Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2015, 04:37 AM   #1
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
anybody using a programmer

in paticular im intersted in the 6.4 powerstrokes. i have a 2008 and was looking at the edge cts2. programmer, it will allow you to turn off the cat and dpf, also has gauges to monitor turbo temp, exhaust temp, boost pressure. also can change to economy for better fuel and also a towing setup. it will also diagnose dct troublecodes. just wondering what people use for progarrmers.

okierver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #2
oceandansar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17865
I run the edge for gauges only it sits in a small piece on top of the dash and gives all kinds of readings plus it will warn when Temps start rising. I run super chips programmer set on a version that does not affect the tow capacity of the truck. With the super chips i was able to adjust the tire height so speedo is correct. Truck is an 07 and both programmers installed first year. The edge i had to drill and tap exhaust manifold for temp sensor which has had to be replaced several times. Very happy with both products. Truck is an 07 dmax classic body
oceandansar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You can't just turn off the DPF. It will fill up with soot. It must be removed. I use a Spartan and have it tuned for 210 horse. I have the DPF and the EGR removed. I love the tuner and wouldn't be without it but if you are expecting 3 or 4 more miles per gallon you are going to be disappointed. People talk about greatly improved mileage but they are looking at what the truck says instead of hand calculating it. If you tune your truck you will have a much better truck. It will drive better be more dependable. The down side is it's expensive to do and if you are on the road and have trouble with a system you have changed who is going to fix it. If you go ahead the Spartan tuner is recognized as the best one for the 6.4.
Lynwood .
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
MLH is spot on the Spartan is a clear favorite for you Powerstroke guys, go to Any Ford Forum and they tell ya the same thing,IMO the Superchips is the least favorite for ALL of us with diesels..I am glad the Superchips works for you Oceandansar but not too many people like them,
Old 10-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
oceandansar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17865
When i first got the superchips i was looking to improve mpg. I tested it on all 4 settings and did improve on the setting its on by 2mpg. I never change the setting and have never felt the need for more power. The truck runs strong. i went from an 8.1 gasser 2wd to this truck and have never regretted it. I got the edge strictly to monitor exhaust temps.
oceandansar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:04 AM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I used a Superchips on my previous truck (2007 Ram 5.9) with much success and pleasure. Ran it on "Tow" setting only and it really "woke up" that 5.9!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:24 AM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you are looking for gages the Spartan comes with a DashDAQ. There is no better set of gages made. You can monitor any signal your truck puts out and there are dozens. I monitor 9 at once and can switch screens to monitor any of them I wish. You can set alarms to warn you when one is out of bounds. It will read fault codes and erase them and do a lot more.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote