Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Flashers

Learned a neat little trick at the RV show. All those units inside with the flashing running lights are powered by the trailer batteries. The Dealer just puts a standard 2-prong flasher in the 7-pin umbilical cord to flash the running lights through the battery charge wire. It also works for the brakes lights if you just rotate the flasher to the brake light spade.

I'm going to carry a small flasher in the glovebox, in case - heaven forbid - I have any reason to have to leave the Monty on the side of the road. I'll use the flasher to flash the brake lights like a 4-way flasher while I run to town in the truck for whatever reason.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Yes you can also jump those two pins with a wire to light the trailer running lights if you have to disconnect and leave your unit.
Great trick.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Sounds like a great idea Brad. Be lookin fer a flasher next trip to see Wally.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Cool! Thanks.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Brad,

I agree with John, Glenn, and Ozz, that's a pretty cool idea, that could save the unit from being clobbered by another vehicle.

You could even use them to accent your Christmas lights .

BTW, Just in case I didn't say it, that's a sharp looking rig.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
oh, I think I'll find a way to zap myself or short something out by trying that one! LOL!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I have always carried a short piece of wire for this. It works great to identify yourself in a busy campground at night.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:24 AM   #8
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Never thought of that before good idea for road side emergency. I knew about adding the flasher would make it work never thought about carrying one for road side emergency.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:33 AM   #9
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Not sure I completely understand, How & where do you connect the flasher unit?

Fordzilla, what do you do with the wire? Do you just run a jumper to the running lights?

I can just see 30 Montes at Branson with running lights or flashers going LOL
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:14 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Don,

If you hold your ambilical cord with the tab straight up and you are looking at the connections, the charge connection is the upper left as you face it. That one has 12v all the time, direct from your Monty batteries.

The upper right is the running lights. If you just plug in a 2 spade flasher into the two top connections, you get flashing running lights from your Monty batteries (RV show trick).

To make the brake lights flash, it's a little more complicated. The brake/turn lights are the far left and right connections, horizontally across from each other. Because the flasher won't directly plug into that configuration, you have to make a couple of pigtails. One from the flasher that plugs into the left top for power, and one that is split coming from the other prong on the flasher to the far left and right connections to flash the brighter brake lights.

Brad
Old 01-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I take it you need a "heavy duty" flasher, Brad?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:33 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave,

I tried the heavy duty flasher and it was too slow for the brake lights only. A standard flasher was fine.

I ended up making a little pigtail that flashes just the brakelights. I also have an extra jumper that will let me turn on the running lights steady if it's at night, so it can be seen from all angles. I would assume having it all flash might be too distracting on the side of the road.

People used to run into our firetrucks all the time, for no other reason than they were watching the pretty lights.

Brad
Old 01-25-2007, 12:07 PM   #13
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have jumped two wires added a switch and light up Monty in the Camp Ground at night sometimes tail lights and all the markers.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #14
ashlandcpa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6686
What kind of flasher is used and where can I get one. Does the flasher adapt to the plug by design or is this something that has to be altered some way. New to this and trying to learn these little tricks that don't exist in manuals. Any and all info greatly appreciated. Thanks.
ashlandcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #15
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
There is another use here. With all those white trailers in the RV parks if you have a medical emergency and have to make yourself easy to find, this is the way to go...especially at night. Just a thought.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:04 PM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
For those of you not wanting to use a flasher or pigtails, which I will admit is the cheaper way to go, RVupgrades.com has a unit that you can purchase and it has several options. A little pricey at $50.00. Just for your information....

Phil P.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:08 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ashlandcpa,

The flasher is just a 2 prong automotive flasher with the prongs at a 45 degree angle. You can get them at any auto parts store. They are just turn signal flashers that were used on every car made until they got techno. You do have to bend the prongs slightly to match the 30 degree angle on the ambilical cord, then just plug it into the top two slots.

I'll take some photos next time I go to storage.

Mike,

Good idea -

Phil,

So much for my patent idea for an onboard set of switches (hahahahah)

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....ROD&ProdID=486
Old 01-26-2007, 07:09 AM   #18
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Brad summed it up pretty good. The only thing I do different is I have a jumper wire just to turn them on and another set of jumper wires to use if I want them to blink and they are wired directly to a flasher. Whole thing cost less than 10 bucks and stores neatly about anywhere you need it.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote