Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2018, 09:26 AM   #1
teichrott
Established Member

M.O.C. #21590
Failed jacks

PMteichrott
Using our Montana 3731FL for the fourth time. Traveled to Massachusetts without issue and had a great week. When hooking up to come home, all if the jacks retracted as planned except for rear passenger side. I had to manually complete the retraction of that Jack. Once we completed hookup to the truck and before pulling out, that Jack was on the ground. I tried a reset where I put the jacks all out and hit auto retract again. One hour into our drive a passing vehicle signals that we have an issue. Pull over and find the middle AND rear passenger Jack down. Retracting them last less than 3 minutes. Calling the 24 hour service line got me a recommendation of duct taping them up... Ok what? On a Sunday no one is in. Retracted them AGAIN and used bungie cords to hold them up so that we could make it home and wait until Monday to contact service. Any thoughts? Temp 30 degrees at night. No other issues.
Late note... Upon checking hydraulic fluid... Half full.
Help!!

teichrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
So if the tank was half full with slides in and Jacks up, then you should be able to see fresh fluid somewhere on one or more jacks...or in the front compartment where the return manifold id...the one where the black lines go to. Once a long time ago, I had two loose fittings on the return manifold and I would find fluid on those connections. If this is with slides out and levelers down, then my tank is slightly more than half full.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
teichrott
Established Member

M.O.C. #21590
Slides are in and all jacks but fronts are in. No fluid can be seen. Bigger question is until I can get it in for service, we are using it. Do I need to worry about the Jacks retracting on their own? Hate to find ourselves stuck in the camper with the slides out...
Old 04-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Your rears have already proven that they move down without being told to do so. Could be that one of the solinoid on the extend manifold is not fully closed...that is the manifold with orange lines connected to it. On mine, the lines that connect to the top of the manifold...middle and forward most are the lines for the rear levelers. These are controlled by solenoids with white and purple control wires for middle solenoid and white and blue wires on forward most solenoid. New style solenoids have a 5/32" Allen screw on the bottom. These are partial turn to open or close. In your case you want to gingerly tighten clockwise to make sure it is closed all the way since you see no evidence of a leak. Chances of two rams on same side leaking internally is pretty slim. I would check the solenoid first on the extend manifold. Chances of front levelers clasping is pretty slim and can't allow front of camper to hit ground. Hope this helps you.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:03 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That doesnt sound like Lippert Customer service to me. Call them again and talk to a tech. There's another current thread with someone getting help at 8pm on a Sunday so not only are they there on Sunday, but I've never heard of Lippert telling someone to duck tape a jack up.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #6
teichrott
Established Member

M.O.C. #21590
Oh no. Not Lippert. That was Good Sam's Roadside Assistance... Sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:35 PM   #7
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
Make sure to call Lippert Customer service and let us know what you find out.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote