Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
alden3
Established Member

M.O.C. #1191
Where to put the CPAP at night

Of all the members in the MOC I can't imagine that I'm the only one that must use a CPAP (continuous positive air pressure) at night to prevent sleep apnea. I wonder if anyone else who uses one has found anywhere else to put it other than on the floor along side of the bed?

alden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
Nope! It's on the floor next to the bed - in a 3400 there is that ledge, and it sits nicely there, an when traveling, we shove the electrical chord inside the closet and leave the machine tucked in next to the bed for hook up that night. If we packed the oxygen concentrator that would pose the problem. It is heavy, cumbersome and heats up a room quite a bit, oxygen tanks need to be refilled or exchanged along the way, so we choose to leave it at home and not stay too long above 4000 feet. So CPAP is easy to deal with in our case.

Would be interested to hear what some one else does.....

Chaser
Mike (& Evy) Orlob
Retired, Rvers', NASCAR FANS
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
On the floor in the closet with the door shut to about 1" for quiet.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
I put mine on the shelf in the closet. 110 and 12v plugs at other end. Works great for me.
I put down a piece of that rubber type shelf padding and I put it there and leave it. Never had a problem when traveling. I hate sleeping with it but I feel soooo much better the next day I can't not use it. It's my new addiction.
jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have one and when I order my 5er I wqas thinking of getting a shelf with plugins installed. there is lots of us out there. Twenty years ago nobody knew of sleep apnea
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
I have been using a CPAP in my 3400RL for over a year. I have tried the floor, the ledge under the mattress overhang, and now the shelf beside my head. The noise it makes helps me sleep by drowning out both my tinitis and other incidental none constant noise sources. I have also installed a light duty 110V outlet in the garden tub wall outside so I do not have to run the cord across the floor. It taps off of the water heater wiring which runs through there. The CPAP current is a very small % of the water heater current and has not been a problem.
In a related issue, what do you dry campers with CAPAs do when you do not have 110V?
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Some have a 12v machine my old one was 110/12v the new one they are getting away from dual
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:29 PM   #8
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
My cpap is 110/12v its 3 months old and has the humidifier that snaps on. Its a pretty small unit and easy to move to and from 5er.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:51 PM   #9
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
The Secret Society of CPAPers is coming out of the closet.

I got my CPAP about 1 1/2 yrs ago. At that time I asked about 12vdc operation and was told that they do have an adapter. I don't have one yet, but I better get one.

As for 110vac operation, I use a 6' extenion cord plugged into the AC outlet in the right end of the top shelf in the closet - near TV. The cord is extended to the left end of the closet shelf. I plug the CPAP into the Extension cord. The CPAP is on the short raised floor next to the head of the bed. The little shelf next to the bed was not big enough for the CPAP.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:41 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I've had my CPAP for several years. It is both 110 and 12 volt. But I only run it on AC. When we boondock I just plug it into a small inverter. No problem and it does not deplete the batteries. I just have it sitting on the floor by the bed. I keep saying I'm going to build a little shelf for it but so far that is just a threat!

I didn't realize there were that many of us CPAPers out there.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:45 PM   #11
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Just got my CPAP this past Monday. Do I ever feel better. I have been trying to figure out where to put it when we go camping in 2 weeks, and never thought of in the closet. That will work. Never realized how many had this machine.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:47 AM   #12
alden3
Established Member

M.O.C. #1191
Thanks for all the replys! The closet sounds like a good idea as it will help eliminate the noise that disturbs my wife. Good luck to all that use these things. I've been on one for almost three years and don't like it, but yes, I sure feel better too.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:41 AM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It disturbs my wife if I DON"T have it on. Like others I put it in the closet on the shelf, slide the door to the width of the hose. Minimum noise, but my unit is very quiet anyway. Been using this thing for 12 years because I can't seem to loose the stupid 50 pounds I need to loose. I see right now though that I'm a gonna buy some CPAP manufacturers stock. There is enough business here to make a profit.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:59 AM   #14
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Gees...the CPAP gang is here...

I've had mine for about 7-8 months now.
Like Stiles, I haven't been able to drop the weight I need to. I'm sure that is a contributing factor, but I have had both Apnea and snoring since I was in my twenties and fit as can be.
The Apnea and snoring causes both my wife and I to lose sleep.
If I fall asleep without the mask I usually get a gentle nudge as a reminder.

Our unit has two areas I can use. One is inside a cubby (hidden) and the other a shelf (open).
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:57 AM   #15
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
As a nurse, I am tickled pink to see all of you excited and wearing your CPAP machines. It really will make an improvement in your health and wellness. You will wake up the next morning feeling so much better. Sleep apnea is underdiagnosed but its awareness has really skyrocketed over the last 3-5 years. Your heart, and your spouse, will appreciate your wearing it!
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:08 AM   #16
alden3
Established Member

M.O.C. #1191
Now that the secret society is out, it would be interesting to find out how many use a face mask, a nasal mask, or nasal pillows. I use a face mask because I cannot hold my mouth closed from the pressure at 13. I've also switched from a CPAP tp a BPAP!
Old 09-23-2006, 05:59 AM   #17
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Talk about being in the right place at the right time, the Asian representative of Resmed is a member of the Church I serve. By the time I return to the States, I will have the latest technology available in the mechanical treatment of sleep apnea. He has already provided me with a mask that exceeds what I had and promises more to come. My biggest problem, right now, is removing the thing in the middle of the night. It seems I enjoy aeriating my forehead.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:06 AM   #18
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
That blast of air will wake you up in the night.. I use a nasal mask. Just covers my nose. When I first got mine I tried to talk to my wife what a mistake. That was a good laugh. Now we know.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:56 AM   #19
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
LOL...sounds like Darth Vader...

Nasal mask here too - the gel type. I have a couple that I rotate 'cause they get to me after a while. When sleeping, I roll on my back and try to snore, so now I use a chin strap to keep the yapper closed.
Fortunately my wife is an RN, so it doesn't bother her at all. She'd rather me not make all the racket and stopping breathing.
Also, a little white noise in the camper works pretty well too...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:07 AM   #20
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
I use mine on the floor.
Nobody has mentioned hose lenght.
I use a 10' hose instead of the 6'.
Most insurance companies will give you a new mask, reservior and hose every 6 months.
Next time ask for a 10' hose so you can tuck the unit under the edge of the bed at night.
Happy sleeping, I have been on the cpap for 6 year and on my third machine.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote