Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Tom Bunn

M.O.C. #12453
Slide out floor repair or replacement

I have a 2000 3255rl montana that has set with the slide outs out for several years with no cover. The bedroom one seems fine floor wise, but the outside walls have some delamination. The living/kitchen slide out has rotted subfloor on the one end. Two part question here. The delamination on the side I can live with for a while, but would like to know if anything can be done about that. The most important part that I have to fix is the rotten floor. Has anyone done this or can you tell me where to get information on how to do this. Not sure if I need to replace the entire floor or just the area that is damaged.
Hope someone can help.
Tom Bunn

Tom Bunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Both repairs can be tricky. There are previous threads on this forum and the RVNet Forum by folks who have repaired minor delamination; you did not say how bad yours was. On my 2002, I pulled out all the carpeting, and put in a heavy vinyl that looked just like a wood product. On the slides, the floor was a single piece of plywood, and covered underneath by a matting material. If the unit is set up permanently, and damage is not extensive, you may be able to get away with laying down that black woodrot stuff that home depot/lowes sells, and put a new sheet of plywood on top of the old. I have not faced your problem but suspect that if the rot is substantial, replacing the floor may require removing the slide which I have done. That is not complicated but requires some hard muscle. I used two oil drums to support, and 4 strong buddies to remove and replace. Once out (mark all slide settings first), the slide can be tipped so you can get access to the bottom. A key factor is whether the flooring to the slide is attached from the bottom or whether it sits on top of a lip within the slide. If it sits on top of a lip within the slide, removal may not be necessary. I would think floor integrity would be compromised, with a cosmetic patch. Re the floor I would recommend you talk to a knowledgble RV tech as a first step. There may be a simplier way. Hopefully some smart person on this forum will know step by step what to do.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Last year we had to have the floor replaced in our living room slide due to the floor dropping down. Seems that back when we found a leak in the slide roofing, water had run down one end of the slide and caused the floor to rot out. Only cost $1600.00. Had it replaced by our dealer.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote