Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Under Chassis Storage Units, Lippert

Has anyone installed one of these http://store.lci1.com/shared/StoreFr...2&CS=lci&All=? Sorry don't know how to do the short version. Seems like a great idea for us fulltimers and anyone looking for additional storage. My major concern is the weight involved.

Thanks for the help.

Phil

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
They don't look like they would weigh all that much themselves and its the contents you'd have to worry about (is there a limit?). Depending on the configuration you select would affect the weight. For example if you installed the dual storage with the spare tire version, this would allow one to lighten the weight at the pin since it could be positioned where the existing spare tire area is located behind the axles like on my Monty (and yours).

If you are under your GTWR and the axles are still carrying what they are rated for, then I don't see anything wrong. The problem with where they are mounted is that when the rig is set up, the extended slides might make it difficult to get things in and out. A little advanced planning should remedy that.

Trying to mount this unit anywhere could definitely have difficulty because under my rig I have valve handles, suspension brackets and propane lines. The best place for me would be at the spare tire. The installation could be tricky anywhere but certainly doable.

We'd like to see your setup at your next show-and-tell.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:02 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Art, Don't hold your breath. I will call Lippert and find out how much this thing weighs. You are right about gaining access to it once the slides (we have four and can't really visualize where it might fit, possibly up front) are out and locating it around things that hang down would be a trick in itself. Just thought it might be a good idea for folks that carry alot in their basement. At least tools and operating things could be placed in there. Of course, it would be a nightmare driving down the autopista and looking in your rear view and seeing these things sticking out. I suppose one would be able to lock them closed. A solution might be to cut the mounting hardware in half and just install a single drawer wherever you can. That might work now that I think about it, HMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!! A good spot would be right under the basement doors, on either side perhaps.........Two per side should do it........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
That looks pretty cool, wonder if there is any message about they are showing it on a triple axle rig.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Phil,

I have installed the under the chassis drawers. I placed the drawers just behind the spare tire. I did not install the spare tire carrier. Theframe for the drawers is wider than the Montana frame. I had to cut out approx. , if I recall correctly, about 6" and weld the frame back together. I have a drawer on each side. A friend cut the frame in half, added more framework to the chassis and mounted both drawers on the driver side near the front. He has a Select Suites. I carry wood for leveling etc.. nothing worth any money.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote