Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Unhitched
Established Member

M.O.C. #10157
Mor/Ryde Hitch Pin?

Picked up our new 3400RL on the weekend, and left Sunday morning for our Annual trec to New Hampshire. About a 12 hour run. This is our 1st. rig with the Mor/Ryde hitch pin. We did not notice any real difference in towing with the new Hitch Pin. We still had clunking noises, as we went along. It really didn't seem to tow any better than with what we had before.
Is something "out of wack?" Is there some adjustment I should make?

Perhaps I was expecting too much, but I really don't see much difference with this set-up, than what I had before.

All comments will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Unhitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is clunking and there is chucking. Chucking is that back and forth motion and that should have been greatly reduced. Clunking may be another issue.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
We just got out 2011 3400 rl Hickory and noticed a much better ride with the new Mor/ryde pin. I don't think there are any adjustments that can be made.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
We had a regular pin box on our previous rig and now have the MorRyde on the current Monty. I could notice a difference right away. It was much more of a smooth ride.
With that said our hitch is a standard 16K Reese hitch. Sometimes previously and now there might be a little rocking of the legs that attach to the rails. This causes some noises that mirrors clunking sounds. This isn't a constant thing. There is not any chucking that I notice.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Unhitched

Picked up our new 3400RL on the weekend, and left Sunday morning for our Annual trec to New Hampshire. About a 12 hour run. This is our 1st. rig with the Mor/Ryde hitch pin. We did not notice any real difference in towing with the new Hitch Pin. We still had clunking noises, as we went along. It really didn't seem to tow any better than with what we had before.
Is something "out of wack?" Is there some adjustment I should make?

Perhaps I was expecting too much, but I really don't see much difference with this set-up, than what I had before.

All comments will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Just replaced the stock pin box with Mor/Ryde pin box last weekend. I haven't be on trip yet, but just taking Monty back to storage, I noticed a big difference. Gone is the jerk every time you let off the gas when the Torque Convert is locked, or when I switch gears on the Aux Transmission (with Torque Converter locked).
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
As stated previously, not sure what your description of "clunking" means. If you get this sound when starting, stopping, slowing down or speeding up, then check that your truck and trailer are level with each other. We had this problem with ours, and the Mor/Ryde people at the Fall rally looked at our unit and suggested a change in our air bag pressure. This fixed the noise.

Alan & Kathy
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
When we first looked at our 3400RL, I thought for sure it had the Mor/Ryde hitch pin on it. Then when we took delivery of it I noticed that it didn't have it. I kind of showed my butt, thinking they had taken it off between the time I gave them the check, and the time we picked it up. I ended up calling Keystone to find out if it had the Mor/Ryde on it when it left the plant. I ended up eating crow over that one. But I'm good at that! Anyway, when I spoke to the dealer about having it installed, they talked me out of it. Saying that the difference wasn't worth the expense. Told me it would cost about $1700.00. Now after reading the other threads, I'm wondering if maybe I should go ahead and have it put on. I do have some chucking, but it isn't that bad to me.... Joe
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I just ordered the Mor-Ryde for my 3075. the cost was $650 plus about $50 for installation. I can tolerate clunking but I really get tired of chucking. We installed this pin-box on our '03 2955 and were glad we did. this is our 2nd Monty so it gets the Mor-Ryde treatment also.

check some more dealers. $1700 is a rip-off.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:50 AM   #9
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Dont think there's any adjustment on the Mor/ryde hitch pin but you should be able to see signs of movement, a circular motion where the teflon blocks support the pin plate.
Also, depending on the hitch you have the clearance between the pin and latch could be enough to cause the "clunking" sound your hearing.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
oscarj
Established Member

M.O.C. #8152
Love the Airborne Sidewinder!
oscarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:45 AM   #11
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We just went through the process of trading our 07/3400 for our new 2010/3455SA. On trade day we pulled the old one down the highway 120 miles to our dealer and later the same day pulled the new 3455SA with the factory Mor/ryde pin box back down the same route only in reverse. We noticed the towing difference immediately, chucking was nearly eliminated on that stretch of highway, the jerking from starts and stops can be severely reduced as well depending on how aggressive one is with the accelerator pedal.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote