Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
disc brakes

hello
what do you think about changing to disc brakes? we have 12"x2' drum brakes.
we have an 07 md.#3295 5ver that we use full time. DW said it was keeper.
i have approx. 25k mi. on brakes and we could stop at axel inc. in elkhart to have the work done as we travel to the north west.
has anyone switched to disc? is it worth $2000.00?
thanks gene.

paddler67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Well, you should get a few opinions on this.
Mine is, I would like to have discs on mine but I am not going to pay that much to get em. I'll keep my drums maintained. They can lock up the wheels as is and I try to slow down with the tranny and engine when going down hills so I don't over heat them.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I part-time and still have a stickhouse so they are far down my list. But if I was full-timing, decided I was going to keep the rig for a while and I had $2,000, plus the brakes were due for some work, I would definitely not waste any money or effort on the drums and get the disc brakes. Especially heading to the Northwest, myself and others have had trailer faults when my RV drum brakes get wet. Disc brakes have not reported this problem.

This is one way to improve stopping power and $2,000 is a small price to pay. Others who have done this might even post about what it cost for their upgrades.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:30 AM   #4
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
What TV do you have, because from what I hear disk breaks do not work with the Ford Tow Command system.

Art, I live in the Northwest and our friends also have a Ford with the Tow Command system and neither of us have had issues towing in the rain and trailer fault indications.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I read an article in Trailer Life a few years back. They added disk brakes, the hydro/electric interface and the hydrolic lines. They clamed the Disk brakes on the trailer allowed the whole unit to stop about 20 feet farther than just the tow vehicle by it self.

Along those lines. There were comments about people having to stop fast and breaking springs or spring brackets. So you might want to consider upgrading the spring brackets as well as the axles if you do go with disks.

If you plan on keeping it, I would say go for it. Of course I have the same unit and have not done it yet.

Yes as stated you need to verify your brake controler will work with the Hydro/electric brakes.

Good luck, let us know what you do.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
thanks for the questons that you bring up. i'm waiting for a reply from axel inc. to answer question about the tow comand.
i tow with 05 f-350 psd auto 4x4 lb drw. i set the brake control on 9.5 most of the time. there is no way i can lock the wheels up using the truck brakes. when i do a brake check at low speed with the manual control i can lock the wheels up. ford check the brake controler and said it was ok.
will post the answer i get
thanks.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
stacy at axle inc. said you do need an adapter with when you are coverting to disc brakes. she said the 3 big brand trucks need an adapter because the tow command was constandly sending signals back to the trailer and if you have disc brakes you only want the signal going back when you apply the brakes.
don't know the cost yet.
gene.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Fire5er, I only posted my experience because when I have posted my "trailer fault" problem in the forum looking for ideas, rain and brakes was mentioned by a couple of posters. Admittedly, since I have not the experienced the issue since I don't know if rain was the actual cause. However, problems aside it has been shown disc brakes work in the rain better than drums and this should be the realized benefit.

I just recently read somewhere else that the Ford Tow Command will have difficulty with disc brakes but now I need to find the article so I can post it. It may have had to do with using a hydraulic disc brake system. I assumed electric disc brakes probably wouldn't have the problem. I thought it explained how to fix this (getting to Ford and getting the TC reprogrammed or using an adapter) but I just don't remember enough. Darn this CRS disease. I am looking for the article.

Hopefully paddler gets his answer from the vendor prior to installation. Make sure that whatever the fix is that you can still tow and brake with other trailers, as well just in case you use your TV with other trailers.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
I installed disk brakes at the same time I had the Mor-ryde Independent suspension installed. Best upgrade I've ever had. Definitely would do it again.
rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
$56.00 is the cost for the adapter. so my total cost should be under 2100.00.
things i have added to the 5ver.
generator 5.5 kw. which is much more that i need.
wet bolts
trailair hitch with glide.
vent covers
relocated front jack switch to the outside.
added large h2o filter.
gene
Old 06-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Paddler, You might want to contact MorRyde in Elkhart, They siwtched my suspension to the IS and added Kodiak Disc Brakes. My IBC in the '08 Chevy one ton dually would not sync with the disc controller. A microvoltage problem. We installed a Prodigy and all is fine. As a fulltimer, you might want to consider the MorRyde independent Suspension as an alternative to the Lippert mess they put on....Just a suggestion as it is a costly affair......MorRyde also does disc brakes alone..... Maybe a quote from them might help..... Good Luck
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #12
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
the 07 md. 3295 has mor/ryde on the side of the wheel skirt.
axle inc. said ford,chevy and dodge needed an adapter if the truck had a built in brake controler.
will call mor/ryde tomorrow for priceing.
i was told that the brakes were kodiac and the elec/hydraulic was titan brakerite system.
thanks for the feed back.
i'm glad we have a forum to use.
leaving va. next wk.
gene
Old 06-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
Since you are fulltimers and have a relatively new unit the investment in disc brakes would be worthwhile. We had drum brakes on our previous Monty and never felt like they did as much as one would like especially in downhill braking situations. We have the electric/hydraulic disc brakes on our SOB and feel they are much better equipment. We use the P3 controller from Tekonsha which is designed for hydraulic systems. Would recommend you use it instead of the onboard controller in the Fords. Best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:09 AM   #14
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
thanks to all who ask questions.
there is no issue towing any other trailer because the adapter goes on the brakerite. she said the adapter was called a ford chevy adapter.

called mor/ryde and they were $2600.00 installed so i willl stay with axle inc.
hot and humid in va.
gene
Old 07-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
had the disc brakes installed in elkhart and i'm a happy camper.
i kept the tbc set on 9 or 10 and now with the disc brakes i set the tbc on 5 and have great stopping power.
presently in lewiston.id.
gene
Old 07-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #16
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
i forgot something important.
the mechanic didn't use an adapter instead he use one of the magnets from the drum brakes to replace the adapter.
gene