Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2006, 02:00 PM   #21
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
MAC - No change to plans. Sure we'll go out. I'll just be using two tow vehicles.

Just speculation anyway - I'll know more tomorrow.

Brad

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:08 PM   #22
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Amazing at how a few members don't like a change that Keystone has made and within a month, the change has been changed again. Now lets see what we can do with that mirror in the front end cap....
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I an see the hitch from the driver's seat without the mirror.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #23
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bert,
I can also see my hitch and kingpin from the drivers seat. My comment was more of a smart remark about the mirror. I hate it! I would like to see it go away! I figured if a few members from the MOC can hate a fridge cover (which at first I did not like, but the more I saw it, the more I liked it) and Keystone changed the fridge back. I could get a few members on board with me not liking the mirror and Keystone would change the cap as well. Just wishful thinking I guess.....
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #24
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Actually while they are taking the mirror away, they could add the docking lights into the cowl like they did for the Mountaineer.

Brad
Old 11-06-2006, 04:27 PM   #25
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I don't use the mirror either, it's not necessary. I was thinking I might have it engraved with some sort of wildlife picture, or replace it with something??
I like the shape of the cap, but agree with you Brad, docking lights would be cool.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #26
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ooops - not the Mountaineer, the Cougar. Here is the new front with docking lights (they actually shine down). Unfortunately it also has a mirror - even a bigger one!

Old 11-07-2006, 01:25 AM   #27
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
MontanaSky

Dave, we are not in the market for a new rig ANY time soon, but, I don't particularly like that mirror look either. Now, whether, I would use it when backing in is another thing, as I back, Al watches hitch height, etc. But, I think it is rather icky looking!

Like Lonnie B's idea, etch it! how bout bears? mountain goats? more mountains? trees, as in forest??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:04 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wait a Minute. I have the Mor-Ryde hitch pin and Keystone neglected to advise that the mirror is useless when you have one and I wonder how long it will last before it clouds up or falls off the camper. However we did some work arounds that involved yellow and blue tape and and we can, I repeat can, use the mirror to hook up..as a last resort. However I do like the "replace it with a picture" idea...Hummmm. My guess on the black door is more like ..the contract ran out, there was a problem with matching the new wood color or more than Likely a screw up in procurement and Keystone had to do something and were able to come with a few black doors as a emergency work around till they could get the wood back. Doubt very much this forum had anything to do with it other than confirm that it was a bad idea and I am sure they knew that...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:57 AM   #29
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Regarding the "mirror"...I can't say exactly, 100%, for sure about this, but I believe it is just a decal or sticky film they have put on the front. I've seen it a couple times, and I can let you know for sure when we pick ours up, but it appears as it is just nothing more than that, so perhaps one could "peel" it off? I don't think there is a danger of it falling off, as it really isn't a true mirror. From what I can remember, it actually distorts images. I can't imagine for the life of me what good it is, as I can see quite fine when backing up to the hitch. I think it will probably go away as well. It was probably designed by someone who has never pulled a camper and thought it might "help"
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:41 AM   #30
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Sky,

I'm with you, I don't like that mirror on the new units either, but maybe you should start a new topic if you want it to get the attention of Keystone. I'm not really a fan of the new front cap in general but I know I'm in the minority there so perhaps I shouldn't open my mouth. Ooops, too late!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:38 AM   #31
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rich,

I agree with you on the refrigerator - I don't think MOC was the turning point for Keystone. We were at 3 different dealers over the last two weeks, and they actually volunteered info that the fridge door has been a problem with customers.

You could be right on the production problem at Keystone, or it could have actually been the designers choice to try and match all of the black hardware for the new colors (one Dealer told me that was the reason). Irregardless, the Dealers said they had a negative reaction and I'm sure they have been putting the pressure on Keystone.

Brad
Old 11-07-2006, 04:45 AM   #32
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
MAC,

I think the change on the front end was necessary to redesign the front frame given the historical front flex problem. I believe they have shortened the overhang and shortened the pin box to reduce the stress up front, and as a result they had to modify the nose to get clearance even without a short bed. Although they advertise 30% more turning radius, I believe the basis for the change runs a little deeper than that. Truly the depth from the pin to the front cabinet is much shallower on all of the new models.

Just my thought,
Brad
Old 11-07-2006, 05:00 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The "mirror" is defiantly not a "Mirror" It is similar to "survival Mirrors" I have seen. I wonder what effect salt, road grime, etc will have on it over time...Hope it is easy to remove because I have feeling we will be doing that in the not to distant future.. As for the new front cap, don't know about the aerodynamics or improved turn ratio but we do lkike it over the previous "boxy' look.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:13 AM   #34
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mudchief

Brad my dealer told me that Keystone says you can only get it with wood now and that they offer a wood upgade kit for anyone that wanted to get rid of the black. However there is a fee.
My dealer emailed Montana and confirmed the wood panels are service items (meaning we have to order). He said an email from Montana came back very quick with the part numbers. At least Montana listened to us, however, it is at some of our expenses (mine for one) I had to pay for the glass storage doors (also as service item and now will have to pay for what I was expecting when I ordered the Montana, the wooden panels on the fridge.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:23 AM   #35
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Well, I guess I'll find out. I just ordered a new 3400RL 10 minutes ago, and the wood door is a contingent in the contract. The dealer said no problem.

We didn't go with the 10 cf option. If you do I'm not sure what that does to the door issue!

Brad
Old 11-07-2006, 09:45 AM   #36
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Congratulations Brad .
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:10 AM   #37
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Lonnie - whew, stressful day.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #38
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Brad, that is great. I know the 2 of you are excited. I can relate to that stressful day. I had to keep telling myself all day long that I was doing the right thing trading in a 1 year old unit. Now I can say I am glad I did. Now you can start planning on what "OZZ Mod's" you will be doing.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:09 PM   #39
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CampingCrazyShirley

Regarding the "mirror"...I can't say exactly, 100%, for sure about this, but I believe it is just a decal or sticky film they have put on the front. I've seen it a couple times, and I can let you know for sure when we pick ours up, but it appears as it is just nothing more than that, so perhaps one could "peel" it off? I don't think there is a danger of it falling off, as it really isn't a true mirror. From what I can remember, it actually distorts images. I can't imagine for the life of me what good it is, as I can see quite fine when backing up to the hitch. I think it will probably go away as well. It was probably designed by someone who has never pulled a camper and thought it might "help"
Actually, the mirror is some sort of metal...I waxed mine when I waxed the front of the rig.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:21 PM   #40
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Brad-Congratulations on the new 3400! That is so awesome. So how long before it gets here?
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote