Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2009, 03:11 AM   #1
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Motorized Power Cord Reel

Does anyone here have one of these, and if so, how well does it work, especially in cold weather?

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....OD&ProdID=2189

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:52 AM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Tom, we had one on a Landmark and it worked very well for the short time we had the Landmark, (Sleep in the LM 8 nights). However we could have gotten it as a option on our 2010, we decided not, biggest reason was what happens when it doesn't work. As you probable know its hard wired, so what would you do with 30' of 50 amp cable that couldn't rewind???? It did seem to have a lot of rewind power. And it was neat to just push a button and the thing would rewind very fast. The time frame was April in Tennessee and it wasn't cold so it worked very well.

Well Tom as they say should have looked closer, that one is detachable, we had the rewind system built in and you couldn't remove the cord. So I guess I would have to research this one a little more..... GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Looks pretty cool. I have seen the ones Heartland is mounting in their units and thought it was a great idea. I sure do hate that big Anaconda 50amp cord and it's almost impossible to handle when it's cold! Would be nice to hear form someone with first hand experience with this model as it looks like a good alternative to one that's permanantly mounted and the cord hard wired.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
It sure looks nice but iam just wondering about the big 50 amp rolling up so small on that wheel ? i put my cord in a laundry basket so it has some big loops........
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mcgiver2

It sure looks nice but iam just wondering about the big 50 amp rolling up so small on that wheel ? i put my cord in a laundry basket so it has some big loops........

I had the same thoughts....think the basket is easier than wrestling that thing. I can see someone's arm wrapped up to the shoulder. I've dealt with a few of those (quite a bit larger) on electric gantry cranes at the power plant. Think I'll pass.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I used that basket for about two years before it came to me that it was a waste of time and took up lots of extra space. Now I just roll the cord up (as best as possible if cold) and put in the front storage area...where it lays out flat, leaving room to put things on top of it.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have one in the motorhome and it works great with the 50 amp cord even in colder weather. When I had the Montana I left the 50 amp cord at home in the laundry basket and used a 30 amp cord for all our needs, we only had 1 A/C so we did not need the 50 amp cord.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
The bad thing is if you do NOT run out all the cord the cord wraped in a tite rool will generate heat and pass less elect to the unit .. the biggest thing is get the cord out on the ground and let it breath so to speak ,, lets ask all the elect people ,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sailer

The bad thing is if you do NOT run out all the cord the cord wraped in a tite rool will generate heat and pass less elect to the unit .. the biggest thing is get the cord out on the ground and let it breath so to speak ,, lets ask all the elect people ,,,sailer
You have to roll the whole thing out on the reel I posted because it is not hard wired to the trailer, it's only for storage purposes.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:48 AM   #10
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
If the cord was rolled up partway while plugged in there wouldn't be any ill effects to the power. The old electro magnets we used to build as kids would build up heat but the wire we used was a single small wire wound tightly in small loops hooked to a battery. You can buy cord reels for your garage and they don't need to be unwound all the way. You're dealing with a different type of electricity.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:50 AM   #11
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

If the cord was rolled up partway while plugged in there wouldn't be any ill effects to the power. The old electro magnets we used to build as kids would build up heat but the wire we used was a single small wire wound tightly in small loops hooked to a battery. You can buy cord reels for your garage and they don't need to be unwound all the way. You're dealing with a different type of electricity.
Jim, you certainly have a lot more experience in this area then I do but I melted a 14 gauge extension cord that was rolled up on an enclosed cord storage device. (Kind of like a donut shaped device) I know the conductors were not as well insulated as our 50 amp anacondas but I wasn't putting near the amps through the cord that our 5'ers pull. Help me understand! Thanks, Jim C.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:33 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
A 14 gauge cord is only designed to handle 15 amps, so exceeding that would cause the cord to melt. If the cord is long, say 100 foot, that adds resistance to the cord which effectively reduces its conductivity and creates more heat. You are correct in believing a cord exposed to open air will stay cooler through heat dissipation, but in your example, I'd still be willing to bet the cord was at or above 15 amps draw.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:09 AM   #13
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I agree with Tom. I tend to believe that it had more to do with the length of the cord building up heat and then being coiled retaining the heat. The longer the cord, the more voltage drop you would have, coiled or not. Less voltage equals more amperage so the cord would have less capacity to run things. I hope we've helped.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote