Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
LeBeau6268

M.O.C. #21615
Hydraulic leak on bedroom slide

On our 34000RL I noticed a hydraulic leak on our bedroom slide out. When i took the bed storage apart to get to the cylinder in noticed on each end of the ram they used a "T" connector instead of a "Right Angle" fitting. There is a cap on the unused port that looks like it has been leaking from day one.
My question is can I change this to a "right angle" fitting without having any issues to fix the leak?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bedroom cylinder.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	1562  

LeBeau6268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
That may have been used to bled the hydraulic line.
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
LeBeau6268

M.O.C. #21615
That was my thought as well, but usually the caps don't have O-rings in them. I haven't taken the cap off yet to look. I was thinking of changing it back to just a right angle fitting to eliminate the slow leak from the cap.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
From the picture the cap appears to be a JIC fitting which wouldn't have an o-ring. There should be an o-ring under the adjusting nut on the cylinder side of the tee. If that cap still leaks after tightening, it has probably been stripped.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
LeBeau6268

M.O.C. #21615
Thank you for the information. I will take a look at all that and let you know how it comes out. Again Thank you.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:56 PM   #6
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
Sorry that I didn't answer your question. Yes you could replace the tee with an elbow. Just be careful as you loosen the fitting as the oil is probably under some if not a lot of pressure.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just bump the slide switch the opposite direction to relieve most of the pressure. The cap like mentioned is a metal on metal seal. It won't hurt to leave the T on if tightening the cap stops the leak. Just back up the fitting with another wrench so you don't exert the full force of tightening up the cap onto the fitting. The part of the fitting that screws into the cylinder is a straight thread o-ring fitting. Just hand screw the fitting down snug clocked in the desired direction and use a wrench to tighten the lock nut to compress the o-ring. Don't use any sealer as they are meant to seal via the o-ring. These hydraulic systems are "self bleeding" meaning just cycle your slides all the way in and all the way out 4-5 times and you're done.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
LeBeau6268

M.O.C. #21615
All - Thank you for the input. It happens to be my luck that no one was open this weekend to purchase the right angle fitting. For a temp fix, I turned off the
slide out valves and was able to remove the cap with no pressure on the back side. I put Teflon tape on the metal to metal side. Checked it this morning and no leaks. I'm going to replace the fitting once the store opens tomorrow. Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:56 PM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Not that it matters here since you want to replace the fitting but for others ... the fittings on the hydraulic systems in our fivers do not require any sealant or tape as they are o-ring fittings or metal to metal AN type fittings such as the cap here. Thread tape on the threads does nothing as the threads are straight threads and do none of the sealing. There may be an odd ball tapered pipe fitting on the hydraulics on someone's RV, but they will be few and far between. I'd imagine you have tee fittings because they ran out of 90's and that was what was available the day your unit was made. We have gazillions of the metal to metal AN type fittings at work ... we seldom have leaks. If we do it's usually a nick in the metal taper or a cracked hard line.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:19 AM   #10
Tom Smith
Established Member

M.O.C. #10236
Hydraulic leak on bedroom slide.

Had the same thing happen on our 3400. Just tightened the fitting and fix it. I looked all over before I found it.
Tom Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #11
LeBeau6268

M.O.C. #21615
Thanks for that info! I have searched everywhere for a ninety to no avail. Any ideas on where I can find one?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:28 PM   #12
Tom Smith
Established Member

M.O.C. #10236
Any hydraulics place should have one its probably a Parker brand. It’s 9/16 -18 jic on one end where the hose connects and a #10 oring into the cylinder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7C02C30D-B894-41EB-A5BF-ECB878511C29.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	1567  
Tom Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:56 AM   #13
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
the fittings on the hydraulic systems in our fivers do not require any sealant or tape as they are o-ring fittings or metal to metal AN type fittings such as the cap here..
Hi

An and JIC fittings are 37 degree flair ASE automotive fittings are 45 degree flair.

You can’t mix them.

An auto parts store that makes hydraulic hoses will have the proper fitting just take the old one with you.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:38 PM   #14
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Phil P ... ya caught me ... spot on not ... in general conversation I refer to "AN fittings" as a cover-all for metal to metal flare fittings. If you find a big enough wrench ... they all seal for a while ...
Old 04-29-2018, 04:48 AM   #15
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Phil P ... ya caught me ... spot on not ... in general conversation I refer to "AN fittings" as a cover-all for metal to metal flare fittings. If you find a big enough wrench ... they all seal for a while ...
Hi

You were not wrong I just wanted the fellow to know that the AN-JIC fittings are not the same as a SAE fitting and not to mix them up.

A pilot friend of mine got killed because an aircraft mechanic mixed them.

Phil P
Old 04-29-2018, 06:45 AM   #16
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

You were not wrong I just wanted the fellow to know that the AN-JIC fittings are not the same as a SAE fitting and not to mix them up.

A pilot friend of mine got killed because an aircraft mechanic mixed them.

Phil P
Sorry Phil, it is tragic that your friend was killed because of someone using the wrong fitting.
This forum continues to amaze me when I see a posting such as this....there are so many knowledgeable members who are willing to help someone with a problem.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:29 AM   #17
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmthelen View Post
Sorry Phil, it is tragic that your friend was killed because of someone using the wrong fitting.
This forum continues to amaze me when I see a posting such as this....there are so many knowledgeable members who are willing to help someone with a problem.

Hi

That was now more than 20 years ago when Harry got killed.

At least in this application the only danger is making a mess in the trailer. LOL

Phil P