Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2007, 05:33 AM   #21
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Sure hope your health improves. No fun with the "Bic C'. It is very scarey, BUT, it can be beat. Positive thoughts all the time. Same in driving with the 5er. My wife drives just to give me a break. I kind of "Persuaded" her to do it. No telling when it might become a necessity. Now she enjoys it (as long as it is a nice warm, sunny, blue sky and no obstructions). More driving will make a person more confident. My 2 cents, "IF you like camping and the two of you really enjopy it, learn to handle the 5er". Life is to short to let a little thing like that stop you. Lots of luck.

deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #22
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I'm sorry to hear about your husbands illness, and hope that he recovers from this soon.

As a single woman who goes it alone, it's not really that difficult. I drove tractor/trailers for a living off and on throughout my life, so that helps, but I really enjoy pulling the Monty, and especially backing in. (I know, kinda weird...LOL)

If you're comfortable driving the truck on it's own, then pulling the trailer is no different. Just remember to check your side mirrors every 6-8 seconds, and look WAY ahead of you. You want to know what you're getting into BEFORE you get into it. Of course, backing is a little more difficult, but it's just another challenge to be beat. You can practice in a parking lot, or in a driveway in the country if that's available to you. Just take your time, go nice a easy, and you can do it.

If this is what you enjoy, traveling and camping in your trailer, then don't let anything stop you from doing that. I'll be starting my fulltiming experience by mid May, and I don't even know where I'll end up in the fall. Maybe in Arizona, or Texas, or Oklahoma. I don't know, but thats part of the fun, part of the freedom we strive for.

Many on this forum are here to help, they are a great group of people. Hang in there Dian, and if you need anything, have any questions, or just want to "talk", just PM me. From one gal to another...you can do this...:-) Good luck to both of you.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote