Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
Polaris Family
Established Member

M.O.C. #1655
Are your manuals correct?

Just wondering how many of you have all the manuals and the proper manuals for the appliances and components in your Montana? We've found two different manufacturers information on our axels. We had no manual at all on the air conditioner. Something was amiss with the manual for the water heater (been to long to recall at this moment). And we just recently found that the converter's manual lists it as a 45 amp when it is actually a 55 amp unit. The last one was a bit of an inconvenience as we had to return the first "replacement" and REorder the correct one.

So, a word to the wise if you do your own work especially, visually inspect the item and get whatever part numbers you need from it rather than the manual given to you. Thankfully, every manufacturer we've dealt with has been very cooperative and happy to pasing on the proper manuals to us.

Polaris Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
This is one area I feel the RV industry as a whole could use some updating. Providing general manuals do not do the owners any good. I would like to see a more specific manual for each model a company produces. Just my 2 cents worth...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
I had the same issues. Two different manuals for the axles, a very generic manual from Keystone that basically said refer to the other manuals, or no manuals or instructions at all for questions I needed answered like how to operate the surround sound or Northern Breeze Fan. This post got me wondering about the converter instructions so I dug out the 3 ring binder they gave me and guess what?...no manual for the converter. I would imagine this is as much a dealer oversight as it is a Keystone issue.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:56 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We got so much more when we bought our Monty than we did our other 2 5ers, I thought we were in heaven. The only thing we have found lacking was instructions on changing the rod in the hot water heater. We had always had it done before as part of maintenance. We decided to do it ourselves this past spring and thanks to the MOC we did it.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:27 AM   #5
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
Well that's one of the things I never really checked on, so I'm not sure.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:25 AM   #6
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I too had manuals from two different axles makers as well as I was missing a manual on the IOTA convertor but thank to MOC I learned about the IQ4 plug in module that upgrades the stock unit and makes it charge faster.

I have bought a few new RVs over the years and they all seem to come with a big bunch of generic manuals but the Keystone manual is better than the ones I got from Kit, Slumberqueen and Okanagan so I guess this is an weak point for most RV companies.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:32 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Same issue here - nothing on the converter or AC. I have never been able to obtain one for the AC either, including searching thier website. Looking back, I probably should have insisted on manufacture install and owner manuals for each appliance and subsystem.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:14 AM   #8
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
has anyone found an online site to download IOTA Manuals? I just had to check and I have no manual for my unit.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:58 AM   #9
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
My unit did not come with the IOTA it came with a WFCO , but my info is lacking on just about every thing in unit.
SAD SAD SAD.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:10 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
How do you tell what kind of charger you have, w/o tearing out the wall??? I would love to just be ablr to plug in a Iota module, Don.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:15 PM   #11
DRC

M.O.C. #6063
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by illapah

has anyone found an online site to download IOTA Manuals? I just had to check and I have no manual for my unit.
Here's the link. http://www.iotaengineering.com/
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:28 PM   #12
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
dsprik...The 2007 3400s come with 55 amp Iotas.

As for the owner's manuals, none of us would put up with such a generic piece of junk on a $60k car, but we do it for RVs.

On edit: I recalled something about two manuals for axles also, so I went and looked. One booklet is for Dexter and is for AL-KO. Dexter is our axles and AL-KO (who also make axles) are our brakes. It is confusing because the AL-KO manual has a picture of three axles on the cover.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:07 PM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:[On edit: Dexter is our axles and AL-KO (who also make axles) are our brakes. It is confusing because the AL-KO manual has a picture of three axles on the cover.
Cat320, are you sure about the Al-Ko brakes? I thought that the axles and brakes came as a unit from one supplier. That is the way it looked when we toured the plant on Saturday.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:25 PM   #14
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
OntMont...absolutely not...I'm not sure of much of anything with this sorry manual we have. My logic was that I KNOW the axles are Dexters, I pulled a sticker off one that says "Dexter Axle, Keystone RV Plant #4." Since I have two owner's manuals in my stack of stuff that are AL-KO, and I know they are not the axles, what's left but the brakes?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:46 PM   #15
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
According to Dexter, they supply the axles with the brakes. As a matter of fact, it is the braking system that significantly determines the load rating of the axles - along with the springs.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:17 AM   #16
Polaris Family
Established Member

M.O.C. #1655
dsprik, we very carefully did remove it from the wall. Four screws, but more important to the undestructive removal, was being able to take out a drawer above it and push it out from the back. We should receive the correct replacement by Wed or Thurs. It should be simple from this point forward! For anyone who may need to purchase anything along these lines, I would highly recommend speeking to Randy at 888-828-1893 or WWW.BESTCONVERTER.COM He was very plesant and helpful!!
Polaris Family is offline   Reply With Quote