Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2006, 03:37 AM   #1
Montana_6122

M.O.C. #6122
Slide Topper Opinions

We are getting close to the purchase of our new coach going through options, but we can't decide on the slide toppers. We didn't have them on our previous unit and had no issues. Can someone give me a good reason why or why not on this rather pricey option.

Montana_6122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:14 AM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi fassel lets see;
Why - Reduce chances of driving rain from getting into coach through slide seals, Cuts down on rain noise hitting the uncovered slide roof, reduces heat from radiant energy hitting slide roof, keep debris, and moisture from being dragged back inside of unit when breaking camp.
Why not - Cause for worry when strong winds are about, one more part to fail, creates new concern for water puddling on canvas, requires cleaning.
Having posted this...I'm purchasing them for my slides and have chosen the A&E Deluxe Plus slide topper, my unit purchased used has the window awnings and with this add we're gonna look more like a tent camper?! hahaha
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:30 AM   #3
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We have slide toppers and wouldn't be without them. They are noisy sometimes when the wind blows, but they protect the top of the slide so you don't bring dirt and debris into the coach. We've never worried about water puddling on them when it rains, but I believe there are supports that can be bought to bow the top so rain, etc. runs off. If we should ever decide to replace our unit, slide toppers would be a must for the new one.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:49 AM   #4
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
check out the thread "Slide toppers - friend or foe?" posted December 1, it pretty well covers what you are asking here...
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:34 AM   #5
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Have them, love them, will definitely have them again. That about sums it up.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:59 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Never had them, don't want them, won't get them. You'll get every opinion in the world on this one. They sometimes unroll while traveling down the highway. They are noisy in the wind. They have been known to rip in the wind. That's all the negatives I can provide. You will receive a lot of positive feedback.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:07 AM   #7
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Same here. Have them, love them and wouldn't be with out them.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:35 AM   #8
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We have had them on both our units and would not be without them. They definitely keep debris and water from coming into the unit when closing the slides. Personally don't know of anyone who has ever had them unroll while traveling down the highway, but guess it could happen if the toppers were not correctly installed. They can be a little noisy in high winds, but we have been in steady wind up to 40 mph with higher gusts and were not bothered by the noise. They may pocket some water when it rains but if they are properly installed it will not hurt them. Just be aware when you pull the slides in after a rain to be notify your partner so he or she will not be standing near the slide or they will get an unexpected and unwelcome shower! LOL
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:01 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I dont have them on this coach and have not had any issues. They will be on my next coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
I put the "regular" A&E's on this summer (was not aware of the awning version) and am very happy with them.

Just wanted to mention that there is a positive lock to prevent unrolling. If installed correctly, there is no way they can unroll while traveling - it is a mechanical impossibility. Maybe the older ones did not have this feature. The directions sort of indicated that it was an "option", but it must be a standard feature now.
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:39 PM   #11
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Have them on this Coach, and had them on our last Coach.

Biggest reason, we live and travel a lot in sunny areas. The slides don't have the same insulation factor as the roof does. The toppers help keep the suns heat out by keeping the slide roofs in the shade.

I believe it makes it easier on the A/C keeping the Coach cool on those hot afternoons.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:42 AM   #12
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Going to have them installed in Quartzsite on the NEW MONTY!!! About half the cost of CW
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:24 PM   #13
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I didn't have them on the first unit, but they make a difference with keeping debri and dirt from the top of your slide out. Wouldn't be without them.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:54 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes they do keep "stuff" off the top of the slides and if you live or camp in a area where "stuff" can get on your slides they are a good investment.Where we are now, Havasu City Az, there are no trees to deposit "stuff" on the slides so if we lived or camped in this area they may not be needed. We were encouraged that with a couple of days of high winds reported to be 25 to 30MPG sustained, gust of 50+, although accompanied by much flapping and banging, remained firmly attached to the camper. Also noted are many reports of slide leaks around the top of the slide due to improperly adjusted slides or improperly placed tape. We believe that the toppers may prevent these leaks(we have had none in many heavy rains) Never mind that that means spending big $ to prevent a problem that should not be there in the first place.The leaks may do more damage than the cost of the toppers. All in all it depends on how you use the camper and where you plan to camp. In our case we have them because we need them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:38 AM   #15
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Rich,
All kidding aside, do you use the beach balls under the slide topper? I'm just curious whether the extra tautness would reduce the flapping in the wind.
Don
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
To be truthful we tried them in Ohio, Didn't work, still flapped. We tried them here in Az but we were facing into the wind and they just blew out the other side. In you go outside and take a look at how that auto retractor works they are doing their job. a lot of the noise is the retractors attempting to do their job. If they make you feel better stick one under there..but not when the wind is at your front or rear..they will shoot out of there like a cannon ball. It is fun to try the " beach ball" solution and watch the results.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:22 PM   #17
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Back to my reply in another thread. Maybe its time to start a new Olympic event. Thanks for the info. When the time comes, we will just settle for the noise.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:32 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

Rich,
All kidding aside, do you use the beach balls under the slide topper? I'm just curious whether the extra tautness would reduce the flapping in the wind.
Don
Rich is right... beach balls under the slide toppers and wind don't mix (don't even think of trying to run one of those down, either BTW). However, we have found the beach ball very useful on our 3400 placed under the topper right next to the door to keep the rain from pouring down on you when you exit. If the wind is not too bad, it's worth the $1.99 to buy one...

Not really a good deterrent for eliminating flapping in the wind. Someone here - can't remember who - throws a rope over his slide and topper. This would certainly eliminate the falpping I would think.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:17 AM   #19
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
While the rope trick would diminish the flapping I wonder if it would also transfer more rain noise into the trailer? I haven't tried either one, was just throwing out my thoughts. We have learned to deal with the flapping noise once in a while. I do think the rope would act as a good way to aid in water runoff though.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In my opinion, whether to go with toppers or not depends upon how you use your rig. If you are always in the open and in decent weather then there is probably no real advantage to having them. Just be sure to check the tops of the slides before retracting them.

If you camp under trees or in icy or snowy weather, then in my opinion they are worth their weight in gold. I've never had to check the tops of the slides when we've had the toppers.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote