Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Another Dodo Bird?

After not having a phone for 11 years we had to get a cellphone, because it was nearly impossible to find a convenient payphone when you needed one. But now we have found something else which is disappearing.

Where we are parked there is a propane filling place at a gas station about a half mile away, but they were out of propane. It is cold here and we didn't want to run short, so we thought we'll just head down the road and we'll find a place. We drove over 70 miles and only found one place which filled tanks and, of course, it was closed. Most gas stations only have propane in the small exchange tanks. Wonder if the exchange services will consider placing some seven gal. tanks in their exchange system?

mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
mobilervn that is a good idea. I have had the same problem. In fact, I stopped at a welding supply last summer for some propane. I was such a funny story I have to tell it. I went in the welding shop, the little lady behind the counter asked to help. I told her I needed some propone and she immediately screamed "we do sell propane after 1:00PM! I asked if it was a law or ordnance and she starts into this tale of woe about her husband and him working two jobs, he has to leave by noon each day to get to his night job. She sent me to the little gas station down the road no more than 100 yards. I pulled, saw the propane refill station, went inside, and was informed she did not sell propane until after 6:00 PM each day because her husband did not get off his day job until that time. At any rate, it was pretty funny that both were willing, but all the stipulations were a hoot.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I ran out on one tank, here in South Padre. I loaded my tank up and drove for 45 minutes, finally found the HINO fill station. the lady in the office said he would be here at 4:30. It was 1:20, so I guess I will wait for Monday when he comes here to the KOA-(seldom on line Internet) location.
NO ONE around here them but the one company. I am even 45 minutes away from a welding supply company. that is where I get it in K.C., I have an account there.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Wow! It is really getting to be a problem. At the price we are paying, at least here in Alabama, all the stations should be carrying it. I know, I know, you have to be certified to pump it. It requires training and an investment in an employee or two to handle the small business in comparison to other fuels.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
An exchange tanks around me are $22 and thats a 20lb. I get my 20's filled for $8.50 at a local station. I hope we are not forced to go to exchange tank!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

I ran out on one tank, here in South Padre. I loaded my tank up and drove for 45 minutes, finally found the HINO fill station. the lady in the office said he would be here at 4:30. It was 1:20, so I guess I will wait for Monday when he comes here to the KOA-(seldom on line Internet) location.
NO ONE around here them but the one company. I am even 45 minutes away from a welding supply company. that is where I get it in K.C., I have an account there.
Ozz, there is a place in Rio Hondo. Can't remember the name, but coming up 106 from your area, take a right on Reynolds a couple blocks before the draw bridge. Follow Reynolds past the school, and there is an oil company on left. I know you probably won't need it, but just in case. Atkinson and Lone Star both deliver to Port Mansfield, but if you miss them you're out of luck. $19.50 a jug at Rio Hondo.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
I guess we have been lucky cause of late the rv parks we stay at sell propane. Seems to be getting more expensive every stop, here in Alabama it goes for $19+ for 7 gals.. My buddy next door has a motorhome, and he says his biggest problem is finding a propane place with a long enough house to reach his coach, and is always worrying about having to pull up to close and damage his side-panel, so I guess it is a no win situaiton no matter if you have portable tanks or a large built in tank.

bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
I guess I should have said "hose" vice "house" in my above on the motorhome, although I guess with his 40 ft. motorhome both could apply.

bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #9
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Ozz
When you come to the feast on the 15 bring your tank and we can get it filled for a lot less. That is a 30# cylinder. I think we less then 45 minutes from you.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #10
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
There is a place (Norris RV) in Casa Grande that has a good price ($2.09). Every Monday morning when I drive by the line is out to the street and then some. It stays that way most of the day. I wait on the guy that comes thru the park ($2.69). I get 7 gals and spend 4.20 more but no waiting. I like to think my retirement is worth something. However wife says it is not. LOL
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:23 AM   #11
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Thats why I carry a third tank. It rides in the back of the pickup and I use it for the BBQ, camp light etc. When one of the two Montana tanks goes dry I can swap the spare and have ample time to find a refill location for the empty. Only once did I end up with 2 of the 3 tanks totally empty and worried about running the 3rd tank dry. And yes, I have been told its not smart or necessary to lug that third tank. But that guy needed to borrow my third tank on one trip because he ran out of propane in his 2 tanks. It has also saved my bacon (or hamburger) when the patio BBQ runs out in the middle of a meal.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote