Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2019, 05:59 AM   #41
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
My right rear jack doesn't go up or down all the either. We use manual mode not automatic leveling. I always have to eyeball that jack. Thanks for the info on the reset button.

margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #42
Castner's
Established Member

M.O.C. #19693
Open up your Lippert Level Up Control and check the wiring, sounds like the contact mya not be completely if the jack comes back up manually. Does the jack extend fully when you push the auto level button?
Castner's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #43
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Lippert landing gear not perfectly vertical

[QUOTE=mhs4771;Does anyone know if the curb side hydraulic landing gear cylinder is supposed to be at a slight angle ?
We just purchased a 2012 Montana 34.5 with the Lippert auto-level hydraulic system and did not notice the front right hand landing gear is slightly canted outward at the bottom. It seems to run up and down fine, but I worry the frame to which it's mounted may be twisted, or worse, breaking loose at a weld.

Does anyone know what the frame looks like at this area, and if there is some visual access to it so that I can inspect the frame for integrity ? My thought is that if there is no actual break in a weld or frame member, I will shim the cylinder's mounting bracket back to plumb and keep an eye for any frame distortion.
I'm a newbie to the Montana forum, and appreciate any and all suggestions on dealing with this one !
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #44
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
When the hydraulic jacks came out the front were canted outward at the bottom. currently they are not. When the change was made I do not know.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:18 PM   #45
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
AFAIK the 6 point system first appeared on Montana's in 2012. I have one of the early ones and my jacks are vertical. I know of two other 2012s and theirs are also vertical. If the 6 point jacks were retrofitted they often have canted front jacks.

I assume you jacks were factory installed, If one is vertical and the other canted, I would suspect the canted one was bent that way.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #46
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Lippert hydraulic landing gear jack

Carl,
Thanks for your follow up. Ours is a 2012, and unfortunately the seller was the second owner's widow, so I don't know if they are factory installed for sure, but I suspect they are.
My big fear is having a bend in the frame somewhere under the body covering, and my experience with another fifth wheel brand leads me to believe that when frame members twist, a welded frame junction point weld is often compromised in the process.
So, I guess my next steps should be confirming if the system is factory or after-market. Then a thorough inspection of the frame area and the mounting bracket, so see if it's an adjustment, or indeed a bent frame component allowing the "lean out". If I am lucky, it may be a case of adjusting the mounting bracket, worst case it's some frame work to correct it.
Thanks again. If anyone else has some thoughts or knowledge of this 'leaning' landing gear jack, I will be most appreciative.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #47
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
After market installs add a separate hydraulic tank for the jacks. So if there is only one reservoir in the front compartment you have a factory install.

I would suspect a bent mounting bracket (there is another thread about this same topic running right now) which should be repairable.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #48
jstadler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19913
Lippert support

I talked to Josh yesterday about a possible bypassing cylinders. He was very helpful and supportive

Lippert truly understands customer service, you don't have to go through hoops to get help.

Great job Lippert.

John
jstadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:13 PM   #49
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Smile Lippert landing gear not perfectly vertical

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
After market installs add a separate hydraulic tank for the jacks. So if there is only one reservoir in the front compartment you have a factory install.

I would suspect a bent mounting bracket (there is another thread about this same topic running right now) which should be repairable.
Carl,
Yes, only the one reservoir, so it's a factory job. I have read those other posts, and appreciate you pointing me there. I can see this is a very helpful owners' forum.
One idea I like, before calling my insurance agent, is trying a chain block or ComeAlong to twist it back to vertical. Some posters have suggested the landing gear legs are splayed slightly by the factory, but I am sure they would have done both, not just one !
We have had a different RV with a Lippert frame and the welds on that one were pretty bad, so I am hesitant to put extra strain on the Monty's by manipulating the frame rail via the cylinder mounting plate. I guess if it is moved slowly and with a lot of careful observation, it might be okay.

Anyway, thanks again for your helpful information.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #50
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Carl,
Yes, only the one reservoir, so it's a factory job. I have read those other posts, and appreciate you pointing me there. I can see this is a very helpful owners' forum.
One idea I like, before calling my insurance agent, is trying a chain block or ComeAlong to twist it back to vertical. Some posters have suggested the landing gear legs are splayed slightly by the factory, but I am sure they would have done both, not just one !
We have had a different RV with a Lippert frame and the welds on that one were pretty bad, so I am hesitant to put extra strain on the Monty's by manipulating the frame rail via the cylinder mounting plate. I guess if it is moved slowly and with a lot of careful observation, it might be okay.

Anyway, thanks again for your helpful information.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #51
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Now that the rain has stopped here in the desert (who would believe March in Phoenix is 52 degrees and rain) I took a good look at my front jacks. I have to admit they are not totally vertical. There is a tiny amount of splay. But you have to really stare at them to see it. The four rear jacks are totally vertical.

The 64K question at this moment is which one of the jacks is bent?

Old 03-12-2019, 04:38 PM   #52
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Lippert landing gear not perfectly vertical

Carl,
The one landing gear leg/jack I noticed to be splayed is the curb side, but perhaps I should do a more careful eyeballing and check with a level on the left one as well. Both landing gear cylinders move their rods just fine, no binding, although they do not move together, which as a newbie I find a bit disconcerting. The hydraulic system seems to be only able to operate one cylinder at a time, so there is a bit of a dance when it is getting ready for hitching up or landing. Is this normal ?

Also, the system won't auto level unless the rig is sitting "reasonably level". We had to use leveling planks to get it back from - 3.8 degrees off level to less than one off degree level. Have you noticed how far off level a site can be without first leveling the coach with planks or blocks/ramps ?

Last question on the Lippert system - have you any suggestions on changing the hydraulic fluid ? I am assuming it is a D.I.Y. service item, but there must be some tips, tricks, and gotcha items to know about.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #53
DaleRobertson
Established Member

M.O.C. #22977
Why are you changing hydraulic fluid
DaleRobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #54
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Red face Lippert landing gear not perfectly vertical

Well, although out of character for me, I read in the Lippert owners' manual that the fluid should be changed every two years. I assume it gets a little warm and probably picks up contaminants as it travels through hoses at high pressure. I will check again and see if the manual does indeed recommend replacing it, but I am pretty sure it is a recommended service item.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:18 PM   #55
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftie Canuk View Post
Carl,
Both landing gear cylinders move their rods just fine, no binding, although they do not move together, which as a newbie I find a bit disconcerting. The hydraulic system seems to be only able to operate one cylinder at a time, so there is a bit of a dance when it is getting ready for hitching up or landing. Is this normal ?
The hydraulic system works on an equal pressure basis. One jack will go down before another due to difference in resistance. But once the jacks are both grounded they move equally. This is normal.

Quote:
Also, the system won't auto level unless the rig is sitting "reasonably level". We had to use leveling planks to get it back from - 3.8 degrees off level to less than one off degree level. Have you noticed how far off level a site can be without first leveling the coach with planks or blocks/ramps ?
I don't have an answer. I don't think I have ever had a site that far off level. I know when using manual mode to lift the RV to get the wheels off the ground (for maintenance purposes of course) you do have to "walk" it up alternating sides. There is a safety check to prevent you from getting the RV too far out of balance. I am sure 3 degrees is beyond the limit.

Quote:
Last question on the Lippert system - have you any suggestions on changing the hydraulic fluid ? I am assuming it is a D.I.Y. service item, but there must be some tips, tricks, and gotcha items to know about.
In 7 years I have never changed the fluid. I have added fluid for stiction relief and to replace fluid due to a leak. But no wholesale replacement.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #56
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
If you can get to hyd reservoir filler cap easily then a turkey baster will let you siphon out the oil and replace it. If not a small lube hand pump found at any auto parts store will do.

Best to do with gear up and slides in to allow more fluid removal from reservoir.

Also... determine if your system is using AW32 hyd oil or if it’s got transmission fluid in reservoir.

If it’s honey brown color it’s AW32 and Lippert recommends not mixing fluid ... my 2014 has AW32. Siphoned off last year and refilled. It’s not a total swap out but good
Enough.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lippert jack