Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Brake lights on 209 Big Sky

Anyone know if the apparently sealed brake lights can be safely opened to replace the light bulb? Thanks...

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you see screws on any part of the rear lenses then they are not sealed beams and you can remove the screws to replace the bulbs. Unlike sealed beams you also don't have to replace each pair. Just replace the one(s) that have failed. Make sure you replace it with the same bulb type. They are no longer as standard as they used to be. Match what's there or hopefully they are listed somewhere.

I seriously doubt the rear lamps are sealed. If you do not see screws, then they might be screw off types. Sealed beams are typically reserved for headlamps since being in front of vehicles it is critical they are sealed to keep out the elements. But there is no need for that expensive of a part on any trailer.

Good luck with this. (I like the heart on your sig)
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
I can't say for sure but dont believe you can.
In the mining business we go thru alot of the standard sealed units and have started converting over to LED style. Check out the link below. They may have what you need.

http://www.bargman.com/product/acces...ght%20-%20LED&
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
If I remember correctly the Cambridge we had they were sealed, had to replace them as a unit. I agree for sure I would go with LED's much better light and will last much longer. Expensive but if your going to keep the 5er I recomend the LEDs. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote