Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
Dave Sinclair

M.O.C. #15882
Problem found in kitchen slide electrical wiring

While do a video on a Directv sat install on our Montana High Country 305RL I discovered a possible problem with the electrical wiring that come up through the slide floor into the slide in back of the fireplace. If it is the same on all of the 305 RL models there is a big penitential for an electrical fire. The main wire is rubbing and chaffing on the bracket that holds the two propane lines. A little hard to explain, but you can see it clearly in my video. Also it shows what I did to fix it. I will put a link to the video below.
What I would like to know is, who can I call or email about the problem before others have a problem. I think they need to know so it can be fixed in the factory and more then likely a recall. Go to 8:27 in the video see what the problem is, and how to fix it if your looks like this.

https://youtu.be/UM2b_-S2g5A

Dave Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
That's good info,

Thanks

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:41 PM   #3
Fishin2dMax
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20689
Thanks for the heads-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sinclair View Post
While do a video on a Directv sat install on our Montana High Country 305RL I discovered a possible problem with the electrical wiring that come up through the slide floor into the slide in back of the fireplace. If it is the same on all of the 305 RL models there is a big penitential for an electrical fire. The main wire is rubbing and chaffing on the bracket that holds the two propane lines. A little hard to explain, but you can see it clearly in my video. Also it shows what I did to fix it. I will put a link to the video below.
What I would like to know is, who can I call or email about the problem before others have a problem. I think they need to know so it can be fixed in the factory and more then likely a recall. Go to 8:27 in the video see what the problem is, and how to fix it if your looks like this.

https://youtu.be/UM2b_-S2g5A
I just purchased a new 2018 305 RL. I will definitely go check it to see if mine has the same wire chaffing issue under the kitchen slide - thank you!
Fishin2dMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
We had a similar problem with our 2017 3611 Montana with the dinette/theater seats slide. The problem was the slide awning (not topper) would blow the fuse on occasion. The dealer checked it out saying found no problem. They hooked camper back up to my truck and the shop foreman was going over all the discrepancies listed by us. He hit the awning button and the fuse blew! Lucky us! They sent the camper back to the shop. They said the "hole" in the slide for electrical wires was too small and the wire was being crimped and rubbed. Said it was fixed by enlarging the hole and adding more protection for the wire. I haven't checked underneath and still reluctant to use the slide awning especially on one night stays! After your video, need to get under there and see for myself. Thanks for your excellent video!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Not everyone is going to do what I have done, but I have gone over my 2011 3455 sa from top to bottom/front to back looking for issues like this (have found many) and attempted to correct any rubbing/chafing issues I have found.

These kind of issues are also very prevalent in your tow vehicle engine compartment. If you start moving wires and hoses around you will be amazed at the things you find rubbing on each other.

A pound of prevention is worth a an ounce of cure
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote