Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Internet

We will be retiring in a couple of years and will be looking for a reasonable way to hook up to the INTERNET. There are some of the retired Canadians that are traveling now that also would like to know. We don't want contracts just monthly plans as we are only allowed 180 days a year in the US.

hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
you could get an air card, I have one from Verizon. Mine is pay as you go, here is a link to Verizon's Q&A.

http://support.vzw.com/clc/faqs/VZAc...s_daypass.html

I bought my card from eBay for $35.00, although I was warned that if the air card was stolen, Verizon would not activate the card and I would be out the $35.00.

Signal was good anywhere I went. but now I have the Verizon Droid X smart phone, it acts like a WIFI hot spot for an extra $20 a month with 2Gig of data usage. I can turn this WIFI feature on/off when ever I want, so if we are away for 2 weeks, I can turn it off after we get home.

Verizon works the best for us, but i'm sure the other wireless carriers work fine in most areas too.

Oh, this air card has an activation fee of $35.00, as long as you use it once every 6 months, you dont have to reactivate it.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

Signal was good anywhere I went. but now I have the Verizon Droid X smart phone, it acts like a WIFI hot spot for an extra $20 a month with 2Gig of data usage. I can turn this WIFI feature on/off when ever I want, so if we are away for 2 weeks, I can turn it off after we get home.
My wife has a Droid we use a program for it PdaNet which allows connection via USB or Bluetooth. Program cost about $16, and you don't have to pay the extra $20 a month. We use the USB, since the battery will go down pretty fast on the Driod if not plugged in.
http://junefabrics.com/android/
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
If you're retiring in 2 years, wait about 22 months to look. The field is evolving so fast, who knows what will be available then.
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:41 AM   #5
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Carry a lap top; most restaurants, all libraries and gas stations have WIFI and they are not charging for usage when needed. We travelled for 3 months and forb internet was redily available no matter where we were stopped; other than boondocking at Quartzsite without an air card.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote