Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2007, 02:56 AM   #1
ctrocks
Established Member

M.O.C. #7038
Crowded Florida Campgrounds

DW has just retired. I Have a little time left but am thinking of "Practising Snowbird".
I may be able to get 5 or 6 wks off this winter and would like to hit Florida to escape some snow.
Are the CG crowded? Here in the northeast we can usually travel without reservations more than a day or two in advance.
We prefer basic campgrounds rather than resorts and are rather footloose.
What about other areas(Texas.NM,AZ etc)

Lots of THANKS to the load of experts at MOC.

ctrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:13 AM   #2
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
One of the ways to combat the full campgrounds is to belong to a membership campgrounds. we belong to Outdoor World and Thousand Trails membership campgrounds. Outdoor World, you can make reservations a year in advance for two weeks, out 7 days and another two week reservations. Thousand Trails is normally 90 days in advance for two week reservations. Between the two, we stay for three months in Florida for only the maint fee of the memberships. Memberships can be found in resales such as www.campgroundresales.com (Dan Monaghan). Dan found ours at a reasonable price and our annual maint fees are frozen. If you don't mind moving around every two weeks. This is a way to go. Outdoor World leases sites in three campgrounds, Sherwood Forest, Encore, and a golf community. Thousand Trails has one site,and if you get a combination membership with NACO, NACO is affiliated with Thousand Trails, and it also has a campground in Florida. That makes 5 campgrounds to move around to. Happy Trails.......Ken
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:08 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am sure there are C.G's that are full.Last year Traveling in Az we had no problem with reservations or extending reservation and the C.G's we stayed in had open spaces all season. we called around several C.G's earlier in this year and none of them were full or close to full yet in Fla.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
We have been calling several campgrounds for reservations and they all say they are holding sites for people who want to stay 2-3 months.
We have been wintering in Florida for 20 years and have not run into this before.
We will go anyway and we will find somewhere to stay. We belong to Thousand Trails also and I am sure we can get in there part of the time.
I have never stayed at Wallyworld but they may force me to start.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
It is tough as we get to this part of the year. Many CGs down here are full, but they will also have several "regulars" who cannot make it back this year due to many factors, including health, etc. If you find a CG that you like, have them put you on a waiting list.

Last year Cheryl and I came down w/o a reservation, looking for CG to stay the whole winter for. We were fortunate as we were able to stay here at Mouse Mtn, but we had to move from site to site here, 2-5 weeks at a time. This year we locked into a nice paved pullthrough site with concrete patio for the entire 6 months. We are now a "regular".

Many CGs will tell you they are full, but they always reserve a number of sites for short term campers - weekend, 2-5 days. If you find a CG you really like, tell them you mind moving around from week to week.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #6
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Coming to Florida during snowbird seaason it going to be tough unless you made a reservation last year. They come at Thanksgiving and leave at Easter.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:03 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Where in Florida do you want to be? That location will tell it all. Some areas will have vacancies and some areas won't. You got to make up your mind asap. This is my 4th winter in Florida and I know for a fact that there are some vacancies for this winter. One factor to getting a site depends on length of your stay. If you can do 2 to 3 months or more the better your odds. Less than 2 months and your pickings begin to seriously wither away. Less than a month, don't bother calling just come down and take your chances.
If you come down for the month of December your chance for a month are very good as most folks don't arrive until after New Year's.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
If you dont need full hookups or dont care about moving around a bit you can do the State Parks pretty good. If you email me Ill give you some pretty good parks. They are mostly in the middle of the state but some on the east coast. Good luck.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:44 AM   #9
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
We belong to the Good Sam Sampipers Club. January and February are a real bear to get a campground for the weekend for our group. These Rallys are usually set up away from the campground area and we make reservations at least one year in advance. LOL
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:57 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
For Texas, it depends where you want to go. South Texas, like Corpus, Rockport, the Valley, or any locations down there are pretty filled up as I understand it. I'm 14 miles from Galveston. There are several private campgrounds around here and the fill up starting in October, but I do see empty spots as I pass by. Texas has a lot of State Parks. Galveston has a State Park on the Ocean. State parks in Texas are all over the place. Just remember that as you go from the coast line of South Texas in a Northerly direciton, the weather can change many degrees. So far this year we have had extremely mile weather. 70's during the day (some 80's) to high 50/low 60's at night. Absolutely beautiful weather. Two weeks ago we were at River Valley Campground for a week and it was in the 70's all week. That location is about half way between San Antonio and Austin.

You can search on-line for RV Parks in Texas and get a lot of reading for your slack moments.

A Texas saying, "If you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes." As it's about to change.

Semper fI!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
I think there must be about 150 or so Walmarts in FL.. Just map them all out and plan to visit each one....

Sorry, just couldn't resist...
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote