Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
97 degrees, 75% rh, heat index 108, cool camper??

There have been many discussions recently about cooling or the lack of in our rigs. Rather than posting about difficulties, here is a post about successes. First, last year we experienced some difficulties with our living room thermostat reading abnormally high inside temperatures which I knew were erroneous. The inside temp on the thermostat would read 95 degrees when a thermometer set beside it would read in the seventies. Being of a curious nature, I decided to do some experimenting. I detached the thermostat from the wall housing, extracted about a foot of the wire and simply placed the thermostat on the closet top shelf by the front door, instant success was realized proven by both temperatures reading the same for the inside for the first time. The end result is that I now realize that imam going to have to relocate the thermostat which will be a project for later. The most important thing that I learned is to leave the ac fans on high and to supplement the ac's with a small portable room dehumidifier. The dehumidifier so far is removing about a cup of water a day from the inside air and is enabling the two ac's to maintain the inside temps in the 70's. Bottom line, we have the temp control figured out and are happy campers in some oppressive conditions.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The thermostat on this 13 3402 is with the control panel in the stairway. The 06 3400 was at the end of the counter and did not read properly.It has been unusually hot and humid all month and the camper is plugged in both A/C's on. This 13 is much better insulated and IMO the thermostat is placed in a much better location. We are having no problem maintaining a comfortable temp in the camper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Have the dehumidifier, but haven't used it all summer. Temps between 100 and 112 so far and the heat index is nearly always the same. When it never rains there's no humidity to get out. Have to water us and the cats constantly and have used a whole winters supply of chapstick already.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Always wondered if a dehumidfier would help or hurt. They do put out a small amount of heat. Thanks for the info. We just left Ocean Lakes next door from PirateLand, and the temps/humidity was awful. The block off the step furnace returns seemed to do the trick for us. Maintained low seventies at all times.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
They definitely help in places with high humidity like Florida, but here this summer they don't have anything to work with.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Where was the original location of the thermostat? Ours is in the wall directly above that shelf at the top of the coat closet inside the kitchen door. Ours reads very accurate as I have an indoor/outdoor weather station along side.
Biggest problem keeping the interior comfortable in that kind of weather is to keep to a minimum the amount of times the doors open and also the amount of time it is left open. There is a Hugh rush of cold air the leaves the trailer when the door opens and it takes a long time for the AC units to replace it.
We are getting ready to leave for a 10 day stay at Delaware Seashore State Park. I'm expecting the same weather.
Stay cool!
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Used the AC once in June, something to be said about 7500ft ASL.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Kieth and Brenda:
We are leaving Fri. Aug 1 for 7 days site 266 Delaware Seashore. Stop and say hello!

Bill & Cindy
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We have the second A/C and stay very comfortable . We can even make it too cold.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:38 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Our thermostat is also on the wall just inside the front door, but I think some of the mods that I have done have increased the temperature in the hollow column. I have an automatic transfer switch as well as the Ems system mounted inside the first left basement panel. The space behind the panel is open to this columnar space. In addition the three runs of coax cable from the satellite dish traverse down through this column. I think the coax is the culprit as it is exposed to the sun on the roof and the faulty temperature readings were always during daylight hours. I plan to reroute the thermostat wiring behind the switch panel in the front closet and mount it on the side of the closet adjacent to the steps leading to the front living room. This will isolate the thermostat from the column which is holding the daytime heat. I did install insulationin the column behind the thermostat, but that did not help. It is a very true statement about the front door. We have a Mylar film cover over the screens since DW prefers the door to remain open. Obviously, this does not provide much of an r value as is evidenced by the 77 degree inside temp during the time the door remains open, then it drops to 72 degrees when we leave for a while and close the outer front door. But, if momma's happy..........
Bingo
Old 07-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #11
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We are spending the summer in Pennsylvania Hot
I attached Sun Blocking material with Velcro to the Sky Light frame big help in maintaining cool temp
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #12
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Bingo, I see you are/were in myrtle beach. We just left Sunset Beach yesterday,rented a house for the whole family. It is hot there right now, I am glad to see you can stay cool n the Monty. Some day I will meet somebody from this club. we have been close but no cigar... I also noticed on a previous post a few days ago, a MOC member was at Lake Chautauqua in NY, that is only about a 1/2 hour from our home. again,close but....
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Bingo,
We had a similar problem with too much heat; we rectified the problem by moving our house to the Pacific Northwest for the summer.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I would be all for that as well Robbie, but DW loves the heat. I am the one that gets cranky, irritable, and short with words. Lots of cold drinks and shade suits me just fine, but gotta go where the navigator points!! We have a other trip planned to charleston, sc for thanksgiving when the more moderate temps will be to my liking.
Bingo
Old 07-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #15
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cdaniels

Kieth and Brenda:
We are leaving Fri. Aug 1 for 7 days site 266 Delaware Seashore. Stop and say hello!

Bill & Cindy
Will look ya up! We are on site 213 on the front row. Can't wait to get some of that Grotto Pizza.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I would be all for that as well Robbie, but DW loves the heat. I am the one that gets cranky, irritable, and short with words. Lots of cold drinks and shade suits me just fine, but gotta go where the navigator points!! We have a other trip planned to charleston, sc for thanksgiving when the more moderate temps will be to my liking.
Bingo
Alice likes the heat too. We move north when the average temp is over 85 for me, and south when it the average temp is under 85 for her. Alice hates it when I get cranky and irritable; ...keeps us happy and moving every 14 days.

Hope you enjoy and have great weather on your trip to SC.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #17
kampk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11126
it was 59 here in New Hampshire this morning, so our heart goes out to all suffering from the heat. I think we have used the AC just a few days this year.
kampk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:31 AM   #18
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Keith & Brenda:
Great! We will do the same. Your right...Grotto's and Surf's Up for our favorite sub! See you there!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote