Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #1
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
Wall deformation

Just curious if this is an issue. I was on the Montana RV owners group on FP and someone asked about the wall detaching or buckling on the kitchen slide. The poster indicated the wall moved when the slide was moved.

We found a deformation at the bottom of the wall on the kitchen slide next to the frig. Looks like the wall was pulled in on the inside and looks like the outside wall has also been flexed in. The FP post mentioned a broken weld. I have not noticed the wall moving, BUT I have never watched it either.

Anyone else noticed an issue like this. We have a 2015 Montana High Country 353RL. And its only been used a dozen times. No leaks or anything, but I do not like the idea if this could get worse!

Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Personally I would call Keystone and have a case opened on it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Might be a simple slide adjustment, biput agree with Dick's recommendation
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
timandpeggy
Established Member

M.O.C. #17685
The other poster was me. My suggestion is contact Keystone and send them video/ photos of the affected area. This appears to be an ongoing issue with the 352/ 353 series and Keystone really needs to come up with a hard fix. I have read of at least 2 other 352/ 353's with the same issues.

BTW, my rig is an early 2016 (built June 2015). Either they have an engineering issue or a manufacturing issue that manifested around that time.
timandpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:08 AM   #5
jrmart77
Established Member

M.O.C. #17919
We have a 2016 Montana High Country 353RL. The wall between the Kitchen Slide and the Bathroom was moving in and out when the slide was moved. The wall was moving at least 6 inched in both directions when the slide was extended or retracted. Took it to our dealer and they discovered that the weld on the stud was broken. they had it welded, but this did not totally fix the issue. They contacted Keystone and was told to order and install rollers under the kitchen slide to maybe help distribute the weight of the slide. Currently waiting for rollers to arrive and then installation. Will update once rollers are installed.
jrmart77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:57 AM   #6
timandpeggy
Established Member

M.O.C. #17685
The dealer I went to installed a doubler on the broken stud. From what I'm seeing, and from my experience as an aircraft mechanic, the material is much too thin for the weight of the fridge, whether it's an absorbition type (in the 352) or residential (in the 353). When the cable slide mechanism pulls against the wall stud to move the wall, it strains the wall, and the weakest point gives. Since the weld is actually stronger than the surrounding material (since the material has been changed by the heating of the welding), the only true fix will be to:
1. Remove the slide and disassemble the wall to gain access to about 12" on either side of the break.
2. Install "L" shaped doublers of approx 1/8" thickness with solid rivets from about 6" outside the break to the extreme end of the stud.
3. Install a slightly shorter section of the same doubler, starting about 3" from the end of the first one.
4. Reassemble the wall and slide.
5. Install additional rollers under the fridge to alleviate the load.
This would be an extensive fix, and I really don't think Keystone would approve it on any rig. From my experience, Keystone expects the dealer to do the best temporary repair, than when it fails again, give them another shot at it. My repairing dealer, as well as I, had recommended to Keystone that the trailer be taken to the Pendelton, Or. Keystone factory (as we're in Utah), but they scoffed. My wall currently hS some movement (nowhere near as much as it did before the temporary repair was made), and when I get a few weeks, I'll take it back and have the slide removed.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
tony d
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17769
This is exactly the issue I have with mine, it's also a 2016 built mid 2015. I've been waiting for it to stop raining for a while as it's parked in a muddy area on my property, before i pull the wall apart. I wonder if we could force a recall if enough people were having this issue, even if they are mostly out of warranty.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I wish you luck with that. It's hard enough to get Keystone Montana to fix what's in warranty let alone what's out.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #9
timandpeggy
Established Member

M.O.C. #17685
Yeah, just getting Keystone to acknowledge a problem would be HUGE!
Old 01-17-2017, 01:56 AM   #10
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
I have an issue with my kitchen slide, not the same as all of you, when it moves in and out, it is digging into the floor. Still under warrantee, and I agree getting Keystone to even diagnose the issue was like pulling teeth, it was denied twice. Still in the shop waiting. Anyways, this appears to be a weight issue, as that slide is pretty hefty. I was told by my Dealer that Lippert has made some beefed up rails, for issues like this, with the heavy kitchen slides. While it sounds like that is not the ultimate fix to your issues, it might aid in the solution. just an FYI.
Just a foot note, after the experience I have had with keystone with this, and a few other warrantee issues, I will not be getting another Montana, I will be going back to Grand Designs. Customer service was miles ahead of what I am experiencing now, and the build quality was superior, they just didn't have this floor plan at the time...
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #11
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
I have the Monty being looked at for a furnace issue and they are checking the wall. Looks like I need the studs rewelded and reinforced. I am going to contact Keystone and see what they say. I will keep you informed

Steve
Old 05-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #12
tony d
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17769
I finally got my trailer to the dealer to have the wall looked at, as Keystone agreed to cover one hour of labor to have it inspected. I just got a call from the dealer and they said it was fixed and Keystone paid for all of it even though it was a year past the warranty. The dealer is even going to wash the trailer for me before i pick it up, i park it on my dirt road so it was a little dirty(maybe a lot dirty) when i dropped it off a couple weeks ago. I'm glad to see Keystone stood up and did the right thing in this situation. Also i think the dealer my local dealer who i purchased the trailer from might have had some pull to get it taken care of.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:17 PM   #13
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Lets hope it was honestly repaired and not band-aided. I know several dealers that cannot "fix" a bowl of cereal.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #14
tony d
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17769
I picked up the trailer today looks like they did a good repair. I posed Diesel guys response to the service writer whether it was a good fix or a band aid. He told me two days after I dropped mine off another one showed up for same repair and keystone would not let them do the repair and had them take the trailer back to the dealer who didn't do the repair right the first time, so looks like not all dealers are capable of doing quality repairs.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #15
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
According to your last sentence ... you're learning all about RV dealerships first hand. That's why many of us fix our own unless we just don't have the expertise ... under warranty or not.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #16
tony d
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17769
Yes I learned my lesson on my last trailer, now I repair everything myself. I only took it to the dealer this time because keystone was going to pay for an hour of inspection and if they wouldn't have covered it under warranty I was prepared to tackle it Myself. I have been very fortunate that the only thing I've had to repair is a few trim pieces that came loose, until this. I do keep an eye on this forum for other issues people have and that's when I realized that this was a wide spread issue and should be a recall in my opinion.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #17
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
Well finally an update. The Al. stud inside the wall next to the slide had broken the weld, which caused the wall to shift in or out when we moved the slide. This is where the cable pulleys attach and the weld was not strong enough. I think the 2015 HC units with a residential frig have this problem as I have read about others with a similar problem. Per Keystone, we had to take the unit to an authorized dealer so we went to Camping World in Madison Wis. I know the opinion of CW but they seemed competent so we went with them. The other authorized dealer in Rockford could not look at the unit for a month and had no idea when they would be able to work on it. So up to CW it went. Within a week they had identified the cause of the wall moving, which was the broken stud (although I pretty much told them what was happening). They filed a claim with Keystone and but were not getting an answer so they suggested I call, which I did. Customer service at Keystone had all the info, pictures and reports they needed but I do not think they were going to approve a warrantee claim. When I called I spoke to a Keystone CS person and low and behold she said we do have all the info, let me talk to an adjuster. Guess what - even though we are out of warrantee, they said there were going to cover this - "as a way of showing good customer support". "SURE!!" But it was going to be covered.

Large slide on drivers side had to be removed and a welder contracted to repair and reinforce weld, but it was done and looks OK. Took a little longer than I hoped, but we have the unit back and it seems to be correct. Have only run the slide in and out a couple times, but no movement around the wall and look OK. I get to replace a couple pieces of trim (CW is supplying) but so far so good. Our CS rep at CW ( Justin K.) did a great job.

I am convinced this problem was / is a 2015/6 issue with High County units when the camper has the residential frig. This frig is much heavier than the Dometic 8 or 12 cubic foot, 12 vdc / gas units and this is where the wall problem is (on the end by the frig). Still a Keystone issue and the reinforced weld is all that was needed. I think they realized it after they saw several issues like ours.

I think this should have been a recall type situation, but not enough complaints. In this case - the squeaky wheel got the grease. I still have an inverter issue but this is something unrelated. And it is under warrantee also - just need to return and get the new one which I will install. So all in all, we are pleased with the outcome, Camping World did OK by us and we are ready to enjoy the summer!

Happy Camping - Steve and Lisa
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Old 06-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #18
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Thanks for sharing your positive experience.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #19
davespickard

M.O.C. #20125
Residential Refrigerator Slide Issue - 2016 Montana 353RL

I just got off the phone with the Keystone Customer Rep. July 5, 2017 1:15p.m. CDT.

I have the same refrigerator slide issue with my 2016 Montana High Country 353RL and Montana will only authorize the use of Slide Slickers to help with the issue, not repair the manufacturing defect that obviously exists.

I purchased my Montana on March 31, 2016 and took it in to have the slide adjusted (I thought) on June 14, 2017...2.5 months out of warranty and this is how Keystone treats us. The issue has been there for about 6 months but I thought it was just an issue with the slide being out of adjustment.

Camping World told me that the issue really needs to be repaired right and that the fix authorized by Keystone is only a band aid. I too am now rethinking my decision to purchase the Montana (my second Keystone camper).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
davespickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #20
timandpeggy
Established Member

M.O.C. #17685
I have a suggestion for all of us 352/ 353 owners that have experienced this issue.

We're going to the fall rally in Goeshen and will be talking with the factory rep about this. I will not accept using "Slide slippers" or any other temporary I'd. Since I have an open claim on this, even though my warranty is past, it was/ is an engineering/ manufacturing issue, there is nothing that we as users can do do not have this happen.

If there are more than myself at the rally to raise the issue, that "might" just push them to at least issue a service bulletin, and be repaired at no, or reduced cost. Negotions are always a goo thing, and if the approach is to help the OE out (yeah, I know, but sometimes we have to "suck it up"), than maybe, just maybe.....