Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2007, 05:54 AM   #1
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
PDI on new rigs

We are due to pick up our 3400RL within the next two weeks (hopefully next week) depending on weather and our schedule. In preparation for that, we have printed out the incredible 12 page PDI on the MOC resource page. It is absolutely an amazing document. Having had to get creative when we picked up the '04 2980, we are really appreciating all the thought and effort that went into this document. So, our sincere thanks to those who created and posted it. You have done us all a wonderful service!!

Would those of you who who have actually used this document tell us how long it took to complete your PDI? Did you share the contents with the dealer before you arrived? Thought this would be nice though we suppose there might be some dealers who would balk at such a huge list. Our intention is to be prepared to over-night it if we don't get through the entire process in one day. Any input is appreciated. Many thanks.

Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bill,

We were very dissapointed in the Dealer efforts on our PDI. The general attitude we encountered was that they have already checked out the unit, and anything else we find becomes a warranty issue. I had to take control of the situation by locking the check in my truck and explaining that this unit does not belong to me until I say it does, and that will only occur after I have verified it is satisfactory to me!

Attitudes improved, but I was extremely uncomfortable. We spent the rest of the day going through the unit inside and out, and spent the evening in it after they closed. We found only minor issues which were reluctantly repaired. One of the bearing caps was missing and they had to remove the wheel to replace it. When I saw the air gun and asked for the lugs to be torqued instead of air hammered consistent with Keystone instructions, I got the rolling eyes.

In short, plan on taking at least a full day if repairs are required. If you get a smile and participation, you have found a great Dealer which I have yet to find. I honestly doubt I will ever get the service I need at this Dealer and am regretting I drove 400 miles to get there. The price wasn't that good!

Don't want to discourage you. The best of luck to you on delivery!

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I agree with Brad. I would show them the check list and let them know you are planning on doing a through check. If you get an attitude then make sure they know you will not sign until it is fixed. I had some minor problems, screens missing. They were ordered, I still have not received them. With that thought you may want to negotiate with them to hold a portion of the final payment until the "new" unit is complete. Right now my "Marine" attitude is coming out so let your conscious be your guide.
As Brad said, "It is not yours until you pay for it and drive it off the lot." Hold them responsible.
Good luck and I hope this has not scared you. I am sure you have a great dealer.
Good luck and tow safe.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Bill,

When we picked up my new 3075RL last month I went through pretty much everything on that list. The dealer had done their version of the PDI before we arrived and they assigned someone to give us our "Orientation". I told the orientation guy that I wanted to do the PDI list I brought with me and he said "fine, it's your trailer". He stayed with us the entire time answered any questions we had and as we looked at each section of the Monty first we would do what ever the PDI check had suggested and then he would tell us the orientation part for this section. We took a break for lunch then finished up the list. After we were done with the list let us sit it the trailer and tryout things on our own. As questions would come up I would go get him and he would come back to clarify any questions we had.

The dealer was also installing our hitch. It is a Trailer Saver that they don't sell and they had not installed before so they were taking their time with the installation. After everything had been completed and they showed me how to hitch and unhitch; one them took me out on the road for 5th wheel driving lessons since I never pulled a 5th wheel or anything else that big before. We arrived at the dealer that morning at 9:30 AM and we left at 4:30 PM.

Since we had driven 150 miles to the dealer and because they included 2 free nights at a local RV park; we stayed in the area for two nights in case anything came up.

We didn't find ANY issues at the PDI. Since the PDI we have found that we didn't get the owners manual for the DVD\CD player\Radio. This last weekend we noticed that one of the trim pieces on the underside of a kitchen cabinet is missing.

We are obviously very pleased with the Dealer and our Monty.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
We spent about four hours on the PDI and found some things that the dealer had missed. I had submitted my list to him several days before we arrived to look over. The dealer had a list that was comparable to ours and had a couple items that was not on ours, such a pressure check of the propane system with a gauge that measured the pressure in ounces, quite sensitive. Two leaks were found in the propane system, one that delayed delivery until the next day because of the difficulty in locating the leak.

I was pleased with the inspection that my dealer made. You will find things that both you and the dealer missed. These items will not be visible at PDI and will rear their ugly little heads over a period of time.

Overnighting is a good idea. There were facilites at our dealer's lot that allowed overnighting. Best of luck!!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
If it is within the rules and regulations of the forum, could posters please identify the dealerships they are talking about. Some of these places don't sound like I would like to do business with them and others I want to know about if I have service issues while I am in thier neighborhood. I will and have praised Trailside RV in Grain Valley, Mo. While thier sales staff is the usual lot of sales people, thier service department is excellent. I think others would be interested in this.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:00 PM   #7
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
I apologize but I went looking for the PDI checklist on the MOC resource page but could not locate it. Can anyone help?

Mark
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Thanks for all the advice and input which is much appreciated. Wish that everyone had had a totally positive experience--but then we knew that probably might not be the case. Am especially grateful for the advice about being tough in regard to final payment for the unit. Guess that an escrow account just like for a house might not be a bad idea if there are issues. BirdingRver--we're hoping that our PDI goes like yours!

Mark--go to www.montanaowners.com. Click on RV Related Links. You should find the PDI in the upper right hand quadrant. You will also find more RV links than you ever dreamed you would need.

We'll let you all know how it goes. If anyone else has info, please feel free to chime in. Thanks again!
Old 01-24-2007, 03:01 PM   #9
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
When I ordered my unit I told the dealer that I was going to do a PDI. I told them it would sit on the lot about a week. I ended up finding everything that was wrong with my unit, quite a few things needed to be fixed. Check everything. Even work the shower, mine leaked every where (I did not find out until I moved in.) leaked at the glass,the faucet, the surrond not a big problem as I am handy with tools. I also think the best thing you can do is take along a hose squirt the slides when closed go in side look for leaks then do this when the slides are open. Hope you enjoy yours as much as i enjoy mine
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #10
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:BirdingRVer Posted - Jan 24 2007 : 4:50:04 PM

...Since the PDI we have found that we didn't get the owners manual for the DVD\CD player\Radio...
We have the Quest DVD/CD Player/Radio too, and we never did recieve an owners manual either. Do they make one? I tried to find Quest on the internet but couldn't find anything.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:26 AM   #11
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DONnANNIE

Quote:
quote:BirdingRVer Posted - Jan 24 2007 : 4:50:04 PM

...Since the PDI we have found that we didn't get the owners manual for the DVD\CD player\Radio...
We have the Quest DVD/CD Player/Radio too, and we never did recieve an owners manual either. Do they make one? I tried to find Quest on the internet but couldn't find anything.

DONnANNIE, I sure hope there is an owners manual that remote has like 100 buttons.
I got a call from the dealer yesterday and they said that they were having a manual emailed to them and that they would forward in on to me. I had suggested that they just take the manual out of a Montana on the lot and replace it before they sold that unit. Since, they didn't do that I wonder if they found that the Montanas on the lot don't have owner's manuals for the DVD player either.

Anybody our there in MOC land actually have the Quest owners manual?

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #12
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Our PDI went really well. We were given all the time we needed.

Grant, Just looked in our Montana Folder and no we do not have a manual for the dvd/cd player/radio. I do know that with our last Montana there was a manual for the quest system. I will call tomarrow and asked the dealer if they have one. I have not read everything in the folder yet so thank you for the heads up on this one.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:52 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Campbud -

If your DVD system looks like the one in my pictures, I have the manual and will email a copy to you if you want. I believe it is a Macrovision brand (white remote), which is different than what we have seen in the inventory models.

Brad

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:59 AM   #14
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Brad I emailed you.
Bob
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:16 AM   #15
PennyC
Established Member

M.O.C. #2041
Can someone please help me find the 12 page PDI List? For some reason I don't or can't find the Resource Page.

Thank you
PennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:50 AM   #16
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Down near the bottom of the home page you will see "RV Related Links" - click on that and it brings up a multitude of goodies - on the right hand column at the top it says "PDI .....", click on that and I think the second one is the 12-pager!

Suzanne
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our dealer was very co-operative on the PDI and assigned a employee to do it with us. We did provide the dealer with a copy of the PDI before we did it. Thought that was only fair. The dealer had done the PDI before we got there but went over it agin with us. It was a 4 hour job. As others have said do not sign the check or the loan papers till you are completly satisfied.You can always buy a Montana at another place.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:20 AM   #18
PennyC
Established Member

M.O.C. #2041
To Refocused thanks for showing me the way to the 12 page PDI. I found it. Never new there was so much info on the MOC, I previously only went to the forum. Thanks again.
PennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:50 AM   #19
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Remember, you can use your PDI to your benefit if you do find a few small flaws. I had a small chip in one of the cultured granite sink covers and I was able to get some freebies thrown in instead of sending for a new cover. I got 3 max air vent covers installed for no extra money but I also did not order my unit but made the deal over the phone and subject to my liking the unit so I had the option of not closing the deal. An ordered unit may be a little different but I am sure a good dealer would want to make you happy with your purchase and if you are willing to live with a small flaw and be compensated else where, that should be OK.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #20
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
An interesting suggestion. It's always good to feel as if you are dealing from a position of strength.