Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2007, 07:00 AM   #1
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Passport America question

I've gone to their website and found the "general" information but have a couple of questions for the experienced users. Do most of the campgrounds just set a side a few specific sites that are for PA users? or do they have to be a certain % empty before they honor the discount? How often do you stop at a site and they tell you the discount is not available for some reason (too full, all PA sites full, etc.). Are the campgrounds usually in good upkeep? We are still in the workforce so don't get to travel a lot, but am wondering if I should invest for a 3 week vacation coming up.

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
VanMan - see my reply under General Discussions "Passport America - is it good?" - plus some parks you can make reservations for and some you can't - some you can use the discount for one night, some for 3 days, some for a week - each park seems to have their own rules!
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
From the book of campgrounds I got with our membership, I look for Passport America campgrounds. The one we stay at most often in Va. we can stay Sun - Wed half price. We just did. I called ahead and made reservations. But being so early in the season, hardly anyone was there.
We've never had a problem. But have always called ahead.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
VanMan, that was good advice from Chuck, always call ahead.
We use P.A. a lot and one park in Pigeon Forge, Eagles Nest, is for a week. $17.5 a night sure beats $35 for the site next to me, which when we were there was occupied by our friends traveling with us!
You have to watch when you can use P.A , but for $44 a year, it's hard to beat!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I agree with Steve. We've found that with careful planning we can easily save enough to pay for the membership. They're usually not big RV resorts but then we don't always want to stay at them either. The most frustrating thing is that just when you want to go there, it's their high season and the discounts don't apply. All in all, we won't travel without a PA membership.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Thanks everyone for the input - I just signed up for P.A. and Enjoy America both. Plan on more than paying for the annual membership for both on our 3 week trip to AZ. They both have a pretty good gimmick going. They both tell you it may be up to 4 weeks before you recive the package by mail, but for an additional $5 they will mail it first class the next day and it'll be it your hands in 3-5 days. $10 down the tube, but I didn't want to chance not receiving it before we leave. Oh well, we'll just have to use them a couple more times to recoup!! Thanks again !!

On edit: hmmmm, I couldn't view the Enjoy America campground directory online without a membership #. Now that I have one, I looked around a little and it appears most of the campgrounds are duplicates with P.A - they do, however, appear to have different "deals". I'm not sure but what the Enjoy America posted rates aren't higher than just taking a 10% Good Sam discount. We have Good Sam, AAA, AARP and now Enjoy America and P.A (talk about OVERKILL)!! Well at least we'll have a pretty good choice and won't be wishing we had one of the others (since we apparantly have them ALL now)! We learn as we go, huh??
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In four years of fulltiming I have found just one park that set aside specific sites for PA. That was a park just south of Oklahoma City. Unlike when you get a hotel discount, I've never felt we were given a lesser site because we paid a lesser amount due to our PA membership.

You also can access the directory online at www.passportamerica.com .
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote