Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608
Tank indicator panel

Hi all,

The indicator panel in my 2006 3400rk keeps showing the Black tank @ 2/3 full.
I know for sure the tank is empty as I flushed it until it ran clear so to speak. Now I kinda know when to empty the tank based on use ...but this indicator is driving me bananas ... I seem to recall this being discussed before but does anyone have any quick fix ideas etc...

Thanks in advance

Sean

Sean

borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Sean - forget it! None of these black tank indicators work well. We do get ours to read empty after much flushing. Something gets got on the indicator inside the tank and makes the indicator malfunction. We have had 3 5th wheels and it has been the same story. From experience, you learn when to dump.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:35 PM   #3
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
Before I added the Quickie Flush from Camping world I would completely fill the tank (after dumping) using a hose down the toilet and then dumping again. 99% of the time that would remove whatever was caught on the sensor. Haven't had the problem since I added the quickie flush and use it to rinse every time I dump.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:34 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I use Calgon water softener to clean the tank. Flush it and before leaving to go on the road add a gallon or so of water and a cup of Calgon it works well in cleaning the sides of the tank. If you have been around "soft" water you will understand. As you indicated once your use to your usage that is the best.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:21 PM   #5
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Like Sue and Ed, don't worry about it. Every TT and fifth wheel I have ever had the gages have never worked. When the toilet bubbles at you when you flush it, drain it. When the gray tank starts to gurgle, drain it. We flush each tank once a week so I don't even look at the gages.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:09 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Sean,
The gauges as delivered from the factory work only once! Well at least the black tank. Sometimes the gray is not too much better. If you want the gauges to work you need to install some after market sensors. They mount on the outside of the tank. Trailer Life had a nice article about a year or year and a half ago that gave a lot of good information. They are not cheap but apparently work well. As for me.... well we just have learned to know when the tanks need to be serviced. Much cheaper and once you get used to things.... no problem.

Good luck.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:10 PM   #7
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Ours will read like that a times. We use the calgon method and it takes care of it along with the flush system.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:08 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Here comes the exception to the rule.We have never had a guage problem in any of our campers..Haven't had the 3400 long enough to say that except that they work now.We do have the advantage of a dump station here at the house and we keep the tanks really cleaned out.We do use the Calgon or any brand of water softener method, believe that helps.In my opinion the problem with most Rvers is they do not have the facilities to really flush the tanks out properly.We will spend at least 1 hour here at the house flushing all the tanks after a camping trip.Also use the proper type of TP..if it is safe for use in Septic tanks it is good for RV use.Also food particles grease and soap scum in the gray tanks will cause a problem..the gray tanks need just as much care as the black tanks.We are hoping that the new docking station with the black tank flush will work as well as the wand down the commode method.After we flush the tanks out here at home I will fill the tanks up with water and dish washing soap and let then sit for a day or two to let anything that is in there disolve.I know most folks just don't have the facilities to do all that but it has worked for us..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:25 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Gauges??? What Gauges????

OH Those Gauges!!!

It's been so long since I last looked at them I forgot they're even there. I don't waste my time or money trying to find a way to keeping them working. As a matter of fact I spend more time telling people to forget them than I do trying to clean them. Believe me, the tanks will give you tell tail signs when they need dumping. At that time pull the valve and dump. Then flush the tank until the draining water runs clear. Close the valve and wait for the next tell tail sign.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:05 AM   #10
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
I agree with Parrothead - forget about it. You know they're empty and clean, that's all that matters. The only one I pay attention to is the battery.

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:23 AM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Have any of you ever put ice in your black tank when you are traveling from one place to other. I have heard if you put water in it and the ice that the ice will bounce around and break away any paper particles that are stuck. Our last FW didn't have sensors so we just used the method of dumping when needed.

For those that use the Calgon. Do you put that in instead of the green chemiclas such as Ordorless ( I think that is the name of it) or is that along with another product?
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:17 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Why do we need gauges? When the tanks are full, I just empty them. Has worked for over 6 years of full timing. The only gauge I keep an eye on is the fresh water gauge. When we are dry camping it allows me to know how much longer I can go without filling.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:52 AM   #13
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

Hi all,

Thank you all for the advice. I really posted as a method of confirming that my judgement on the use of tank indicators was correct ..Forget them. As this is my first RV experience (living full time no less !!) I am hyper aware of everything and you all have put my mind at ease.

Sean
borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:43 AM   #14
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I'm with Glenn and others on this. Those #@%$&! guages never work properly, so I just ignore them and dump when the "sound" is right. After a while you can tell when your anks are getting full. Black water makes a kind of "gulping or "plopping" sound and the grey water tends to drainwith bubbling sound. Seems strange, but it works for me
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:04 AM   #15
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Even after leaving the black tank flush running for an hour or more, and allowing the insides of the tank to dry off a bit before reading the gages, (assuming that'd let the sensors know there is nothing in it,) our black tank gage is seldom registering empty.

As Rickety says, ours lets us know when it's time. In our 2004 3380, you could actually see down into the pipe so far that you could see the level starting to rise. With this 2005 3475, we get that "gulping," or even a "burping" when it's time to flush.

The gray water tank's "time" will simply evidence itself if we try to take four showers without dumping, the water starts to not drain from the shower.

The galley tank will simply refuse to drain in the sink, or the second sink will start to back up.

I've taken to draining the gray tank every morning after we shower, and the galley tank every four days or so.

As for the black tank? At the first sign of a "gulping," I'm out there to at least pull the handle. If it's daylight, I'll turn on the flush.

I'm guessing that some day there will be an infallible tank sensor that you can even set to drain the tanks by itself.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #16
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I have a new (2006) 2955RL, and my black tank indicates 1/3 full all the time when the tank is empty. I have tried the flusher, but it doesn't seem to work. At least I can't hear water flowing when I have it hooked up. Is there an adjustment for those?

I have used the ice trick, and it works. Have to try the Calgon.

scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
By the time you need to put Ice in the tank it is already to late..Keeping them well flushed and clean is the answer.I have flushed the black tank..filled it and flushed it till clear water came out..THEN..did the wand down the commode thing and you can not believe what comes out..The calgon is used in addition to the black tank chemicals. We also use a tiny bit of Rid-X when at a place for a few days.You have got to get the TP dissolved and keep grease from building up.Your guages will most likely not fail and all your tanks will smell better... It is lot of work and we are trying to figure out how to do the kind of tank maint we have been doing when on the road for maybe 6 months out of the year..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:05 PM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have learned over the past 3 years when my tanks are full. When dumping the black tank, I empty and the flush. I have a clear elbow on the sewer hose and can see when the water turns clear. I then close the valve, leave the flush going to fill the black tank a bit. Empty again and flush for a few more mins. I use 2 bottles of Thetford Toilet Chem as I am set up for 6 months at a time, and the tanks do not get dumped every week. So far, never had an odor problem and my tank gauges work perfectly. I just love my Montana!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:08 PM   #19
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
richfaa, do you put Rid-X in the gray water tanks, too? Have put it in the black water tank for years. Always feels it does good for the holding tank, but also helps when you dump a load in a RV Park septic system.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:15 PM   #20
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Calgon or Borax is NOT in addition to chemicals. It is in place of using chemicals and much cheaper. The black flush works if you close the black tank and let it fill for a few minutes then empty. It takes several times to clean it completely. Don't let it fill too long. You should be able to hear the spray and when the spray can't be heard, it is time to dump.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote