Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #21
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
From a very recent Good Sam's Insider article, quoted in part...

" Wheel Bearings Maintenance and Care

The most important trailer maintenance item has to be wheel bearings. They are the # 1 source of breakdown on the highway. However, it is amazing that bearings are the most over-looked maintenance item when planning a trip. Many people mistakenly think that since they don't use their RV much, the bearings should be o.k. Unfortunately this is not the case as bearing grease can break down and bearings can rust and pit from lack of use.

When checking your wheel bearing, it is also a good time to inspect the entire suspension system since the wheels are off. This inspection should include:

Looking for damage and excess wear on the hub assembly, lug studs and nuts, brake pads, magnets, springs, and adjusters.
Checking axle welds and spring mounts on the frame, shackles and bolts, springs and equalizers.
Adjusting the brakes, for maximum stopping power.
Lubricating all moving parts of the brakes and suspension.
Wheel bearings should be cleaned and inspected then re-packed or replaced Every Year. Most RV's and travel trailers use "Dexter" axles under them. Dexter places a soft metal tag wrapped around the tube with the axel information and load capacity this will help locate the proper bearings and seals. Check your owners Packet for information on your axels.

Care and maintenance for wheels and tires is a lot like bearings, the more they are used the less likely you are to have trouble with them. The following are the most common problems with wheels and tires:

Improper inflation: The proper tire pressures should be listed on a sticker, usually next to the Mfg VIN # tag on the left front of the trailer. This information should be checked before every trip along with tire pressure.
Direct Sunlight: Whenever possible, keep your tires out of direct sun-light, with a tire cover, or in the shade. There are also many tire products that have UV protection and are available in most stores.
Tire Wear: Another common tire problem is poor tread wear. If you have a tire, or multiple tires that have no tread in the middle, but plenty of tread on the side, then those tires have been running with the air pressure too high. Similarly, if you have tread damage on both edges but good tread in the middle, those tires have been running with the pressure too low. If you have tread damage on either the inside or outside of the tire, but no damage to the other edge of the tire, this shows you the tire has been riding at an angle, and you have a suspension problem that needs to be looked into right away.
It is important to note, that whenever you inspect your tire sidewalls and you find them cracked, crazed, or if you see any deformations to the smooth surface, you are in imminent danger of a tire blow out. These tires should be replaced before your next trip..."

This seems to directly respond to jsnip42's original question.

mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:39 AM   #22
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

From a very recent Good Sam's Insider article, quoted in part...

" Wheel Bearings Maintenance and Care

The most important trailer maintenance item has to be wheel bearings. They are the # 1 source of breakdown on the highway. However, it is amazing that bearings are the most over-looked maintenance item when planning a trip. Many people mistakenly think that since they don't use their RV much, the bearings should be o.k. Unfortunately this is not the case as bearing grease can break down and bearings can rust and pit from lack of use.

When checking your wheel bearing, it is also a good time to inspect the entire suspension system since the wheels are off. This inspection should include:

Looking for damage and excess wear on the hub assembly, lug studs and nuts, brake pads, magnets, springs, and adjusters.
Checking axle welds and spring mounts on the frame, shackles and bolts, springs and equalizers.
Adjusting the brakes, for maximum stopping power.
Lubricating all moving parts of the brakes and suspension.
Wheel bearings should be cleaned and inspected then re-packed or replaced Every Year. Most RV's and travel trailers use "Dexter" axles under them. Dexter places a soft metal tag wrapped around the tube with the axel information and load capacity this will help locate the proper bearings and seals. Check your owners Packet for information on your axels.

Care and maintenance for wheels and tires is a lot like bearings, the more they are used the less likely you are to have trouble with them. The following are the most common problems with wheels and tires:

Improper inflation: The proper tire pressures should be listed on a sticker, usually next to the Mfg VIN # tag on the left front of the trailer. This information should be checked before every trip along with tire pressure.
Direct Sunlight: Whenever possible, keep your tires out of direct sun-light, with a tire cover, or in the shade. There are also many tire products that have UV protection and are available in most stores.
Tire Wear: Another common tire problem is poor tread wear. If you have a tire, or multiple tires that have no tread in the middle, but plenty of tread on the side, then those tires have been running with the air pressure too high. Similarly, if you have tread damage on both edges but good tread in the middle, those tires have been running with the pressure too low. If you have tread damage on either the inside or outside of the tire, but no damage to the other edge of the tire, this shows you the tire has been riding at an angle, and you have a suspension problem that needs to be looked into right away.
It is important to note, that whenever you inspect your tire sidewalls and you find them cracked, crazed, or if you see any deformations to the smooth surface, you are in imminent danger of a tire blow out. These tires should be replaced before your next trip..."

This seems to directly respond to jsnip42's original question.

Just curious. You gonna pull the hubs before every trip? Other than that, I see no clue as to a schedule to re-pack the bearings. I would adhere to Dexter policy as outlined by Orv before I did that.

I would definitely agree on checking the suspension and tires well before heading out on any trip.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:53 AM   #23
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Tom, I'm not gonna quote all that. I know the GM 4 WDs have had the disposable bearing hubs since back in the 80s and early 90s. They don't last like the old tapered roller bearings did. Our 04 had both replaced before 100K miles. I'm not sure what the other vehicles have now. I make an effort not to work on them anymore. The point I was trying to make was just that I've seen those old 70 and 80 model vehicles run at least a 100K miles without bearing service on the front wheels. And lubricants are far improved now. Not sure about the bearings tho. Last time I put a set in the boat trailer, made in China, and the race was so out of round I like to have never started it in the hub. I seldom pull it over a half mile or so, and it has preformed flawlessly. I suppose the hub straightened it up.
Will, I too have seen older style wheel bearings last over 100K, but I always checked and repacked if needed whenever I did brakes, which was always way before the 100K mark, so I can't say the bearings lasted that long w/o maintenance. The old style drum brakes only lasted around 20K to 30K, so by the time the car had 100K, I had checked the bearings at least 3 times. And I kind of agree on the sealed bearings not lasting. The reason why I say kind of, is I had to replace my work truck's sealed bearings at 75K, but a friend of mine had 225K on his when he got rid of the truck and it still had the originals! I do know the replacements I bought had a lifetime guarantee.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:43 AM   #24
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
Thanks for all the idea's. Think I will take it to my local dealer to have the bearings repacked and the brake parts checked out. It is not showing any signs of trouble but I like the piece of mind knowing it was checked out.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:28 AM   #25
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.
I do know the replacements I bought had a lifetime guarantee.
Same here. Both hubs almost $1200. Dang ABS sensors are in the hubs.

Last 2WD I had was a 1999 Yukon. It had around 80K on it when I got rid of it, and no re-pack on the front bearings. It had the tapered roller brgs on the spindles. I've had extremely good luck with the OEM disc pads on the GM products. The 04 Sierra had around 150K on the front pads and still in good shape.

I am definitely not trying to talk anyone out of servicing the bearings anytime they deem necessary. Just trying to make everyone realize they will run for extended mileage if necessary. We all have to do what we are comfortable with.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #26
barmar
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8385
Is there a web-site that provides good info as to 'how to' inspect and repack trailer wheel bearings??
barmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #27
gypsies2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10209
Posted this on another forum. We have been on an extended trip. I check my tires and hubs at every stop for temperature. Just feel the tire with my hand and check the hubs with my fingers. After 13000 km into the trip I noticed some grease seepage from two hubs and they were slightly warmer to the touch than others. Stopped at the Keystone dealer in Grande Prairie, Alberta and within an hour my rig was in getting the bearings cleaned, checked and repacked. The bearings were good but the grease was getting "soupy and thin" according to the tech. that did the job. Since then, no seepage and the temps. feel even when I check. As mentioned before, you can agree or disagree, you can check things on a regular basis or not, it's your call! I would much sooner repack than have the possibility of a trailer wheel passing me on the highway. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
gypsies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #28
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Well, had the rig in Friday getting wet-bolts, among other "stuff" - told them to ignore the E-Z lube zerks and repack the bearings the old fashioned way. Guess what, they found a leaky seal - coulda had a sobering effect on my brake linings.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote