Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2009, 05:36 AM   #1
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
hooking up cable box and satellite dish

We have a 2009 3665RE.How would you connect a stand alone satellite dish and cable to the RV? Thru the normal sat jack? Where inside would the cable box hook into the system in the RV? The Bedroom or in living room.Can both TV's be run off one cable box? Can the bat wing attennae be use while the cable box is connected? I'd really hate to drill a whole thru the side to wire for the box.

et2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Your simple question has many answers.

The above photo should represent your current wiring. The jumper labeled DVD or Satellite box is where you cable box and satellite can be mounted.
With the current configuration you get to watch only one input when on the cable box or satellite (both TVs get the same channel). When you are using just the Bat Wing antenna you use the Tuners on the TV so each one can tune to their own channel.
If this is still confusing ask your questions and we will try and help.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
What I'm curious about is, will the current mounted cable jack outside that is delivered and wired with the trailer (park cable connection) be the connection. Example ... satellite dish to the standard cable jack then connect the cable box inside as shown. Or do I need to drill a separate hole and route a wire to the box from the satellite dish. I heard some people say they had to drill holes and wire there satellite dish direct to the box.

Do I need to drill through the wall and install a jack and wiring at the DVD satellite box?

Hopefully I'm saying it right?
Old 02-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm curious. Are you using DishNetwork, or DirectTV?

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I'm curious. Are you using DishNetwork, or DirectTV?

I haven't pick a provider yet. But I have heard Direct TV is the way to go.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
Wayne:

We are using Dish Network in our 2955 -

I bought a Dish Network Model 322 Receiver from Radio Shack (ordered on line) and ordered an Antenna Kit from an online dealer.

When we were still home, I set up the Antenna and Receiver and then called Dish Network and set up an account -- all they needed was the serial number from the box -- I set up very basic service with my Boston Local Channels.

When we got to Florida, I followed the advice of others and gave them our "winter address", saying nothing about being in an RV and increased our service package - we are now receiving DISH 100 and the Orlando Local channels.

Once I get home in April - I will call and have our service package "downgraded" and switched back to the Boston Channels.

Right now, I am feeding the satellite signal to both TV's --

I need help figuring out the wiring from the entertainment center to the Bedroom.

The Dish Network 322 Receiver comes with 2 Controllers and allows you to feed and control 2 TV's with one receiver
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Okay!
The 322 has two satellite inputs. You need a DPD2 and a Dish Pro Plus Separator (Edit: Frequency 800-2150Mhz)

Here is how it is wired at my stick house. My LNB has 3 horns with two lines coming into he house supplying two satellite receivers. One 722 and one 322. Both are configured the same.

One satellite antenna line into the DPD2. One output of the DPD2 into the Separator. Both outputs of the Separator into Sat 1 and Sat 2 inputs on the receiver. The Distribution out from the receiver feeds to the empty DPD2 satelite input/output. This line feed the second receiver.

Here is what I plan on doing in my RV. I have th Dish Pro 1000 antenna with 3 LNB's. I use the number one feed from the antenna into the DPD2 then into the separator. The separator then feeds the two satelitte inputs. Looking at the back of the Wingard I am going to put another separator, splitter, or whatever it takes to feed the normal antenna in, and then feed the second bedroom tv to one line of the sep/splt, or whatever, and one line from the distribution out to the other input. The output will feed the 2nd br tv. You will need two remotes to independently tune channels. I use HDMI input for the front tv and Channel 60 for the back bedroom. The 322 is programmable to different channel output.

A lot of this has been covered in the "Let Us Entertain You," thread.

Edited: From what I understand, DirecTV will require 2 Receivers. Or you could split the signal out and look at one channel on both tv's.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
pizzaguy

M.O.C. #8794
When we picked up our new 09 mountaineer 324RLQ last year I had the dealer add a second cable jack from the outside right next to the existing one just for this reason.I run the cable from park to one jack and the satellite to the other.I then run the cable to a splitter with one going to the living room tv and the other going to a "A"/"B" switch.For the satellite I use the RCA type cables out of the receiver to the input of the living room TV.To switch between the sat. or cable I select different inputs on the TV.NOW,the "A"/"B" switch has one side selected for cable coming in,and use your coax connection out of the sat. receiver to hook up the other side and then hook that up to the bedroom TV.When you want to watch bedroom Tv you will have to select either "A" for cable or "B" for satellite.This isn't a perfect fix for all problems but it allows you to watch different programs in bedroom and living room if needed.
pizzaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I just bought some Holland Diplexers DPD2 on ebay. I plan on using 2 of them back to back, one on the outside where the cable connector is and one on the inside. With any luck I'll be able to connect the dish and the cable to the outside one, feed it through the connector in the wall to the inside, then connect the dish receiver to one side and the rest of the system to the other. Maybe I won't have to play around with the cables like I had to do with the last trailer.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote