Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2014, 05:49 AM   #1
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Notice to ALL South Dakota Residents

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-south-dakota/

You can't be ticketed for running a red light out of state.

mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
It's not a red light issue they are talking about here but SPEEDING by the South Dakota and other State's vehicles(Nebraska included) on I-29 as they enter Iowa at Sioux City. I don't think your statement "You can't be ticketed for running a red light out of state." will hold up in courts anywhere especially if you are stopped by an officer. I would venture to say you will now see more Iowa Highway Patrol and Sioux City Police vehicles sitting on I-29 instead of the use of cameras to catch speeding vehicles. Some States allow the use of speed monitoring cameras while others do not. If I am not mistaken, there are signs posted telling the vehicles heading southbound out of South Dakota on I-29 that the speed limit reduces to 55 while going through Sioux City. It is just that the drivers do not notice them nor care and are so used to going the 65mph on the South Dakota stretch of I-29 they just keep their foot on the pedal. If you go through Omaha on I-80, it is the same such situation except it is coming from Iowa to Nebraska and the speed limit drops to 60 while going through Omaha. Nebraska and Omaha do not use the speed recording cameras and you will see quite a few Omaha, Douglas County Sheriff's and Nebraska State Patrol vehicles patrolling this stretch of I-80.The speed limit does not increase again until you are about 6-8 miles past Omaha and it goes through another county in that mileage also so you see another County Sheriff's patrol cars pulling individuals over also. Actually, if you go through most any city on any Interstate, the speed limits are reduced until you get out of the city limits and then they go back up to normal Interstate speeds.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:41 AM   #3
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
I think this is all based on whether it is a "camera based" ticket or not, speeding or red light violation. I like the idea that my new state isn't going to assist entities with recovering camera captured incidents, which I think are often disputable. While I have never been ticketed for such, I think it would be difficult to argue your point from a long distance.