Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Fireplace surround dowel replacements

For those of you who have removed your fireplace surround, you know you have to remove the factory dowel plugs, and this can be difficult because they usually need to be drilled in order to remove.

My solution is simple and looks great. At Home Depot, purchase a 25 pack of 3/8" Oak buttons (Wolfcraft #3010). These buttons have a lip on them that when inserted into the existing hole in surround, fit tight but don't allow the button to go all the way in. Thus easy to remove in the future.

To stain them to match, purchase a Minwax Stain Marker in Golden Oak, #210B.

Hope this helps others.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
PERFECT!!! How did you know I was just getting read to try to get these out, Michael??? I have an annoying rattle that I can't cure from the outside, apparently. Going to have to pull the fireplace out. Thanks for the timely tip!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:29 AM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Dave,

While you're in the fireplace, take off the top cover and (after unplugging unit from 110v), make sure your line and neutral connections from the zip cord (plug end) are tight at the connector block.

Also, the noise (we had one, too), may be coming from the heater unit. I called Dimplex and they sent me a new unit. Took about an hour to replace - many screws to remove!

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just removed my fireplace. My "Flame" motor is shot. This is the tiny electric motor that spins the aluminum flame fingers at variable speeds. I removed one screw off the top of the unit. Couldn't get it matched back up with the hole, so I left it out (doesn't affect anything). My vibration is gone.

Michael, I had the top off, but didn't see any loose connections. I called Dimplex and my new motor is on the way. That will definitely be a LOT of screws when I change that out...
Old 10-30-2006, 12:14 PM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Dave, a scratch awl makes a good line up tool for screw holes. In the millwright trade line up bars are one of our most used tools and we have them in all sizes. Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Don. It may be a blessing that I can't get that one screw in. This is the quietest this fireplace has been since we first got the Montana.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Dave,

See this thread for checking the connector block. Notice the charred area:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=18153
Old 10-31-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Michael. Got it. I will check this. I had that top off and glanced at it. Obviously, there wasn't anything like what your picture shows, as it would have drawn my attention immediately. However, it doesn't mean somethings not loose. I will check the amp pull when out of the insert.