Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2004, 04:45 PM   #21
Montana_1985
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1985
and you folks actually CARRY all this stuff??? I've been trying to get rid of weight, and now i have to carry MORE steel jacks???? (LOL)..
I've grown acustomed

Montana_1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:25 AM   #22
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just to say -- I'm with you Tedd. We use only the rear stabilizers, better a little movement than the weight and trouble. But, as I always say, there's plenty of room for personal preferences in this business.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:30 AM   #23
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I picked up two small car jacks at 2nd hand store for $2. and pop rivited some alum plate I had to the top and bottom and now have two jacks for between the wheels so far working good and cheep.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:16 AM   #24
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Does that tripod on the kingpin help much? been thinking of getting one, but thought it too close to the landing gear to make much difference. Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:41 AM   #25
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave Anderson

Does that tripod on the kingpin help much? been thinking of getting one, but thought it too close to the landing gear to make much difference. Dave
Dave, It's pretty much like Country Guy explained it...
Quote:
quote:Tripod on front, rear stabilizer jacks and some adjustable jacks that we place near the spring holders, plus the "rotochok" between the tires. Sometimes we use 2 sets of adjustable jacks near tires and spring holders. We have stopped well over 90% of the wiggle, front and back, up and down with these "goodies". Without one or more of the goodies, it is like riding a carneval ride in there when one is sitting and the other is moving around. IF it rains, and we are sitting on less than a concrete pad, we sometimes have to go out and "tweak" the settings on one or more of these goodies.
I have found Country Guy's comment to be right on the mark. Since we were in Pla-Mor and even before that, we have been experimenting with this stabilization thing and have come to the same conclusion as Country Guy. Use ALL the above mentioned components and you'll get rid of 90% of the motion. The remaining 10% is left as a reminder that you are no longer in a stick house but instead living the good life of an RVer
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:17 AM   #26
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
For those that are not exactly sure what Country Guy and I are using here is a pic of the 3 items.... Click Here

Of course it should go without saying but you still need the rigs front jacks and the rear stabilizers.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:18 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, you commented that maybe the tripod is too close to the landing gear to be of much help. On ours, without tripod, I can push on the side of the coach by the propane locker and visibly sway the coach. With tripod it doesn't sway when I do that. Check yours to see if you can make it sway.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:39 AM   #28
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

We can shake our unit the same as you describe without the tripod, reaction the same with the tripod, it is extremely solid then.

Glenn,

We use Rotochok, for between the tires, a little different than what you show in the photo, but the theory is the same. We also use ramps under tires for leveling and small chocks under tires on opposite side of long ramps. These ramps and chocks do not do anything for stopping the bouncing situations.

When we said carneval ride, that is exactly what we meant . While sitting at the desk (a over night stop, still hooked up to truck, and no choks, no jacks and no rear stablizer jacks, Al walking around the trailer, I swear it was like riding a ride of some kind, bouncing up and down, made my tummy mad!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:53 AM   #29
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The Rotochok

In use

website
http://www.rotochok.com/
Old 12-06-2004, 12:13 PM   #30
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
A really different way to chok the wheels. With the rear stabilizers, wheel choks, and king pin stabilizer, our unit is very stable. As Glenn has said, you need to enjoy the slight motions of not being tied to a stick house. Great call on his part.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:18 PM   #31
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
That is it Glenn,

and Al tells me that the gal that takes the phone calls at Rotochok is really great! She knows her business and is pleasant to deal with!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote