me, I never will be, right.

Samantha, thank you very, very much for the detailed post. I can't believe the work you put into it. It is so informative and complete. As I said before, Phyllis and I fell in love with the 3295 the first time we saw it. We didn't know about the Big Sky until we saw one at the La Conner camp site we stayed at a few weeks after we had been to an RV show. Samantha, your post has really given us a lot to think about. I only hope that when we finally have ours and hit the road, that we will be able to run into all of you somewhere and shake your hand and say thanks face to face.

We now have a decision to make between the Big Sky or the 3400. That rear living room is a real draw. But, the cabinet space and storage in the 3295 is a plus also. We also found that the outside storage under the bedroom in the 3295 to be larger than the 3400.

I print out every post that is informative and pertinent to our decision. So again, thanks to everyone.

Tom n Phyllis
Old 06-26-2004, 06:15 PM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Tom,
Check out www.Bluecrick.com There is a pic under the inventory link of the Big Sky 3295RK with all the upgraded options including the paint. Really a sharp looking coach. Just thought you might like to see that. Keep us posted on what you have decided. I do like the rear kitchen, but since I use mine mainly as a lake cabin with a few road trips a year, I decided that the rear living room with all seats that face the fireplace and tv would better suit me for watching movies and hanging out after a fun hot day on the water. Any more questions let us know. We enjoy sharing our thoughts and knowledge to anyone who will ask or listen.