Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2006, 10:46 AM   #21
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Even having just your first names on the sign is not necessarily fool proof either. How often have folks stopped by your rig and introduced themselves using their full name? Now how many times have you not reciprocated by giving them your full name? I'll bet more often than not. And how much longer does the conversation go on before you are telling each other the city where you all are from?? Shortly after that you are pretty much trusting your new found friends(?) and telling them when you're planning on heading back home?

If you really want to worry here's a more dangerous scenario dealing with having your name on a sign outside your rig.
You and your spouse have turned in for the night when there is a knock on the door awakening you from a deep sleep. The first words out of your mouth is "who's there". The reply from outside is "your first name here it's John, I need your help.. Now you may or may not even know someone in the park named John but after being awakened from a deep sleep your still a bit groggy and open the door to be greeted by a nut case carrying a gun.
My arguement here is I never ever open the door after I have turned in without being 200% sure who is standing on the other side. If I don't like what I see I dial 911.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:49 AM   #22
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Even having just your first names on the sign is not necessarily fool proof either. How often have folks stopped by your rig and introduced themselves using their full name? Now how many times have you not reciprocated by giving them your full name? I'll bet more often than not. And how much longer does the conversation go on before you are telling each other the city where you all are from?? Shortly after that you are pretty much trusting your new found friends(?) and telling them when you're planning on heading back home?

If you really want to worry here's a more dangerous scenario dealing with having your name on a sign outside your rig.
You and your spouse have turned in for the night when there is a knock on the door awakening you from a deep sleep. The first words out of your mouth is "who's there". The reply from outside is "your first name here it's John, I need your help.. Now you may or may not even know someone in the park named John but after being awakened from a deep sleep your still a bit groggy and open the door to be greeted by a nut case carrying a gun.
My arguement here is I never ever open the door after I have turned in without being 200% sure who is standing on the other side. If I don't like what I see I dial 911.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:30 AM   #23
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Ok Glenn, now you've convinced me, I am not getting a sign at all!! You just scared little old me! I think we will just sell the Tana and just stay home! lol

Al
P.S. Maybe we'll even get a post office box!
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:00 PM   #24
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
A PO Box works for me.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:55 PM   #25
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Glenn, Being a newbie, I just gotta ask: The scenario you describe in para 2 of your recent post, Does this happen often? Is it something I should be worried about happening as I travel? Or should I just travel with my two friends: Mr. Smith and Mr Wesson?

In all honesty, I would like to be as safe as possible. I know anything can happen at any time, but are there any crime statistics available for RV'ers to look at?

My sister and BIL have been LT'ers for 8 years and they have had nary a problem in their travels....

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Phil P.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:48 PM   #26
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I must agree with the no's on this topic. My parents were told YEARS ago, when this was a MUCH safer world, by a local sheriff. NEVER to put your name on your rig, it can cause many problems and is simply not worth the risk. Now I'll stand here and wait to get flamed.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:29 PM   #27
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Glenn,
You have both your last name and first name on your sign according to the picture you posted previously. So are ya fer or aginst? (No, Dave these are not legitimate words.)
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:09 PM   #28
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
In spite of all the rhetoric...simply do what you feel comfortable with. If you have developed various cautions because of being raised or living in Chicago, heed that experience and take whatever precautions you feel are necessary. As you go through life, you can change your behavior as your experience and observations allow you too. All the advice that does not enhance your feeling of security, discard it...you don't need it. That info that enhances your feelings of security...follow them. While only 1 in 10,000 may have a problem, if you are that one you have a problem. Protect yourself as you see fit and best.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:38 PM   #29
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Glenn,
You have both your last name and first name on your sign according to the picture you posted previously. So are ya fer or aginst? (No, Dave these are not legitimate words.)
Sue, the sign speaks for itself and that is just one of 2 that I mentioned earlier. The second one hangs by the awning and it also has our first and last names as well as our former places of residence. In well over 3 years of full timing and nearly 100 campgrounds later I have never had the slightest problem with unwanted guests. Where ever I set up for more than one night the signs go up. Anyone that attended any of the many MOC rallies we have been to can attest to my use of signage.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:54 PM   #30
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pparamore

Glenn, Being a newbie, I just gotta ask: The scenario you describe in para 2 of your recent post, Does this happen often? Is it something I should be worried about happening as I travel? Or should I just travel with my two friends: Mr. Smith and Mr Wesson?

In all honesty, I would like to be as safe as possible. I know anything can happen at any time, but are there any crime statistics available for RV'ers to look at?

My sister and BIL have been LT'ers for 8 years and they have had nary a problem in their travels....

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Phil P.
In my opinion NO on both counts. I have heard people CLAIM to KNOW someone this has happened to or they heard about this happening BUT I have yet to MEET anyone that this has actually happened to. I take with a very tiny grain of salt any unsubstantiated rumors.

None that I know of.

As far as "Or should I just travel with my two friends: Mr. Smith and Mr Wesson?" I would not carry a firearm if you gave it to me and that's a subject I do not care to discuss.

We can go on forever with the pros and cons of signage but MAMalody has pretty much given you the best advice. Do whatever feels most comfortable to you.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:50 PM   #31
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Believe only 10% of what you see and nothing zero about what you hear about what happened to someone else. You’ll sleep much better for it.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:43 AM   #32
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
We have a mail box with out names painted on it and it hangs on a metal tripod....no address, just names and since we are not full-timing at this point, our home city.

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:19 AM   #33
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
The sign we hang on our 5W pin says, "When we come to a fork in the road, we take it." Will share with anyone who wants it.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:50 AM   #34
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Skip used a chisel and hammer and made our sign on just a straight board and craved some notches around edge. Sign says Countryfolks.

Mary
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #35
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Hi all, we had ours made in Gatlinburg Tn, don't remember the company. But we have had two made and the craftsmanship is awesome. DW says we have the name, but don't know for sure were its at. If you can't get it by Google, PM us and we will try to find it. We are on our way to Cal. And don't set up Hughes Net satellite dish up unless staying more than one night, we are using wifi tonight. Good Luck...GBY..

P.S. We are full timing and have sold the stick house, but when we had the house never had a problem with theft. Also every time you post about your trip in advance lots of people read about it. The only thing left at our home base is the sewer system, water and electric.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:36 AM   #36
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome Delaine and Lindy to the MOC Family.

See you're from Tennessee, what with Nashville, Knoxville and Pigeon Forge it is one of our favorite states.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:17 AM   #37
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Delaine and Lindy,
This may be a bit off topic, but tell us about your Hughesnet dish. We asked about transferring ours to the Monty when the time comes and were told that it cannot be made mobile and that it had to remain in a fixed location. Has something changed?
Don
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:27 AM   #38
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don
Hughes (DirecWay) will tell you that but there are companies that are selling it as a mobile unit. Several of the MOC members have the mobile kind. Everything is the same except for the tripod their's is on. During our travels we have seen many of the DirecWay units in CG on tripods. We moved ours when we retired and Hughes will not acknowledge the new location since they didn't move it. We do not think we will keep it when we go fulltime.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:47 AM   #39
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
We use DISH network for our system. We have a permanent dish mounted on the stick house and for an additional $5 per month we have a second receiver box and dish antenna for the Monty. We mount this on a tripod whereever we setup. The only real difference is that we cannot get the Arizona local channels when we are in South Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska, etc....

I sure would like to have one of those dome types that automatically finds the satellite. But they are rather pricey for a fixed income.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #40
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I'm gonna use Montanaskys name and address on my sign. NOT lol
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote