Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #1
wannabervin
Established Member

M.O.C. #19242
Double paane windows?

Hello out there! DW and I are seriously considering a Montana for full timing. I want one with the 4 seasons winter package. But I see that dual pane windows are not included and must be special ordered. I would think that without dual panes, condensation on the inside would be a major problem, since moisture is the last thing you want in your RV.

So, those of you in cold areas without the double panes, how is that working for you ?

wannabervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I myself think they offer an advantage in heating, cooling and a bit quieter. Others will tell you that there is no bennifits to them because the air gap is not as big as those in a stick built home. It is as contentious as the SRW verse DRW thread. Everyone has an opinion and I am sure you will get a lot of them. Interesting fact is that some have never had the dual pane windows.
If you want them order them, that is what I did, same as getting a built in genset. Some people will argue that you need one while others will say they are happy with their genset. And now I will get off my soap box. ;-)

Tom Marty
Old 03-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #3
wannabervin
Established Member

M.O.C. #19242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
I myself think they offer an advantage in heating, cooling and a bit quieter. Others will tell you that there is no bennifits to them because the air gap is not as big as those in a stick built home. It is as contentious as the SRW verse DRW thread. Everyone has an opinion and I am sure you will get a lot of them. Interesting fact is that some have never had the dual pane windows.
If you want them order them, that is what I did, same as getting a built in genset. Some people will argue that you need one while others will say they are happy with their genset. And now I will get off my soap box. ;-)

Tom Marty
Well, I'm with you, Tom. The genset is the other thing we'll order with the double pane windows!
wannabervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:46 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Last two fivers have had dual pane glass. Granted it isn't the same as dual pane windows on a stick house, but it makes the way the fiver takes hot and cold infinitely better. As an added benefit ... it cuts down on campground noise a bunch. I don't know the weight difference, but it wasn't something I was worried about on either of my last two fivers. You'll get some saying there is no noticeable difference ... denial is a peculiar thing ... Ha!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:40 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We had dual paned windows in a previous motor home. They were good as far as insulation and noise reduction. However, after a few years some were compromised and got foggy between the pieces of glass.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:12 AM   #6
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
still fulltimin in our 07 3400RL with dual pane and genset............would not be without either!! Has been a great rig!!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
We've owned both with and without dual pane windows. We will never be without them again. My wife uses the kitchen a ton in the fall (cooler weather), the dual pane windows have cut down immensely on the condensation and they do cut down on noise intrusion. I notice less "cold spots" when sitting next to them as well.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
We had dual paned windows in a previous motor home. They were good as far as insulation and noise reduction. However, after a few years some were compromised and got foggy between the pieces of glass.
This is the reason I didn't order them. Our rig has everything but those. The dealers in the area talked me out of them as they are very expensive to replace after a few years. Now, granted not ALL will fog up, but a majority around here have. Maybe just our heat..who knows.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #9
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
We have had both in our Montanas. Would not be without again. We live in the cold and have lived in South Fla. We did have our big picture window go foggy. We took it to Hudson Fla and they fixed it. Cost right at 300.00. They have a place to stay with hookups. They pull the window and it may take 3-4 days up to a week. The lot is full of RVs If you can afford them I say get them.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #10
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethandkevin View Post
We've owned both with and without dual pane windows. We will never be without them again. My wife uses the kitchen a ton in the fall (cooler weather), the dual pane windows have cut down immensely on the condensation and they do cut down on noise intrusion. I notice less "cold spots" when sitting next to them as well.
X2 Absolutely!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:59 AM   #11
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I sold and installed a ton of replacement residential windows after retiring from my first career. A good sealed insulated window you may find in a residence should not be compared to what the RV industry is calling a dual pane insulated window. In the RV world it is simply two pieces of glass, which do not contain sealed argon gas or other UV protecting gasses in between.

I'm not saying having dual pane windows in your RV won't help on very cold days or in extreme heat, just be realistic about your expectations. If you think that sitting in Arizona summer sun you will be able to keep the inside of your RV below 80 degrees because of those windows then you will be disappointed, or you have never been to Arizona in the summer.
JandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:34 AM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We have had three Montana's now, and this is our first with dual pane windows. We think they keep the coach much quieter, and maybe just a little warmer. As with most things RV, everyone's situation is different - lifestyle, finances, usage, et. If I was fulltiming, I think I would go Solar first, possibly with lithium ion batteries for weight. Since we boondock a lot, I have two Honda's. I can take them out and use them on the stick built with the transfer switch in case we have an outage. Not a concern for a fulltimer. Best of luck.
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:23 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We examined the manufacturers specs on heat transfer and noise reduction.. We do not have them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:06 AM   #14
Bill.vannuys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17706
Spent time in Colorado the last two winters down to around 0 degrees and they keep the Montana significantly warmer without the cold spots. We can sit next to the window at freezing temperatures and it is very comfortable. no condensation either. Also, they reduce noise from outside and help with cooling in summer temperatures. It was a "must have" for us when we purchased our Montana due to our frequent cold weather travels; no regrets.

Had SOB with single pane windows a few years ago and risked frostbite getting to close to the windows in winter.

We did have a dealer at an RV Show tell us he ordered and sold nothing but dual pane window Montanas; ... then the next year at same RV Show said he had no dual pane window units and they weren't needed. Upon further investigation, it seems what ever unit he had in stock was the best to buy! His profit margin was better on the single pane windows!!!

Happy shopping.

2014 3735MK Legacy, Sailun 637s, TST 507RV TPMS, 2 Battle Born 100 AMP Lithium Batteries, Slide Toppers
2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ, 6.6L Duramax 4WD, CC, LB, SRW with Allison Transmission
Bill.vannuys is offline   Reply With Quote