Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2009, 05:39 AM   #1
ileyld
Established Member

M.O.C. #9071
RV Tax & License

I am about to become a full time RVer. I need a tax base, and mail forwarding.Has anyone used rvtax.com in Montana? The letter I received from them was very impressive. I like what I see, but would like to hear from someone that uses them.
This forum is great.
Thank You
Lonnie&Linda

ileyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
There are a 122 folks in Colorado paying $2.7 million in restitution to the State that are probably sorry they used them.

sorry people

May or may not apply to your situation, but beware.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We use this company now for 4 years and are very happy. You need to not just Reg. the RV but all. become a full SD resident no ties to property in another state. regardless of where you temp stay and have your mail Fwd to you, check the laws.

http://www.americas-mailbox.com/
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Go to escapees.com and become a Texan.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I thought about using SKPs but since I am from Tennessee there are just too many Texans there. I use Americas-Mailbox in Rapid City. Been with them for over 4 years now with no complaints except one. After I listed with them, I got called for Jury Duty in Rapid City. Oh, well. Some bad with the good, huh.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:32 AM   #6
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
we use Americas Mailbox also and are very pleased with the service! we went and toured the place and met the crew when we were in Rapid City to do all the registration, DL and all that stuff. Don the owner is a great guy and the girls are all on the ball. They made the transition very easy!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:58 AM   #7
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We also use americas mailbox in Rapid City SD. Very easy to use...you can even set up your mail on a reccuring system right on the internet. They are very prompt and if somthing happens like a snowstorm and they have to delay, they send out an e-mail so you are aware of delay. Very affordable 99$ year plus postage and $1.00 handling fee. And they will handle all your title changeover for a small fee, the only thing you must go to the state for is DL every five years. Good luck with full-timing you will LOVE it. Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lasater

I thought about using SKPs but since I am from Tennessee there are just too many Texans there. I use Americas-Mailbox in Rapid City. Been with them for over 4 years now with no complaints except one. After I listed with them, I got called for Jury Duty in Rapid City. Oh, well. Some bad with the good, huh.
Brad, you might call the courthouse about that jury duty notice. When I called the Minnehaha County (Sioux Falls) number listed on my jury duty notice the message said if we're fulltime rv'ers to write 'fulltime rv'er' on the back of the questionnaire, sign and date it, return it and they'd send me letter excusing me from jury duty. I did. They did. I'm happy. This was in the last couple of months. There's a thread on MOC I started to report about this. Good luck, I hope your county does the same.

Lonnie & Linda, if you have any interest in South Dakota, we use Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls. The url is www.alternativeresources.net . If I can answer any questions, don't hesitate to click the envelope icon above this post and email me. We've used them since Feb 2003.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We second the motion of Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls. We've been with them two years now and have had great service. DL and tags were easy to get as well as insurance.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
We've also used Alternative Resources for the last two years with good results.

FYI, when people look at the MOC license plate holder on our vehicles, they all think we have Montana license plates rather than South Dakota plates because the MOC holder obscures the South Dakota script on the license plates. Wating to see if and when we get ticketed for obscuring part of our license plates.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We have used Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls for 6 years and have found them to be very good.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
First let me say that we also use Alternative Resources and are very happy with it....

Off the track just a bit is the maps I see of Steve/Vicki and Bob n Pam.... What do you have against North Dakota? It is a great state... (In the summer)

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Isn't that funny that we are so close yet so far away! We had intended to go to North Dakota on our way back from Alaska last summer, but it just didn't work out that way. It's on our "list".

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

First let me say that we also use Alternative Resources and are very happy with it....

Off the track just a bit is the maps I see of Steve/Vicki and Bob n Pam.... What do you have against North Dakota? It is a great state... (In the summer)

Helen
ND is high on my list to get to yet, Helen. Especially TR NP. I recently requested and received a ND vacation guide. Next year or the one after...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #15
pms2554

M.O.C. #6945
Check this artical from associte press dated 12/11/09
http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/even.../id/D9CGP1503/
This is what maybe required to renew your South Dakota driver licenses in the future.
pms2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #16
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
Now that is a very interesting article, something for all to look at close. May have to follow up on this to see how it does affect so many of us full-timers. Nothin good lasts forever
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:08 AM   #17
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
All of us that use Alternative Resources received instructions for this change and it does not look like it will be a problem at all. The State is very good to RV'ers. I just received an extension on my renewal of my license in the form of a temporary permit to my current one until we get back there in May. I will not have to take the test over again.

I have to bring the receipt of the campground we stay at while there and my passport or birth certificate. Not a problem for me.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:22 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Montana LLC is NOT a good idea. We have run across several folks on the road who are now in big trouble.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:33 AM   #19
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

The Montana LLC is NOT a good idea. We have run across several folks on the road who are now in big trouble.
Yes Rich, and I'd venture to guess that these same people were warned about the Montana LLC thing not being good for us who are full timers. The only way it works is if you are using Montana as a domicile. Sometimes people don't listen, or don't want to hear. My mother, bless her heart, used to say, "I buy you books and buy you books and all you do is chew the covers off." In other words, people do their own thing anyway.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:43 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Right Orv.. I guess I should have added...do your homework first. met a full timer in a huge MH who well knew he was doing wrong but was interested in saving a few bucks....he lost.. Others were advised by "experts" that it was legal... I still see those miss leading ad's.

Since we are not full timers but long timers we are able to maintain Ohio residence and use USPS mail fowarding or mail holding when needed. That works for us...thus far...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote