Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
2006 Montana Propane Compartment Access Doors

Needing some suggestions... the propane compartment door on the passenger side of my Monty does not want to stay latched. A bit disturbing going down the interstate and watching the door start flopping in the breeze.

I've used an aircraft safety wiring technique with a light weight bungy cord to keep it closed, but not the right way. I didn't find any adjustments to be made on the door latches, other than tightening them up (nut and screw holding latching finger in position).

I started looking at installing key-locking latches on each door, but there's got to be a better way....

Suggestions please!!

John Ware
On the road in OKC
2006 344 RET Montana
2004 Dodge 2500
Wife of 37 years and 2 Border Collies.

jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You don't want to put locks on propane doors. It is a fire safety issue. It may also be illegal.

Look into bending the latching plate on the latch toward your door just a little to increase the tension.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I think you can take off the latch and turn it partway around so instead of working open it would work closed. IF I remember correctly that is what I did.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
John,
Ours did the same thing. It was really annoying. If you look at the way the latch works simply do as Grampatchet suggested. Loosen the latch and turn it so that the forces of gravity and the wind work on it to keep it closed rather than to open it. We turned ours and now no trouble as they stay closed until we open them.

As was pointed out Stiles Watson do not put a lock on the door. I do believe that is illegal and a major safety violation.

Good luck and let us know how it works for you.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:16 AM   #5
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
I believe the key latches are a no-no. You need to have fast access in case of an emergency where the tanks need closed in a hurry.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:33 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You can get latches with a longer locking arm at about any Rv dealer or C.W. We had to do that with a couple of compartment doors including one propane door.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:41 AM   #7
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
try turning the latch arm around. The arm usually has two beveled corners. so if you flip it around you will have a little more pressure on the latch. might need to push in a little on the door to get the latch to turn. I did this to one of my doors to get it to close tighter.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The problem with a door I have was the blade was not long enough to stay latched and any bouncing of the rig caused the door to fly open. But mine was the small door covering the "water inlets".

I bought a latch with a longer blade at an RV parts store. Unfortunately, I only needed the longer blade and didn't need the rest of the latch system, but I could not find just the blade part. I still needed to cut the blade to shorten it down a bit because it was too long, but the affected door does stay closed now.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
Thanks folks!!! I'll back up and give it a new eye this weekend!!

John
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #10
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I finally decided I had had enough of the flopping doors, so I got some stock cut a longer arm and made a square hole in one end and it now will stay closed and will do a couple of others. Just used a hacksaw and small drill bit to cutout the square
hole, had to do some filing. The longer one you can buy were not long enough
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote