Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
Baqpqck

M.O.C. #5411
3000RK

My wife and I are considering getting a rear kitchen model but we are worried about having the fridge and all the dishes and food so far back that it has caused some problems with things being broken and falling out of the cabinets. Also we worry about the fridge being damaged by the constant bouncing around while traveling.
Any thoughts, Mike

Baqpqck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Hey Mike, we have a '06 3000RK and love it. We recently took our Maiden Voyage, a lot of which was over some pretty rough roads, and had no problem at all with anything moving or breaking in the kitchen area. The only area in the kitchen that poses a problem, is the drawer under the fridg. If it's loaded very heavy, it may roll out and hit the dining room slide. This happened to someone else who posted it here on the forum just before we left, so I wedged a sleeping bag and pillow between it and the slide. One of our other helpful members suggested putting a child proof lock on the drawer, which I am going to do.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Mike,

With the way trailer's are built today, I don't think it would be much of a problem with breaking dishes, etc.
The ride is much smoother then it used to be. We had a 1996 28' wilderness with a rear kitchen, years ago and I don't remember breaking dishes being a problem. I don't know if you can get into the fridge of the 3000RK when the slides are in. If that is important to you, you may want to check that out. They have a nice layout with lots of counter space. I'm sure someone who has one will be along shortly. Good luck, keep us posted.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:07 PM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Yes, you can get into the fridge with the slides in, but you have to climb across the counter.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:57 PM   #5
pard
Established Member

M.O.C. #5464
Mike, We have a 2007 3000RK and love it. Everything rides just fine in the cabinets. We have never had food or dishes fall out of the cabinets. We haven't had any broken dishes either. Like LonnieB said, our drawer below the refrigerator came open once.
Pard
pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:38 AM   #6
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
We have the 2005 3295RK and just love it. So much counter top and storage space. Never had problems with anything falling out of cabinets or breakage, but then we eat off paper plates and I try not to use glass where ever possible. Also, we can get at the refrig., utinsil drawer when slides are in.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:10 AM   #7
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
We also have a new 07 3000RK. Have about a 1000 miles on it with no problems of spillage. Thanks to the good folks on this forum, I had the dealer put a latch on the drawer under the fridge. It is the same latch they use to hold up the shelf for trash can under counter. The dealer was more than happy to do it, at no cost, because of past problems wth that drawer coming out and damaging slideout.
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We have the 2950RK (the 3000RK replaced the 2950). We have not had a problem with anything breaking in the cabinets. We added a shelf in the cupboard, so we do secure the cupboard. There have been no problems with the fridge either.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:18 AM   #9
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Mike, we like our 3000RK very much. Yes, there is a little more bounce in the rear, but if you use common sense when packing your dishes, etc. this isn't a problem.
That lower drawer will come out and hit the slide. What's worse, if you open the slide with the drawer out, the slide will try to take the drawer outside with it and you will have a mess. The drawer isn't visible from the slide switch, so you have to walk back to the counter to see it. However, this is easily remedied by a child-proofing latch.
Several owners have taken out 2 of the dinette chairs and turned the table sideways. This will give you access to the fridge, but you can only open the fridge door halfway with the slide in.
None of these items are big problems, and I guess every model has a few little issues. If you like the floor plan, I'd say go for it.
Good luck with whichever model you choose.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:49 AM   #10
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Mike, We have the 3000RK and no problems with anything breaking except when our common sense left us momentarily. I've been to a few Tupperware parties lately and even though I'm not a SUPER fan of the product, it's great for the Monty. If we would have joined the MOC earlier, we would have known about the drawer under the fridge thing. Order the floorplan you both feel like home in, and visit the MOC often and you'll be okay.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote