Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2004, 11:40 AM   #1
Montana_403
Established Member

M.O.C. #403
Kitchen sink back up

Hi! Happy Holidays!! Haven't heard from us since last May - and boy, do we have a lot to tell. But after "y'all" help us out.
Our galley holding tank shows full (no surprise as we have discovered they never read right) but it seems it is true as the sink is very slow in draining. We were told to stop using Dawn as it could coat the pipes, so we have been using Joy the past three months. I have done my best to keep food particles out of the drain by am sure a few have snuck in. How do we clean the pipes and not damage the tank?
We will be on the road again next week (I think) and will do the black tank ice cube treatment, but that doesn't work in the grey or galley tank. Any suggestions?

Montana_403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 11:51 AM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Try adding liquid water softner to the tank and fill it to the top. Let it sit a while (as long as You can) and You will be surprised what will come out. Another way to prevent any buildup is to flush with hot water after doing dishes. Fill the sink and drain it. This will put a large volume of hot water and flush any debris out.
I flushed my black tank till the cows came home, the water ran perfectly clean. I then added water softner and filled it to the brim and let it sit. A ton of junk came out. The softner makes the water "slick" and breaks down stuff stuck to the sides.
I read on another Forum of a camper that uses no chamicals in the black tank just some water softner.

Good Luck,

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 11:52 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just a shot in the dark but are you aware there's a separate tank for the galley? It has a separate dump handle. Please forgive if you already knew that but you'd be surprised how many people were unaware of this because their dealer never told them. This dump handle will be on the same side as the others but is not in the basement. It's either between the wheels or aft of the wheels somewhere. Look up under the slide if you have a slide on that side.

As for Dawn, we use it all the time and have had no problems with it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 01:05 PM   #4
t1mrtork
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1744
Send a message via MSN to t1mrtork
NJ, when adding the softener, how much do you use?
t1mrtork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 04:59 PM   #5
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Don't you mean Fabric softener?
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 01:47 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
MuddyPaws; I believe he is refering to Calgon Water Softener. I have heard of this but never tried it. I'd try it but the longest I could let it set would only be for about 8 hours and I don't know if that would be long enough.

t1mrtork; A pint of Calgon to a full tank is what I was told.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:20 AM   #7
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
When you travel next week can you open the galley while in motion (traveling down the road) and maybe the ride will jar whatever it is loose. Of course you will have to be careful who's around to see it.

Just a thought!
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 03:23 AM   #8
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I use a capful or two into a tank of water. If You are going to be on the road try half filling the tank and adding softener for the trip. Drain when You hookup and see if there is a difference.

Calgon Water Softener is what I use, I found it at Wal-Mart. It's in the same section as the laundry soaps and fabric softener.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:40 PM   #9
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
You would be suprised at the number of calls my Son-in-law,owns a sewer and drain cleaning business, from rv'ers who are either up to there sneakers in the bathroom or the counter is getting wet in the galley. He tells them about the extra drain valve and even offers to wait while they check. They don't believe him and demand he comes out and rescues them. Do they get upset when he gets out of his truck, walks over and pulls the valvue and hands them a bill for a $38.50 service charge.
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote