Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2006, 05:22 AM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Big Sky Web and Air Bed

Looks like Keystone is trying to get things cleaned up before the Christmas break. The Big Sky link is now incorporated into the www.keystonerv.com web page, and shows all floor plans, specs, and interior features.

It also shows the airbed storage and setup for those that were curious.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
That couch is very nice and the bed looks like it would be very comfy! The unit is also very nice!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
That is sooo nice.I love that shower.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
WOW i want one.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:16 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The shower and countertops are straight out of the Cambridge. Probably left over stock.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:38 PM   #6
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Very lovely!
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:59 PM   #7
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
YUP Gang, I found it, too, yesterday on Keystone's web site. Gail was looking at it as I was going thru the pictures of the 340 they put in the site. All she kept saying was,"Oh my".

I think I know what might happen so, I ain't saying a word!
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:04 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Go for it, Dale! Then you can 'officially' come to the Montana rallies!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:31 AM   #9
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
The dealer locater in the Big Sky web site shows my nearest Big Sky dealer almost 200 miles away. It does not include any of the local area Montana dealers. Does anybody know whether the local Montana dealers will eventually handle Big Sky's?
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:29 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
DonandBonnie,

That's a good question. I just assumed they all would carry the Big Sky, but maybe not. My Dealer is only going to try them out. They tried the Cambridge as well but quit based on sales. I guess the only way to really find out is to call and ask. I'm not sure how accurate that Dealer locater is.

Brad
Old 12-22-2006, 06:46 AM   #11
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
When I bought our Big Sky, not all dealers sold them. Something about they had to buy a certain amount to be a Big Sky dealer, think it was 5 or 7. Not all dealers want to tie up a lot of money in an upscale Montana. Think it was the same with the Cambridge.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:48 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Big Sky..Nice..Looks a lot like 0ur 3400, Bigger window over the table, loss of 3 overhead cabinets will have that sofa in our 3400 as soon as we can get our hands on one..and a real shower, nice, wonder if we can get one of those .. looks like a lot of upgraded wood. Nearly 2K heavier than the 3400..wonder if that is in eye candy or quality???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 04:18 AM   #13
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Rich--The weight penalty for the Big Sky appears to be a lot less than 2K. While the GVWR for the Big Sky 340 is 16,105#, the dry shipping weight of the Big Sky is only 12,355#, only 555# higher than the 11,800# shipping weight for the latest 3400s. And over 200# of this weight is the hi gloss gel coat, which is included in the Big Sky's weight but not the 3400's shipping weight. So the weight penalty is only about 350#, which to me is more than offset by the substantially increased carrying capacity, and larger braking capacity, of the Big Sky.

To me, the question is more about whether the Big Sky is worth the extra dollar cost. For the extra $7-$8K, I see some things of value in addition to the greater cargo carrying capacity and bigger brakes--the bigger, residential frig, larger microwave and bigger water heater, 32" LCD TV, nice shower, powered awning and powered rear jacks and, a plus for me, the window in the commode room--nice not to feel as enclosed in there. Also like the fact that the hi gloss gel coat will cover the basement doors, thus reducing the risk of a growing mismatch in appearance between sidewalls and basement doors as the rig ages.

As for the value of the other upgrades, I really need more info on those upgrades before I can tell what value they have to me. Since Jo and I can't make the Tampa show, I'm looking forward to the feedback from those who do attend. Is the convection oven still an Apollo, or have they gone to something better? How well does the new dinette table work and is the table and taller dinette window worth losing the cabinets above? Are the recliners and sofa actually better--sturdier, more comfortable? What about the upgraded carpets, lamps, and other upgraded fixtures? Once we know more about these upgrades, each of us can make our own judgments as to the value to us of those upgrades and whether they are worth the extra cost.

I hope before long that Jo and I get a chance to spend a good bit of time in a Big Sky before having to make the decision of which rig to order. In the meantime, I really look forward to hearing from those who make it to Tampa RV show about what they see there.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 04:36 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are correct David. If I were considering the Big Sky I would want to see where the $ 7/8 K is being spent and my guess is the that figure is MSVRP and the buy price may be more like $5/6K diff.I too am impressed with the"upgrades"However with all the attention we paid to quality or lack thereof..we were still let down and the second time around we would be super, super critical in the workmanship area.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:39 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I'm almost positive that Keystone didn't go out and hire a bunch of retired Mercedes Benz autoworkers to build the new Big Sky, so expectations for any difference in quality and workmanship would be unfounded. It will be the same guys drilling holes, running wires, and installing equipment.

Quality and workmanship is driven by the initial design engineering and the methods of assembly. I really doubt the floor assemblers will be instructed to do one model better than the other. The only way to get better or worse is to change manufacturers.

The Big Sky seems to offer a nice package of standard features with a reasonable cost based on the relative cost of similar options for the Montana line. Question is, what is it worth to you having the bigger capacitity HW tank, refrigerator, etc. I think if we were full timers, we would consider the Big Sky over the Montana line without a doubt. Not sure I can justify the cost for just part timing. Our pending 3400 is probably already a little overkill.

JMHO.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The Big Sky is set to produce 6 to 8 units a day. Quality control is one of the top issues on the requirements list for the Big Sky. Guess time will tell once the Big Sky goes into production...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:06 AM   #17
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Dave, if Keystone were really to put a lot of extra effort into quality control for the Big Sky, that would be a significant selling point in its favor. However, I suspect that, to the extent they focus on extra quality control for the Big Sky, it will be in visible fit and finish areas so that the upgraded fixtures and features look good. That doesn't address the concerns raised by what happened to Rich and Hellen last week.

Like Brad, I expect that the guys routing the electrical wiring and hydraulic lines for the Big Sky 340 will do it in exactly the same way that they do the rigging for the 3400. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised to the contrary, but I'm not building up my hopes of such a change.

However, as I expect to be fulltiming for at least the first two years starting this fall, and long-timing it thereafter, my situation is different from Brad's--for me, the larger frig, convection oven and hot water tank in the Big Sky would all provide a positive benefit for fulltiming, especially when coupled with the larger cargo capacity and what I hope/assume will be greater braking capacity. That's one of the things I appreciate about Keystone's decision to offer the Big Sky--more choices for each of us to make depending on our own particular needs and wants.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:56 AM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
David - For a full-timer, I would think the refrig and HW tank would be a huge plus-plus! All of the features would be a nice bonus, and I think the cost sound reasonable.

Brad
Old 12-26-2006, 10:43 AM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am sure not down playing the severity of Rich and Helen's electric issue, but I would not call that "a lack of quality control which is standard in the industry." More like an isolated incident. I went out and looked at my coach (a 2004 first edition of the 3400RL) and I have the plastic protection piece around the hole where all my wiring runs. I just completed my third round of summer use with my coach. Until the bedroom slide issue came about last summer, this coach has been virtually trouble free. A few minor a/c problems and some small odd adjustments is it. The coach gets used every day for 6 solid months (April - October) and has 15,000+ miles on it. I would like to think that Keystone's ability to build a superior product had a great deal to do with it. What has impressed me even further is the great length Keystone has gone in not only fixing my coach, but all the MOC members who have had issues. A company that stands behind their product says something. A good friend of mine is on his 3rd turbo on his Ford 6.0 diesel. A product built by machine, not man. I don’t feel it would be fair to say the entire LDT diesel market is horrible because 1 Ford truck is on its 3rd turbo in less than 47,000 miles. Again, just my opinion....
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:07 PM   #20
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Well said Dave.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote