Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
Dee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6426
Home from first Trip

Just got home from our first trip in our 3295, couple small glitches
but nothing major.
We put 1000 miles on it spent five nights in it and other than the kitchen slide is leaving black marks on the carpet and is obviously low on the door/tv end and needs adjusting.
and we lost one axle dust cap not the hub cap, the bearing cap had not been put in securly, and also some of the cabinet catches are too weak and the door's opened while travelling, everything seemed ok
Comparing this rig to our 2000 Alpha Ideal, I like the layout much better on this one however that said the toilet rm is kind of tight.
Lots of room in the shower and bedroom though. and overall I think it will be a fine choice. More room on this one in the kitchen Dinette
area also.
Dee

Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Great news Dee! - Don't let that slide issue linger - get it in for adjustment or whatever is required before it tears the carpet.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Dee take care of that DUST CAP ASAP also, you don't want any grit or dirt to find it's way to the wheel bearings... Glad you have a great check out trip. John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well sounds like you had a good time and a few minor glitches is no big deal but I would get them looked at ASAP. At 320+ pounds I know about the toilet room and it is another plus for the 3485s totally enclosed bathroom. All the room in the world in there for oversized folks such as I.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:21 PM   #5
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Let me guessbet you want to go again....

as far as the doors opening on the cabinets, what I do to solve them opening on the road is use 1 or 2 of the small plastic pull ties and wrap around the handles , now they never open unless I cut them off.- also if you use a small awl you can reuse them without cutting em off.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:49 PM   #6
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Dee,

For the cabinet doors, I use the short bungie-cord fasteners thru the handles. And that is only for the one that closes the TV cabinet in the bedroom. All of the others stay closed for us.

As far as the axle bearing dust cap, that does need to be fixed or replaced as soon as you can.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:45 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Dee, Camping World sells a double sided velcro that is great for keeping the cabinet doors closed, too. It also has a billion other uses, as well, such as securing wrapped up electrical cords, etc.

Sounds like you had a great experience for your first trip. The 3295 is a great model.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:34 AM   #8
Dee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6426
Just an update
Sorry for the confusion, we did pull the wheel and repack the brg and re seat the dust cap at the time I found it.
Not sure what I am going to do about the cabinet doors yet, I was thinking of putting two sets of catches in the trouble doors/drawers
but you folks have some good ideas to try also!
On the slideout issue I am going to call the factory this am to see what they recommend, as I really do not want to drag the trailer back to the selling dealer, as he has less than good comments on fixing things? Also they are 160 some miles away.
Thanks for all the great help.
Dee
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:44 AM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
For the drawers that are under the sink and in corner, under counter, we put a yard stick through the handles or a long dowel. That keeps them from opening. You can adjust the cabinet door latches to make them tighter. Don did ours. Not really sure how he did it but I will ask him and post it here.
We have the 3295 also.
I bet you can hardly wait till next trip. Have fun and enjoy your new Monty.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:56 AM   #10
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
we use the velcro to keep doors/drawers closed also. Works fine.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:37 AM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Hope you are able to get the issues resolved soon. Enjoy your new Montana, they are a nice coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
The latches have screws and can be adjusted and move the latch around. That is what Don said.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:40 AM   #13
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Lippert sells "carpet savers" for the slides that could help, but if it is out of line, it would only be a temporary fix. Good Luck!
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:37 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dee, in your packet of manuals should be one for the slide mechanisms. It tells you how to adjust it. If yours is still in warranty I think I'd let the dealer do it, though. It's not hard to do yourself once you understand the process.

On the cabinet catches, my bet is they're not properly adjusted. I found if you adjust it so the male side fits EXACTLY into the center of the female side, the latches hold much better. Both sides of the female are spring loaded. When the male side is off center you do not have full spring pressure holding the latches. That said, if you have heavy items sliding against the door then they may open despite adjustment. On those we use velcro straps to hold the handles together. Also, we have some cabinet doors that would be caught behind a slide should they open. We strap those just as a precaution ("better safe than sorry"). On our 3295, the desk drawers had potential to get caught behind the slide should they open. For those we used a dowel rod down through the drawer handles and touching the floor. That kept those from opening enough to catch on the slide.

I hope you continue to enjoy the 3295RK. We put about 50,000 miles on our 2003 3295 and lived in it during fulltime travel for 3 1/2 years before trading it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote