Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > MOC Gals General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I pulled the Monty on the Interstate

Bob had to take a conference call on our way up to Wisconsin. He gets on the phone and they tell him the call will be two hours long. We still had a long way to travel that day, so guess who had to pull on the interstate???? Yeppers, that would be me. I had only pulled the Monty to the dealership that was 20 miles from the house.

I really couldn't feel that I had a big monster behind me. I feel better about my ability to pull this thing now. I will make sure that when we take it to Marble Falls in July that I pull it through town and into the RV Park. I want to be prepared if I have to ever pull this thing all on my own.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Glad you feel positive about driving it now. I'm a firm believer both spouses should know how to drive it, as well as hook up and unhook. One never knows when they might have to do any of these. Thanks for posting this.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
WOW, so proud of you. I pulled our SOB once. I've not drug the Montana yet, tho. It's such a major high when you know that you've done it successfully. Congratulations.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
WAHOOOOOO COLLEEN!!

Congrats, it really is not as bad as it seems.

If a lady can drive an 18 wheeler, we can drive these units!!! How many ladies drive a school bus??? LOTS!!! We can drive these units!

Also we believe that in an emergency we should both be able to get the unit to the next stop. (Been there, done that)

YEA GIRL!!!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Oh my goodness I feel the love.......I really was tickled when I was pulling the Monty. He was so busy with the conference call he didn't have time to be white knuckled about my driving. I must say I did notice how stupid drivers are about putting their life in an RV'ers hands when the pull out in front of you with little space between us. I will pull again, but want to do it in short periods to work my way into a long pull. The next challenge is backing it!! Oh, I forgot I need to hitch the thing up too!! Ok, I am not passing out...one step at a time hee hee.

Colleen
Old 06-17-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
You go girl, I am trying to get Cathy to get behind the wheel also. I will show her your post for inspiration!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Bingo,

Just remember be calm when you are giving her suggestions. It was really great that Bob was occupied when I was driving. He only had time to give me one tip. "Start stopping sooner." I does take practice learning how long it takes you to bring this things to a dead stop. That is why I want to drive more on shorter jaunts. Also, learning the turning radius......on this trip he even miss judged how long we are. I want to learn all I need to know to get this thing from point A to point B safely.

Colleen
Old 06-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well driftwoodgal that was great ,, sharon asked when we went to the keys in fl if she could drive so i said yes and on alagator alley ,,, I-75 she took over and drove half way to miami ,, now evertime i see const ahead i ask , do you want to drive,,,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Right On Colleen!! There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

I agree with Mrs. CountryGuy, all of you ladies should get behind the wheel once in awhile, just to get the feel of things should an emergency ever arise. Vanessa has never pulled the Montana, but I have no doubt in her ability to do so. 5 or 6 years ago we had delivered a load of equipment to southern New Mexico, and on the return trip I got so sick I couldn't drive. It was a 38 foot gooseneck flatbed, and it was the first trailer she had ever pulled. Naturally she was scared, but having no other choice, she decided to give it a try. After a few miles she realized it wasn't near as hard as she had imagined it to be, and after a couple of hundred miles, she was actually comfortable with it.

So ladies, please put your inhibitions in a zip lock bag, and give it a try. Even if it takes very small steps to begin.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #10
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Way to go, Colleen! Congratulations.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:27 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Way to go! Maybe next trip you can drive my rig with DW as shotgun and I can ride BSD with your DH!

Besides backing for the first few times, one of the important things to remember when you are coming off the freeway, or in town, is WIDE turns. Those curbs and roadside things will jump up and scare you!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:03 AM   #12
kroencke
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8171
Colleen-Noticed you said you were going to Marble Falls in July. My husband and I are going also and will be there on the 10th and will be staying at Sunset Point RV Park on Lake LBJ. Just wondered when and where you are staying. Jackie
kroencke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:26 AM   #13
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
Yahooooooo! Another experienced lady RV driver! It's not so bad once you put your concerns away and just "do it". I've pulled ours in rural areas and on the highway and DH gives me no trouble if I should want to drive it in the city.

I'm with the rest of you about backing, though. To put our baby away we need to back it into a slot about 11 feet wide, bordered by someone else's boats. The problem is that we can't get close and turn into the slot, so we have to back about 120 feet into the slot. That's a lot of room to wiggle out of position. I'm hoping for an advanced driver's class in Goshen this year. Emphasis being on hook-up/breakdown and BACKING.
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:58 AM   #14
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Jackie,

We will be at Sunset Point from July 1-8. We live in Driftwood near Dripping Springs. Would love to see you if you have the time. Can you make Sunset Point a couple of days early? We have had reservations at the RV park for a year. Hopefully we will make it back by the 1st.

Colleen
Old 06-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #15
kroencke
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8171
Unfortunately we can't be there any earlier than the 10th. Will be there 5 days. Haven't been to that rv park before. Normally go to Inks Lake SP. Would have liked to meet some fellow Monty owners.
kroencke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #16
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Colleen,

HOORAY and CONGRATULATIONS! I'm sure that having your DH occupied helped BOTH of you! You didn't have to worry about his reactions and he was pretty occupied and couldn't freak out too bad/obviously.

People ARE oblivious to the fact that you are hauling something REALLY big that takes time to stop and do such STUPID things...pulling out in front of you from a parking lot, passing you and then pulling in MUCh too soon (and THEN slowing down!), and slowing/stopping/turning last minute.

Wayne's right about the WIDE turn thing.

I'm learning that the anticipation is usually MUCH worse than the actuality and your experience seems to confirm that!

Keep on keeping on!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:51 AM   #17
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Send a message via Yahoo to Snowhawk
WOOHOO Colleen!!! Welcome to the ranks of "I can drive this
big rig too!" I am SOOOOOOOOOO proud of you.

Are you coming to the rally? I believe there will be a driving
class for the gals only (sorry fellas... you can't be anywhere
near for this one!) We're even discussing an advanced
class for those who drive but would like a little more help with the backing up (which haunts so many). (some backing is covered in the beginner's class)

Keep on keepin' on... and don't let the simple things, except stupid drivers, scare you!

Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:04 AM   #18
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Congratulations on a successful run behind the wheel! You will soon be fighting Bob over who gets to drive if you don't watch out. (By the way, I'm impressed that Bob could actually get a 2-hour conference call via cell phone, if that's how he did it. You couldn't get a 15-minute cell phone call up in Montana here unless you pulled over to talk, because towers are few and far between and the dreaded CALL LOST is a frequent.)

Marble Falls--the Bluebonnet Cafe--sunsets--I'm homesick again. We lived for over a year in our old Cardinal 5th-wheeler on Texas 1431 between Marble Falls and Lago Vista, in a now-defunct RV park called Cow Creek. The year or so we lived there was one of the best times we've ever had. If you have any reason to take 1431 into Leander and Austin, check out Idyll Glen RV park in Jonestown. We haven't seen it since it was finished, and it's where we hope to stay when we are back in Texas.

Keep on rolling, Colleen. I drive our rig a lot--that's the control-freak in me coming out. Bad, bad deal.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #19
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49

Eeoski is right. The anticipation is much worse than the actual execution. Same for backing up. Piece of cake. *LOL*

I actually enjoy the challenge of pulling and backing up the Montana. Each time I do it, I learn a little bit more and I get great satisfaction knowing that I CAN do it.

Margee.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:22 AM   #20
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Thanks all of the praise you guys. I guess I need to start "firm persuading" Bob to let me hook up and do all of the outside things. I really have been lazy about learning things, but this is really our longest trip since owning the Monty.

The call was on a cell phone. We were traveling on I 40 through Arkansas between Little Rock and West Memphis. We have AT&T phone and air card service. We have had trouble with service in Minnesota as well as South Dakota. I was surprized that the farmers in Minnesota don't put up towers for extra income.

Carolyn, we live just outside of Austin in a little town called Driftwood. When we are camping in Marble Falls it is a destination spot that we camp at with other friends. They have a boat so lots of joy riding and fishing goes on. Since it is over 100 there I am sure there will be lots of water time.

Colleen