Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2004, 02:57 PM   #1
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Black Tank Smells GONE!!

Can't believe that we are discussing this in public for the world to read but we are among friends--so here goes. In previous RV experiences we have used the blue and green tank additives at various times and with mixed and not neccesarily satisfactory results. In short--the gloop might have worked in the sanitizing department (how could we be sure anyway?) but it did not take care of the smell which at times was let's be honest pretty rank. We were forever having to think of safe ways to clean things out and make sure the black tank wasn't getting disgusting. And we worried about the safety of all that chemical stuff in the RV with us. On this last trip we tried some stuff which our dealer recommended to us as what they use when having to clean out RV's with "problems" before they are ready for resale. We were leery of this stuff--figured if it was a dealer's last resort it might be more than what we wanted to use. But when we read the label we were convinced to give it a try. Mind you, we are NOT dealers in this product nor do we have any interest in it except as users but thus far it has worked really well for us. It is called Pure Power Waste Digester for Boats and RV's. The label on the front says "Liquifies all waste and toilet paper; eliminates odors; cleans sensors & lubricates valves; no chemicals; no formaldehyde; dump station approved". So far it has totally lived up to its promises. It is apparently a natural bacterial enzyme action which does the work. You must clean your tank before using it to get rid of the residual chemicals which would kill the enzymes. Of course we wear our disposable latex gloves when using this product and when doing all our tank draining (but have been doing that for years). We also do a thorough clean out after each dump to assure that everything is hygienic. 2 oz will take care of a 40 gal tank and cost is $6.99 for 32 oz. Have used it since we started our road trip and it has been terrific. Would be interested in how it works for others who may try it. Any thoughts on this from other folks??? My proper Bostonian mother would be mortified to know that I have just spent all this time writing about @#$%. But then she never drained a full black tank!!

Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:24 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Thanks for the tip. It is always good to get a product recommendation from a satisfied user.

While there is nothing wrong with using a product to help digest waste and eliminate smell, I am also a firm believer that there should not be any smell getting into the trailer in the first place. If you are getting odours in the trailer, there is a good chance that it is getting sucked in from the tank vent pipes on the roof. Lift off the rain caps and check that the vent pipes are sealed where they protrude through the roof. Mine were not. Iterestingly, the current issue of RV View (from Camping World) describes this exact situation in the "Ask the RV Doctor" column. A Fantastic Fan may also suck in bad air through the bathroom vent which is very close to the black tank vent pipe.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:43 PM   #3
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Agree with you 100% OntMont! Never had a problem with the Montana and smells--and are determined not to ever have them again in any rig. But certainly suggest checking for needed physical fixes and fan involvement in the rig if this is an issue one is dealing with. In addition, the Pure Power makes dumping and tank cleaning easier as well since there are no longer solids to deal with. Good grief what a topic!
Old 08-25-2004, 03:22 AM   #4
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Bowie - Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to give it a try. If for no other reason, to search for the Holy Grail of RV holding tank management... OEM guages that work. I've gotta say that I have my doubts, but I'm going to try.
Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 04:55 PM   #5
Montana_1970
Established Member

M.O.C. #1970
Bowie--Thanks for all the info. Where can one find the product?

"search for the Holy Grail of RV holding tank management...OEM gauges that work."
Montana_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:06 AM   #6
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Where can You get it?

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:20 AM   #7
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Sorry I didn't include that for you. Where was my brain? Here's a website: www.opproducts.com This way you can find a dealer near you. You can also type in a search for Pure Power Waste and read more than you ever wannted about the product. Good luck
Old 08-28-2004, 03:05 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
My wife and I have found a product called "Snow Fresh" which has served us better than any other product on the market. We've tried them all! Snow Fresh is a granulated product that requires 1/4 cup per 30-40 gallons of black water tank. You can use any toilet paper. This product digests everything to a liquified form.

When I dump, I use a "clear" connector on my sewer output so that I can watch how the sewage comes out. I have never seen any chunks, toilet paper, etc.

The product is expensive. I buy it by the 15 lb pail from a place in North Carolina for $75.00. I bought it 2 years ago and it is still over half full! It can also be purchase by the 3 lb pail at a price of $25.00 making it quite expensive. But that's how we started using it.

We have no odor from the black water tank since using this product. I am not a distributor nor do I receive anything for testimonial.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote