Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #181
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
We just got our Montana back. When the Mission tire blew, in the very short time it took for me to pull off the road, the tread separated from the tire and wrapped and flapped around the axel, in the process it ripped off a good chunk of the moisture barrier and insulation also tore off the entire pipe, handles and valve for the galley tank. I took it to Suncoast RV in Cocoa where Jeff the body man fixed it like new. I also put new Michelin's on including the spare. I told them to dump those Missions in the trash bin. Cost $$$$$$ a lot!

Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:43 AM   #182
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Should we be keeping our old Missions? I just had one taken off - wouldn't hold air - the tire dealer told me the inside of the tire was shot, so I replaced with another brand for my spare. Can't remember the name of the brand now - on drugs in the Hospital currently - but I know it is not a Carlisle...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:51 AM   #183
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Our 2008 has Goodyear tires on it....which ones have the Mission tires on them?
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:58 AM   #184
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cmawendy

Our 2008 has Goodyear tires on it....which ones have the Mission tires on them?
2007 and before...
Old 05-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #185
trailbuff
Established Member

M.O.C. #7548
My 2008 3400RL came with Missions on it. I think Mission is Chinese for JUNK. I had 3 tires fail within 1 week.
I just replaced all the Mission tires with 235 84r 16 GoodYear G614's.
I have been waiting to hear back from Tireco to see if they will reimburse me for the failed tires. I'm not holding my breath.
trailbuff
trailbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #186
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
John, just curious... what was the build date of your 2008?
Old 05-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #187
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

John, just curious... what was the build date of your 2008?

Sorry to butt in, my build date on my 2008 3400RL was early November 2007, and it came with mission tires. To date I have nearly 5K on them . I run them with 80 psi and just under 65 MPH. I will not test fate will replace after this year.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #188
trailbuff
Established Member

M.O.C. #7548
DSPRIK
I'm not sure about the build date. We ordered the 3400RL in about April of 2007. We picked it up in July of 07 if my memory serves me. It is titled as a 2008. I wish I would have waited a few more months. Since we got ours, they have made quite a few changes (basement, tires, etc).
Other then the tires, we have been really enjoying the 5er.
If you need the exact build date, let me know and i'll dig out the paper work.
John
trailbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #189
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, John. I was just curious as to when the stopped putting on the Missions. Sounds like it was about half way through the 2008 model year. My 3400 was built right at the beginning of the 2007 model year (July 17, 2006). I, of course, have the Missions.

Glad you are enjoying your 3400. We really love ours.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:31 AM   #190
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
PSFORD99, missed your post - sorry about that. So they were still putting Missions on Keystone products through Nov 2007 (which is midway through the 2008 model year). Wonder what the exact month was when they changed to another (Marathons?).
Old 05-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #191
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:

PSFORD99, missed your post - sorry about that. So they were still putting Missions on Keystone products through Nov 2007 (which is midway through the 2008 model year). Wonder what the exact month was when they changed to another (Marathons?).

I could not have been too long after they built mine that they changed brands of tires from everything I have read. Are the Marathons doing any better than the Missions ?? I have had no problems so far ,but what I have read I am on borrowed time. There just does not seem to be an answer for a decent tire in E rating. The Michelin Ribs seem to be popular but again the weight rating does not match up well with a loaded 3400RL. I will probably go to a G rated tire and new rims . Sounds like our rims are also having there problems with cracking.

Two of the most important things tires and wheels along with the brake system, and they can't seem to get it right.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #192
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
Quote:

Should we be keeping our old Missions? I just had one taken off - wouldn't hold air - the tire dealer told me the inside of the tire was shot, so I replaced with another brand for my spare. Can't remember the name of the brand now - on drugs in the Hospital currently - but I know it is not a Carlisle...
Contact Albert Tan @ albertt@tireco.com. He is warranty administrator. I replaced all of my mission tires after finding cracks in one of them. He had UPS pickup the one tire. I faxed a copy ot he bill for the Goodyears I bought. No check yet but Tireco is suppose to pay me for one tire.
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #193
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Winter Texan, but I have discarded the tire and replaced it. I am using it for a spare, Still have 4 Missions on the ground. If (or I should say "when") another one goes, I will follow your advice. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #194
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
Haven't posted in a while, camping season for us just started this weekend. Getting things ready for our first trip out last week, I discovered one of the mission tires with only 20lbs of pressure. These tires had aprox 2800 miles on them. I put air in it, and it still lost about 5lbs a day until I left on Thursday. It was only a short 70 mile trip, so I kept an eye on it and all was well. When I returned home yesterday I checked and it had lost about 10 pounds so I figured it was a bad one and would have to be replaced. But, as we were unloading I noticed one of the tires on the other side of the RV was almost flat. You could actually hear the air escaping. I felt around the inside of the tire and there was a bulge the size of an egg. My wife called the dealer today and they said to take a picture and e-mail it to them and they would see what they could do, but anything after a year would be pretty hard to get an adjustment. So-I logged on to this thread and got the number of tireco. (Wife also talked to someone at Keystone) I called an talked with Dawn. She told me to get the DOT numbers and call her back. While getting the numbers I discovered another one of the tires had lost some pressure. I called her back with the DOT numbers and she immediatley offered to replace three tires. She said the named had changed to High Life, and they were in stock. She also said she would have UPS pick up the replaced tires. I guess I dodged a bullet by the one not blowing and causing more damage. I'll have to wait and see if the new ones show, but my intial contact with tireco was a positive one.
TLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #195
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
So you will have one Mission and 3 of these High Life (there's a Google) on the pavement on your Mountaineer?
Old 05-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #196
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
TLG,

Call TireCo back and tell them that they know and you know and most if not all Montana owners know these tires Mission tires are bad. Tell them it would be in their best interest to replace all 5 and you won't accept anything else. I had two Missions go bad and they replaced all 5 with FreeStars, but I had to be more than a little forceful. Do not back off. They know they have a huge financial exposure and liability. Just be very firm and as an absolute last resort mention reporting the situation to the appropriate federal agency. I don't know why they haven't been shut down but until us Montana owners get organized nothing probably will happen. The intial post suggested a forced recall, but 20 pages later I don't see any progress in this needed effort. We need to quit talking and get serious about this effort before someone gets injured or even worse killed. Also consider our own liability if pieces of one of our shredded tires creates an accident along side of us or behind us. Our insurance won't cover all the expense. This is a very serious problem and severe financial exposure for all of us.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #197
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
Update. Came home this evening and there are three "High Life" tires sitting in the driveway. Can't find anything on the internet about this brand. And the plot thickens.
TLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #198
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It has been said many times before.. The OEM valve stem will leak air and they should be replaced with quality metal stems. We still have the OEM stem on out mision spare and it will lose 20lbs of air in a couple of weeks and it is not on the ground,
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #199
cehcplh1

M.O.C. #9339
Well, here is my story. Been to Alaska and back. I have a 2007 3400RL. I have blowed all 4 Mission Tires over a 1 year period. They sent Milestar tires to replace them, (still made in China). I have blown 2 of them. The last time I received damage to my unit. That is it!!! I purchases a set of AMERICAN made tires. If you value your family, get rid of those cheap China tires!!! Also, don't buy Keystone products again. I learned my lesson.
cehcplh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #200
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In your search for a non Keystone different brand camper please let us know which brands DO NOT have OEM Chinese tires.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote