Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2004, 04:55 AM   #41
Montana_2505
Established Member

M.O.C. #2505
Well, our problems seem to be starting over...
Since getting our RV out of the shop where they simply caulked the bedroom slideout (in a very UN-beautifying way) to stop the leaking,
we finally had our first light rain and a little snow night before last. The next morning, the floor is wet again in the bedroom. I've always heard that caulk might PREVENT a leak, but it won't STOP one. Seems to be true for sure in this case. Of course it's Thanksgiving weekend, and our dealer takes 4 days off. Not even an answering machine. Hubby has checked out all the seals and rubber around the slideout and everything seems to be as it should be. The slideout awning seems to be fine, too. So, where can this leak be coming from??
Then, during the night last night, the precious furnace remote control went WACKO again and changed it's own settings. It decided to run most of the night and this morning, it decided it was too warm in here (which it was), so it turned on the AC. We realized there IS a setting that will do that, but WE didn't change anything. The remote control/ thermostat hadn't even been TOUCHED for over a week. (We have a shelf at the end of the kitchen cabinet and have mounted the remote control under that shelf so it is ALWAYS pointing at the wall unit and is not on the countertop).

We do not have a problem fixing things on our own. But some things.....wellllllll.....

OHHHHHH BROTHERRRRRRRRR!!!!

Montana_2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:56 AM   #42
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Luci and Ricky ... I've been following this thread for awhile and wow, you've certainly had more than your fair share of problems.

However, from this last post I'd say your dealer is just putting bandaids on your problems and it's time to call (NOT email) Keystone and calmly but firmly tell them the problems you've had with your unit, tell them your dealer stinks and ask them what they can do for you. What have you got to lose?

Good luck ... I truly hope it gets better for you.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 07:30 AM   #43
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mobilrvn, whatever you're looking for the supplier for, have you found it's exact name or other info on a sticker on the thing and tried doing a web search to see if something comes up that will tell you the supplier?

Luci and Ricky, several others have had the leak problem with the bedroom slides on the newer rigs. Some found there's a channel that brings water down the side of the slide and is supposed to channel it outside. But on some that has been too short and it's channeled the water inside instead. I don't know details, haven't had the problem. You might do a search on the forum so you can see the details and see if that might be the problem. You could then print off that thread and show the problem to your dealer. You shouldn't have to do this but when a dealer can't seem to fix it...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 03:51 AM   #44
Montana_860
Established Member

M.O.C. #860
I have been away for awhile but now I am back. I just finished reading this thread and decided to reply before I update my last post concerning my own Keystone issues.

I know that there is quite a mix of product and product owners out there, but it seems to me that the common thread is quality control. We as consumers shouldn't have to deal with sloppy substandard products or work. With so many similar complaints, I would think Keystone would wake up and smell the roses before all these owners kill the product line completely. If I got this much bad press I would certainly be working double time to be sure my customers were happy and I would change my manufacturing process to eliminate the problems. So far my impression is that Keystone will fix the problems but only after being "worn down."

Steve - Didn't you get your unit replaced because of slide leaks? how many times does Keystone have to do this before they get the message?

Some of the problems originally posted to this thread (Thermostat and DVD player) are substandard cheap components installed by the manufacturer that are designed to look appealing to the buyer.

Generally these items are such that people don't base their buying decisions on them. Usually after settling into the purchase the new owner becomes frustrated with all of the other quality problems and realizes that the DVD players and such are representative of the level of quality they find throughout the coach.

I for one am not happy with my Keystone product and won't recommend them to anyone.
Montana_860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 03:52 AM   #45
Montana_2574

M.O.C. #2574
Leakinn slides:
We have a 3295 Montana and love it. However, it has been in the shop alot. The last time was for leaking slide in living room under fireplace, amounting to a wet spot and stain that just keeps creeping across the carpet. Also the slide in the bedroom. Not real wet, but growing mushrooms, DISGUSTING! We took it back to our dealer and he kept it 3 months, saying he was waiting on Keystone to authorize him to do repairs. Finally he called and he said they sent him a check to fix it and replace the carpet. He decided at that time, the gasket needed to be replaced on the slide in the kitchen slide and he could not find a problem in the bedroom. He shampooed the carpet, but did not replace it. Said if we have anymore problems to call him and he has the money in an account under our name to fix it. We called 3 months later with the SAME problems and he said he was busy with his RV shows and would contact us after the shows were over. He never did. Finally I emailed the Manufacturer and we have an appointment to take it in the shop Jan. 4. Now our fiberglass in bubbling and I am worried about termites, I have seen flyining ants all around that area and it is in the same area as the leaking kitchen slide. I have also contacted my attorney and the BBB about the dealer, and the state attorney general will be next. I hope they can fix the unit as we really like it, either that or buy it back and let us trade for a new unit. This is a 2002 unit we bought new off the showroom floor. This time I will insist they replace the carpet it we keep the unit and I will order the awnings above the slides. And I will not wait 3 months for repairs. We paid cash in good faith of a nice unit. We use our unit quite a bit, every weekend to be exact, year round. We have never towed it, it is parked in a campground year round, but hope to tow it to Florida this Feb. We have the same problem also of the breaker tripping if we use the fireplace and microwave. I do like the size and layout of our unit, but am really discusted with the problems.
Montana_2574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 04:41 AM   #46
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We had a problem with our slide dragging the carpet going out and pushing the carpet when going in. Our dealer wouldn't touch it. Said we had to live with it. While at the rally, the Dealer Parts and Service Manager (Garett Carolus) told us to bring the unit to the factory on our way to Texas this fall and he would have it fixed at the factory. We did that and they had Fox RV Inc. do the repairs as they were booked up at the factory. Larry Fox was excellent and also fixed a few other things for us while we were there. All repairs were under warranty. I would suggest you contact Garett at carlousg@keystonerv.com and see what he has to say. You could also ask him to read your thread and offer his advice. He sure went out of his way to help us.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 07:41 AM   #47
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill (ksiceman), no, we didn't have Keystone replace a unit for any reason. That was someone else. We did develop a leak under our kitchen slide that gets the carpet wet when towing in rain. It developed when the rig was about 2 years old. When we were back in this area last July our dealer did something with seals that stopped the leak (or at least we no longer saw daylight in that lower corner) for about two days until whatever he did fell off. I should have looked at his fix so I could compare but didn't. We are now back in the area and have arranged for him to fix this again, at his expense, on the day we pull out of here in early January.

I wouldn't mind Keystone making me a super deal on a new Cambridge when they come out but it would have to be one awesome deal before we could do that.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:01 PM   #48
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Steve, another MOC member got us the info we wanted, but thanks for the help. Keep forgetting how much info is out there if you know how to look--still getting my computer legs.

Luci & Ricky, Steve has given you a good direction to go in researching other leaky slideout problems in the forum. I helped a guy with an Everest who had a leaking slideout and it seems that someone at the factory either uses too short a piece of interior seal or someone cuts it off to make it look tidy. At the bottom of the exterior seals there appears to be a piece of plastic seal sticking out a little way. This interior seal take the water down and then out under the exterior seal at the bottom---if it is cut short, the water just runs inside or, at least, that is what it seemed to us. Sounds like your dealer doesn't have a clue how to really fix it. A friend who is an engineer always calls the engineering department to find out what it takes to fix what is broken. They usually know and are current on what is going on.

Campground, think it is time to run up the BS flag on your dealer. NO one puts money in "your" account to fix future problems. It is wise that you have an attorney.

ksiceman, you are absolutely right regarding quality control. I wonder if anyone from Keystone reads the various forums---sure seems like an easy way to get a lot of good data to help resolve problems. The cheapest products aren't always cost effective. E.g., the sound system is junk. We had ours replaced and still had noise coming from one speak--so just disconnected it. My ears are bad, but someone else might enjoy some good sounds. This is one of the most common complains I've seen in the various forums and many have been replaced. This has had to cost Keystone a lot more than buying a good setup and installing it correctly in the first place. It is also time for Keystone to start putting some glue with their staples. Have to rebuild our rear overhead cabinet which is coming apart since we're in Mexico and there is no dealer handy.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 02:26 PM   #49
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
So sorry your leak is still there, our dealer did the same thing with the caulk, however, they slid the slide in before the caulk was dry, nice streak of caulk on the bedroom carpet,they have agreed to replace this while our unit is getting the other slides carpet replaced and the bubbles fixed in the fiberglass,which is another story.Had friday off and went to the dealer to see when the unit would be returned from the factory and to be noisy and look at the new units and units at the other brothers dealership down the road, these boys do not get along as the other one sells H/R ,Ceder creek and Crossroads.The service manager kinda ran and hid when he saw us,one service writer came out to us and told us the unit would be gone for more than they expected,the bubbles in the sidewalls were caused by a leak in the black tank flush line in the walls,they are going to have to replace the inside walls, the luan,insulation and the fiberglass panels,remove both slides and compartment doors and re-do everything.We never noticed any water or wetness when we flushed the black tank.We were quite taken back by this info and wondered why the dealer or factory rep. never called to tell us of this new found problem or were they going to try and hide this from us until we questioned how long the repairs were taking.Now we are scared of something else to go wrong, they also have to replace the axles while it is there and some tires,we insisted they replace with dexter axles and have agreed to do so.We also are very upset with the quality of this unit and are thinking of trading it if keystone does not offer a free extended warranty for quite a period of time.Many of you here now we have had over 60 warranty items with this unit,mostly major ones and we have lost all confidence with this unit.This unit has less than 2000 miles on it and is used only for weekends and vacations,thus the long stay is not a major problem as we are finished for the year.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:06 PM   #50
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I also posted this reply from Keystone in the General section for the thermostat problem:

Dear Mr. Ames,

We have just reviewed your email sent Monday, November 29, 2004. We regret to hear about the issue you have had. If you remove all power from the unit it might reset it. Take the batteries out of the remote, unhook your battery in your Montana, unhook it from 110 volt power, and make sure to shut the breaker/fuse off and than return power to the unit and see if that works. You are the eyes and ears in the field so to speak. Your comments, both positive and negative are welcome as they will help Keystone build more practical, reliable, and user friendly products.

I wrote on Saturday and had a response on Monday. Also, with Fantastic Vent, they are more than willing to help any way they can. If you call or e-mail them you will get immediate help. I was buttoning up for the winter and found the fantastic vent dome had broken at the elevation arm. They air shipped one on Wednesday so I had it for Friday to install on the weekend. We have also got a new DVD player because of the buzz. My guess is that Montana will eventually upgrade, but keep having them replace it until its right.

Our dealer has been fantastic at helping with the few problems we've had. Best of luck, Luci and Rick. Don't give up, it really is a nice unit and after you get these items resolved you will look back at these as annoyances.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:19 PM   #51
Montana_860
Established Member

M.O.C. #860
Steve,
Sorry, didn't mean to put a new trailer in your pocket. Someone on here or on RV.net ended up with a replacement after many many many problems.

After a lengthly conversation with some people in the business and reading other peoples experiences, my wife has informed me that she doesn't want to end up with a money pit trailer that can't be kept in one piece. We are both disappointed in our purchase and fear what will happen when the warranty expires.

Montana_860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:40 PM   #52
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Had the same problem with my QUEST surround sound system. I fought the dealer, and they fought with me, for Keystone to just give me a credit to bo and buy what I want, would have it though. The did replace it, and it still sucks. I talked to a few other MOC members, and they ended up just replacing it. You can get a nice Panasonic system for about $200, thats what I am going to do first when i get my unit out of storage for next season.
As far as the other stuff, problems at all.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:58 PM   #53
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
No problem, Bill. Just wanted to set the record straight on that one. There is a member who got a good deal on a trade after many problems so you are correct on that one. I don't think it was a straight trade, though.

I hope you get the problems resolved with yours. The Montanas are really good for the price but there can be a problem child now and then. That happens with anything mechanical as you know. I don't blame you not wanting to get stuck. Hopefully they'll get it right for you. Keep after them while still in warranty. And good luck.

I lived in Wichita as a kid, by the way, on Zimmerly, next to the river. Harry St. School. Would have gone to West for h.s. had we not moved out of town in fifth grade.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:45 AM   #54
Montana_2608
Established Member

M.O.C. #2608
WOW....I joined this forum as I am (was?) getting ready to buy a Montana 3400. I've owned two other RV's....a Coachman (tagalong) and a 1998 Jayco 5th wheel. I traveled and lived in the Jayco for quite a while with no problems. Even stayed in Butte Montana for a winter (December - June...talk about COLD!!!) with no problems at all. The furnace would even cycle on - off @ -18 deg. (that's no typo, 18 deg below zero!!)even if it was only 20 minutes off and 1 hour on...haha. I've still got it and everything still works. I think I'd better re-think this situation as I am planning on living full time in mine when I retire and will be living in a motel if the RV has to go into the shop!!
Montana_2608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:14 AM   #55
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Take a longer look. We're open about problems here. A lot of sites don't delve into the issues the way we do here. You'll see I own the rig you are/were looking at. Only a few small, fixable problems. Very happy with quality overall but, just like in a stick house, we realize that things could always be better once we've moved in. I'm not a salesman for Montana, just a regular guy. But I think the integrity and reputation of your dealer will be a bigger factor all around than what brand you end up purchasing. Good luck.

"WOW....I joined this forum as I am (was?) getting ready to buy a Montana 3400. I've owned two other RV's....a Coachman (tagalong) and a 1998 Jayco 5th wheel. I traveled and lived in the Jayco for quite a while with no problems. Even stayed in Butte Montana for a winter (December - June...talk about COLD!!!) with no problems at all. The furnace would even cycle on - off @ -18 deg. (that's no typo, 18 deg below zero!!)even if it was only 20 minutes off and 1 hour on...haha. I've still got it and everything still works. I think I'd better re-think this situation as I am planning on living full time in mine when I retire and will be living in a motel if the RV has to go into the shop!!"
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:35 AM   #56
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Randall

Welcome to the MOC and I hope you stay with us. Remember that Montana makes the trailer above the frame. Individual components are the same for other trailers. LCI(Lippert) makes the frame for Montana and a lot of other trailers.

What I suggest is you develope a comprehensive checklist for buying before putting hard earned cash down. The forum can help you construct a checklist of known problems by searching the archives in the Montana problem section. Remember other trailers will have the same problems. Reference includes Good Sam forums, Trailer Life, Highways magizine, and internet search. Yes, including bent axles and leaking slides.

I am going to try to make a list of known problems to use when I upgrade. Before I accept delivery I will make sure these problems are thoroughly checked.

I bought used and in the blind. Didn't know what I was doing. Now I know more because of the MOC and other RV forums.

So stay with us. Glad your here.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:35 AM   #57
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Randall53, I think captbanjo said it very well. We always talk about our problems but we rarely talk about the non-problems. And that fits the purpose of this forum very well. With the volume of sales of Montanas you know there will be some bad ones. That's unfortunate but is a fact of life whether you are buying an RV, a car, or a truck, or anything else manmade. Montana is the number one seller in North America the past three years and likely this year, too. There's a reason for that. Your Jayco is an excellent unit, too. I hope you don't allow the discussions on this forum to scare you away from Montana. Rather, I hope you see it as a place you can get some support if you do experience problems. Support and lots of ideas. Good luck, whatever your decision.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:34 PM   #58
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Just a note, I moved up from a Cougar to a Montana this year ( Cougar is one of Keystone's lower end models).

Anyway, I went to the bigges RV sown in my area, not even to buy for that matter, just to look ( Then my wife say our 3650 RK and just had to have it LOL).

Once we decided we want to upgrade, we looed at EVERY manufacturer under the sun (Jayco, Fleetwood, Coachman, ETC). The only one, ONLY ONE that we second guessed up against the Montat was the Titanium. Boy, that was a nice unit, but, as you can see from my profile and posts, we got the Montana, we are very happy with it, and we do get a lot of attention from fellow RV'ers, who want to see it, and have questions. We were in Myrtle beach in April, and a wife with her kids walked buy and spoke with us, later on, she came back to show here husbad, and the other family they were traveling with. Now, if that doesn't say something, I don't know what does
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:25 PM   #59
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Randall,
Don't be discouraged by one person who has had problems as there are many,many people who are very happy with their units and have had no, or few, problems. We have the 3400 and LOVE IT. So far our only problem is the flashlight doesn't work. Other things that some many complain about, we consider just part of this wonderful life. Do you have problems when you have a stick house? YES. This is our 3rd 5er and all have a few little problems. You may have noticed that there are some folks who have had a few problems and they still love their units. It takes a little bit of adventuresssome to RV but that is what is so wonderful about this life. A little excitement keeps you young!
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:20 AM   #60
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
I have had my share problems, the sound system, leaks, molding falling off and the fantastic fan sticking. I repaired the molding, keyston replaced the sound system, fantastic fan sent 303 to lub the seal and the dealer has tryed to fix the leak. I will be taking my unit back to the dealer for the leak this spring, BUT I'm very happy with my MONTANA. Those little things my bother some I just fix them.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote