Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
XCOP

M.O.C. #10569
Am I crazy?

I am towing with a 1989 Ford F20 7.5 liter (460 CU) gasoline engine with 5 speed manual transmission. This truck has 130K on it and is in great condition. I have driving this rig pulling 5th wheels for many years, with no major problems. I service it regularly and except for some worn out parts that have had to be replace, it has worked beautifully. I recently had it painted, because I LOVE THIS TRUCK. I got it several years ago as a package deal and drove it from Idaho to Arkansas pulling a 36ft Kit Manufacturing 5th wheel weighing in excess of 12,000lbs. I bogged down a little in the mountains, but didn't stumble at all. Have continued to have wonderful performance since. I get what I think is average mileage (9 mpg) while pulling, 12mpg unladen. What do you all think of my decision to keep driving the old gal? My wife sometimes worries, but I am very confident in it.

XCOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I think you may be on borrowed time at 21 years for this truck. Not much mileage on it, but sounds like it's been working hard. What's the availability of parts and reliable repairs, especially if you're on the road when you have trouble?

It's a hard decision to make, but see if you've been making any excuses for its condition because it's your favorite.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
It would be hard to give up something that has been that reliable unless you are starting to see signs it may be just the beginning of the end, so to speak.
Although not towing anything of any consequence, I drove a 1987 Ford Bronco 5.0 liter 10 years and nearly 210,000 miles. Only replaced a water pump, power steering pump, one U joint, a cracked exhaust manifold, and one injector in that time. Still had the original alternator and starter. At just over 208,000, the timing chain broke. First time it ever left me stranded. Decided to trade it at that point thinking the mechanical problems may be just starting. And the paint was fading/oxidizing and the interior was nearing needing to be replaced. Hated to let it go, but it served me well.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You have asked the $64K question and only you can answer it. I guess you will have to make a decision chart and then go from there.

Reference MPG the diesels will do at least 10 towing and 15 to 20 MPG on the open highway empty. So that has to go in one of your decision check marks.

If you are doing over 20K miles a year on the road the concern of breakdowns, availability of parts and knowledgeable service centers needs to be addressed.

Has the service costs exceeded the service availability.

What is your buying power?

Is it time to retire it and thank it for the wonderful service.

Since you asked the question then I think you are starting to get concerned about reliability.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
XCOP

M.O.C. #10569
Well, as far as miles towing goes. We generally do not do over 4K-5K a year. I have had a thorough check out by a reliable mechanic about every 3 years and she is still showing all green lights. I have replaced the water pump and the AC compressor in the last couple of years. As for availability of parts, have never had any problem getting what I need, even in a small town like my home. She is not showing any signs of losing any power. I guess I just look a little odd with an antiquated tow rig in front newer Montana 5th wheel. But with new paint job she shows pretty well. I am new to this forum, and have been getting an education from the well written and informative comments. Thanks.
XCOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
I don't know if any of the new ones can be trusted either. I keep reading posts on problems from all brands. I have a 2006 Chevrolet with a Duramax diesel. I visit the Diesel Place often to see what problems people are having. Many!!! I was in Ocean City, MD last week when my check engine light came on (25,800 miles). Pulled into a Chevy dealer and had them read the codes - turbocharger vane position sensor. They couldn't tell me EXACTLY what was going on but they did re-set the computer (charged me $93) and sent me on my way. I called my home dealer and set up a service appointment to have it checked. He told me that I should be safe to drive it home. They (Chevy) had issued a tsb on this part and they were also having some problems with bad turbos. GREAT!! I really didn't think it was the turbo as it did not lose power. I did make it home without incident or the CEL coming on again. DW was very nervous on the trip home. Also had a flat on the truck after leaving the campground. Don't know what happened there but I have 4 new tires on order. I do keep up with maintenance, tire checks, cleaning, etc. but stuff happens. It's a crapshoot!!

Old 07-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I don't know your age but as I get older I could care less what others think about an old truck pulling a new rig as long as the old truck looks respectable. If you feel good about driving it and its' dependability keep on driving it. A new one is probably almost as likely to leave you stranded as an old one just because they are so much more sophisticated. (ie, more stuff to go wrong or warning lights to make you think something is wrong) No more miles than you are talking about the fuel savings doesn't come close to the cost of a new truck. Jim
Old 07-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
It's doing the job, you love the truck, and you have maintained it well, what's to worry? So you are in some small out of the way place and can't get parts for a couple of days, sit back relax and enjoy the neighborhood. Go out and price a replacement and when you pick yourself up off the ground, go kiss the old gal and merrily drive off. Safe travels.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Xcop,
I think you've gotten some good advice from your fellow MOC members. When it gets down to it ONLY you can decide what to do. I'd love to see some pictures of your truck and trailer. Let us see what you're talking about.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Our truck is 15 years old and is still going. We have a motto: "We're getting a new truck one part at a time."

If you like your truck like we like ours, and your truck handles the rig well, like ours does, then why put yourself in hock?

Like jimcol said, if it does the job and is decent shape, stay with it.

If I had to put in a new/rebuilt powerstroke engine in ours, it would be a lot easier for me to pay off $5-6K than $40-50K. SS and AF retirment only go so far.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #11
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
It runs. It's paid for. Nuf said!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:28 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Add 4 more years and in many states you get antique plates. Does the value go up then, or is it just sentimental. Maybe it should be in a barn until it's ready for antique pastures/showings. It's paid for, not much trade in value, give the good old gal a rest. Go to the barn and pat her each day. You can always get one of those bumper stickers made that says, "My other Ford is an '89."
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:57 AM   #13
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Do what makes you feel good, I drive a 10 year old truck and don't give a rip what others think. Check all the reports on the diesal forums and see if a 50K investment in a new truck is worth it. By the way, my son is a GM Master mechanic and the DuraMax and Allison transmission has but three of his kids through college and he lives is a 3/4 million home, so don't belive all you hear about the new vehicles, old ain't necessairly bad, I'm 70 myself and don't feel that experienced is bad.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #14
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
The problem with the 460 is not the engine itself. They are notorious for cracking exhaust manifolds and eating catalytic converters. We had a 1990 SOB motorhome with a 460 that went through 2 converters in less than 20,000 miles.

Sounds like you got a good one.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Yes you are crazy, but keep the truck. You like it.
My friend has a 76 F150 he bought new. He says "Just 3 mare payments and that baby will be all mine" We waxed all the blue paint we could find on it, that didn't take long.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #16
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I'd keep it and keep towing with it. Sounds like a great truck. Relax and enjoy it.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:44 AM   #17
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
I tow with a early 99 superduty bought new in 1998, 12 years old, has the 7.3, just turned 100K. It's just getting broke in good seems to tow better every time out. There is no way I want to trade for a newer one at this point. Mine still looks new, and I know what I got. When you get a good one hang on to it, and from the sounds of it you have a good one.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:09 AM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quit trying to make excuses for him, He is crazy.
The man is crazy.
Like a FOX.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:09 AM   #19
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
The new diesels have great power and towing ability but at over $50k are expensive. The decision to change would probably depend on how much discretionary income you're willing to spend on a new truck. Also, for me, reliability and having a warrenty are important criteria, especially for the expense of fixing a new truck. I like the new features and have had diesels for many years and like them for pulling. Have had two Dodge Cummins (2001,2004)and four Ford diesels (1986,1993,2000,2008).

Your truck has served you well and only you can decide when it's time to put her out to pasture. If you can afford it, I'd retire her while she is "standing tall" and her memories are more positive than negative. Keep her around and give her a well deserved rest. The new 2011 diesels have tremendous power specs! Whatever you do make your decision work for you.
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #20
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Just MHO of course, but that's high mileage for a gas engine that is going to be hauling a 5th wheel as heavy as a Montana. If you don't want to part with the bucks for a new diesel, you might check those that are a few years old. If it was me, I'd check the Chevy and Dodge...Ford makes a great truck, but have had problems with their last two engines (6.0 and 6.4).
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote