Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2005, 05:06 AM   #1
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Remote thermostat

I know it has been discussed in past but here we go again. Has anyone with a new 2005 unit had any success with the remote thermostats yet? Wanted to change it out but cannot since it has phone like jacks terminals, don't know which is which to tap into. We cannot for life of it get this thing to work correct. looks like about a 10 degree diff in unit it either burns you up or freezes you out not middle ground. If anyone has gotten it figured out or switched it out please post it and how it is done so I can figure this thing out. thanks

Hello MOC Members,

First I would like to ask Broome101 to please forgive me for the intrusion of his post.

I have received the communication following my signature from Dometic. Since there has been so much confusion on this issue I wanted to post this at the beginning of this thread. I will also be including it at the end of this thread. This topic will be locked and another started with the same title so your conversations can continue.

Thank you for your understanding on this issue and devotion to the club.

Lady RV

Quote:
quote:We have noticed much conversation on this web site regarding the temperature sensitivity of the Dometic Infra Red Remote Control air conditioning system on Keystone Montana Fifth Wheel products. We wanted to offer some information that may help ease your mind.

The vast majorities of these systems are and will continue to function properly. If you have a system that is operating properly, it would be unusual for it to fail over time.

There have been a small number of Montana products exhibiting a temperature variation issue, most of which are furnace side only. Rest assured, this condition can be corrected through your dealer after a simple diagnostic procedure. We have been in contact with Keystone regarding this situation and we both stand ready to assist if you are experiencing this issue. If you feel you are having an issue with temperature variation, we would recommend making an appointment with your selling dealer at your earliest convenience to have it checked out.

If you need additional assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us direct at customersupportcenter@dometicusa.com or Keystone at www.keystonerv.com.

Thank you,
Dometic Corporation

Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 05:38 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Welcome to the club. Follow the thread in "hey Keystone" and see what develops.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:05 AM   #3
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
After seeing this thread, I got a little curious. We haven't had good enought weather to try out our 2005 3500RL, so I don't know how well the remote is going to work. As sort of a pre-emptive measure, I e-mailed Dometic and ask the about replacing the remote with their Comfort Control Center. Here's their response:

"You can replace your remote control with the comfort control center. You would have to replace the control board, and thermostat. Depending on the location of your reciever, you may also have to use a remote temperature sensor. Hopefully your reciever is mounted on the wall and would allow for an easy conversion. In most circumstances, you would not have to re-route wiring. Please contact us at 800-544-4881 with any concerns or questions you may have. We will gladly
answer them. Thank you
Customer Support Center
Dometic Corporation "
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
After reading this thread and other complaints, I went looking. Beleive me, I did not believe what I found. Keystone says the remote is too complicated for us dummies and if we would just read the instructions and follow them, everything would be OK, at least that is how I interpreted it. My dealer doesn't know how to work it either. Fortunately I have not picked up my 3400RL yet. When I do, If they can't make it work and show me how, I will not take delivery until the problem is solved.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:00 AM   #5
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
What... Keystone thinks it's customers are dummies????

Sorta goes back to my position when I was "trashed" quality and reliability is not the greatest.

As good or as bad as they are... I have one and I'm stuck with it unless I want to trade a almost new heavily customized unit.

I am however thrilled I had the old thermostat.

Hunter Programmables forever!!!!
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Radhazjoe -

Where did you get the information from Keystone, just curious? We are awaiting our first trip of the year to our Montana and our dealer is ready with some things for us to try. The impression I got from the dealer was that there are a few issues that Dometic has discovered and that we are going to go through a step-by-step analysis. The day I was in the shop, the service tech wasn't in to give me the directions. So I figured I'd wait until just before I headed over. If I get that info beforehand, I'll post for everyone. It seems to be a consistent offset for heat and A/C - about ten degrees.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:56 PM   #7
Montana_2730
Established Member

M.O.C. #2730
I really do not understand all the problems people have with the remote. It is very easy to work. My Monty came with instructions on how to use it. And my dealer throughly knew how to use it and showed me. There is a lag time if you make a mistake and run the heater and then ask for AC, but the book explains that and so did the dealer. I really think the remote is just tooooo... much technology for some people. Heck if you knew how many remotes it takes me to turn my home TV/Stereo/DVD/SAT you'll laugh. I really like the fact I can sit in my recliner with a beer watching the TV in the Monty an go from summer to winter without getting up. My suggestion is understand what the little symbols mean on the remote and find a knowledgeable dealer. There are always going to be hot and cold spots in these fifth wheels. Buy some fans to move the air around.
Montana_2730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Switching to the Hunter got rid of my cold spots... no problem now... however I had the old thermostat. No fuss no fans....

It sounds like a lot of folks did not get a manual. Any chance of posting it so we can all read it???

How about the folks with a problem... did the dealer give you a set of instructions???? like travelingman or did they "forget"????
Old 02-17-2005, 05:12 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I'm sorry but I don't like being called dumb. I've read the "manual", I understand the symbols, I know the functions but the setting is still about 10 degrees off. I think if you will read all the posts you will find that is what most people are complaining about. We've just learned to add 10 to what we want. And no it is not too much technology for me to understand.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:46 PM   #10
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
I agree with Parrothead, and disagree with travelingman. The new remote unit is NOT designed properly. Ours is also off by 10 degrees, as most are. It has NOTHING to do with reading the instructions or having a high intelligence!
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:01 AM   #11
RAMBIGSKY
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2835
MOC Members please remember the mission of this forum/club.

"To Provide Montana RV enthusiasts a calm and inviting atmosphere to exchange valuable information, and enhance their general RV-ing experience."
RAMBIGSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 02:25 AM   #12
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Sorry Mom.

I presume it's safe to ask "Where are the sensors for this thing?".

My old style thermostat shared an inside wall with the converter. I isolated it from the wall space years ago. They haven't done something silly like put the sensors in the ceiling have they???
Old 02-18-2005, 03:48 AM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Thank you RAMBIGSKY. There seems to be a few hosstile posts lately and I was just about to quit this forum.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 11:47 AM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Parrothead -

I also read the manual and understand it. I have found that Dometic and Keystone are telling people two different things. I talked to Keystone today and they suggested replacing the remote. Dometic told our dealer that they believe it is the location of the sensor (believe Gruffy mentioned that). I asked my dealer to get Dometic and Keystone together so that they can get their story straight. I am supposed to hear something next week. I will be calling on Tuesday. Travelingman, regardless of how long it stabilizes, it is still off 10 degrees. Once set at 10 degrees off (82) it keeps everything perfect.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:13 PM   #15
Montana_2730
Established Member

M.O.C. #2730
Sorry, I did not mean to raise some eyebrows. I do not know of a way to post a PDF so here are pictures of the three most important pages in the operation of the remote. The handheld remote can only be the culprit of temperature fluctuations if is in the "I feel mode". When in this mode it is acting like the receiver and sending temperature readings to the furnace or AC from where I have it located in the trailer. They should label it "Please do not leave it outside". The receiver sends the signal to your furnace to ask for heat or your AC to ask for air. My receiver is on the wall as you go up the steps to the bedroom. It does a good job of regulating the temp but my 2955 has drafts because of bad circulation. If the receiver is seeing drafts which I suspect it is because of poor heat circulation then you will have 10 degree fluctuations. I noticed how cold the bedroom is versus the living area so I have a fan blowing air up into the bedroom to move the air around when going to sleep. If you shut the doors the receiver will only do a good job of sensing the living area and not the bedroom. The next three pictures should help those that may not have gotten this info. Or help those who would like to know something about the remote. Please forgive the size.

http://tinypic.com/1rrknn

http://tinypic.com/1rrkwj

http://tinypic.com/1rrl1z
Montana_2730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 08:49 PM   #16
Tall Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #2385
I have the same unit in my Everest. The sensor is up in the ceiling with the unit, which would lead to incorrect readings. You can switch the sensor to the remote device as long as the device is within sending range of the unit. Mine has a rack on the wall by the stairs, which does work to the unit. My dealer could explain it all to me very reasonable, but the first thing I did was turn the unit off, which is not obvious until it got cold (40 degrees outside). I love my remotes, but not sure I care for this one (what happens when this breaks in 2-3 years, will I be able to find a replacement?).
Tall Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 04:54 AM   #17
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Wow treavelingman...thanks for the post. Now I see what the folks with the remotes have to deal with.

If I read the whole thing correctly it uses the AC as a dehumidifier and prefers the heat strip over the propane. A boondockers nightmare!

One more thing to add to the list of dealbreakers when we go 5er shopping next time.

Old 02-27-2005, 09:38 AM   #18
mjcjtroy
Established Member

M.O.C. #1969
We tried everything that Keystone and Dometic told us to do. Dometic admitted that the system
was so new they didn't have all the bugs worked out. Well, we were gone for a week at Thanksgiving and came back to our 3295 that was completely frozen. It was 23 degrees inside. The whole system had shut down. Since we had been working closely with our dealer and Dometic for 2 months we were losing our patience. To make a long story short we have replaced our system with a Comfort Control system. Our receiver was on the wall and did plug in like a telephone. Between our dealer and Dometic and Keystone we did not have to pay to have this replaced. The whole remote system was a nightmare for us and never worked right or kept us warm. Now that we have this new system we are cozy. No more beeps!!! We just left recently for 10 days and came back to a nice warm trailer. We had to replace a unit in the ceiling air conditioner and then the thermostat on the wall. Our local Dometic rep did this in a little over an hour. Here are the part #'s -Duo Therm Comfort Control Center #3109228.001. Our furnace is a Suburban - model SF-35-F. Serial 6 (42409148) If you would like more info we would be happy to help.Tell your technician when they contact Dometic to ask for Technical Assistance and ask to talk to Becky. She was very knowledgable.
We are brand new full-timers. This has been a disheartening experience and sometimes we wonder if we have made the right decision. However, we are trying our best to stay positive!
Mike and Carole Troy
Buffalo, WY 82834
2005 3295RK
mjcjtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:30 AM   #19
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
MJCJTROY,
How did they deal with the digital wiring did it get replaced with the wall mount unit? Not sure if you were there went they did the replacement or not. My senor is on wall but AC unit is in back of trailer not sure how they would fish that wire that far. Will let my dealer know about this and see what they can do, Thanks for the PM and input here.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:49 AM   #20
mjcjtroy
Established Member

M.O.C. #1969
They didn't have to replace any wiring. They just replaced the unit in the air conditioner so that it worked with the themostat on the wall. I gave you the wall serial # but we can't read the # on the other unit. We will send it after we get it from our dealer. Yours may be different that is why it is important to talk to a good technician at Dometic. If you call the 800 # for Dometic they will hook you up with a local technician. Good luck. Let us know how it works out. We are so much happier with this new system.
mjcjtroy is offline   Reply With Quote