Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2008, 03:57 AM   #1
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
dually inside tires

How are you checking and inflating your inside tires?

greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:27 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I use extensions on the valve stems, also have the pressure pro system on ALL tires. Tells me the pressure at the press of a button. The system also alerts me to a low pressure or no pressure situation.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:38 AM   #3
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Phil has good answers, to complete them, use an extended, double headed, angled air chuck which is available at any parts house or hardware store/counter. Some even have built in pressure guages so you only have to contort yourself once per side. A hint I read on this forum one time (I used it and it worked well) is to have the valve stems mis-aligned with each other. They will sometimes interfere with airing/checking if they are located together. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
you can find a Campbell/Hausfeld extended double headed TP guage at Wal Mart.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
ggranch has the answer,plus pressure-pro will tell you if you have to check tires.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Valve stems should be 180 degrees opposite each other. You will also probably find as you travel that the move around. You'll have to ask the people in the know why that happens.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Valve stems should be 180 degrees opposite each other. You will also probably find as you travel that the move around. You'll have to ask the people in the know why that happens.
How do you do this when the wheel has 5 holes?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Try as close to 180 as possible. Manual for 2005 F350 says 180. Other brands may be different. A check with the dealer should reveal the what and how and why.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:Valve stems should be 180 degrees opposite each other. You will also probably find as you travel that the move around. You'll have to ask the people in the know why that happens.
The only way the valve stems can move, is by removing a wheel and tire assembly ( such as getting a flat repaired ) and putting it back on in a defferent location in relation to the other wheel. Reliable tire shops pay attention when repairing or installing tires on duallies to make sure both stems are accessible. Yes, valve stem extensions are required on some wheels to be operator friendly.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Lonnie,
Is it possible for a wheel to slip on the hub? I had my F350 wheels spaced 180 and when we got back from our NE trip the were not 180 anymore. Hmmm????

Edited: Am I the only one who ever saw this happen?
Old 10-20-2008, 03:54 PM   #11
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Wayne
I have seen tires slip on the wheel under very high torque situations on earth moving equipment, and agricultural tractors. I have never seen it happen on a truck, but I suppose if conditions were right it could happen. However, even if the tire slipped on the wheel, it would not reposition the valve stem in relation to the wheel next to it. The valve stem is in a fixed location on the wheel, in a hole that cannot move. The wheel is mounted to the hub via several holes through which the threaded studs of the hub pass. It is physically impossible for the wheel to slip on the hub, as it would have to shear every stud in order to turn, in which case both wheels would fall off the vehicle.
Please don't take this answer as me being a smart aleck, as it is not my intention to be. I am just trying to give the fullest explanation I can.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Lonnie is 100% correct. There is absolutely no way a wheel can move without shearing the lugs. When that happens the wheel(s) fall off and yes they are no longer 180°

So to answer your question Wayne
Quote:
quote:Am I the only one who ever saw this happen?
Well I have never seen it happen and I seriously doubt anyone else has either. My first years in the tire business I did truck tire service on the big rigs and not once did I ever see this or anything even close to it.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #13
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
I bought dually valves and had them installed on my RAM.
Here is one dealer you might look at.
http://www.borgtiresupply.com/index-dv.htm
Works great, easy to install the pressure-pro.
Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, I'll never be able to prove it because I got rid of the F350, but I will swear that I watched Discount Tire fix my dually's because the valve stems were equal to each other. They removed the tires and put them back 180 opposite. When I came back from 6400 miles they were no longer 180. The back had shifted about 4 to 6 inches.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
And that's the way it should be Wayne. Stick to your story and don't allow anyone to convince you otherwise.
Even if it is an impossibility that, short of shearing ALL 5, 6 or 8 lugs, once a tire and wheel assembly, dually or not, are attached to the 5, 6 or 8 lugs of a vehicle and all lug nuts are tight they cannot move from that position.

And as you said That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:22 AM   #16
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Might be a regional thing but all of the tire dealers I've been to locally (Sears (guess I'll put them as tire dealer??); Goodyear (two stores), Firestone, Dodge Dealer and Ford Dealer) have always put the rear duals with the valve stems lined up together. This has been over a period of 15 plus years of having a dually of various brands.

Now, that said, I had a slow leak a couple of years ago on my Dodge and the Alququerque Sears store (quickest in and out that morning) did put them 180 (or close to that) apart. Noticed when I had the tires rotated at the Dodge dealer several months later that they put them back in the same (i.e. 0 degrees apart) location. Can't say that I know why, and have never had any problem with wear or such because of them that way; as I said, maybe a regional thing. Figure as long as you can find them to check the air pressure, that is what counts!!!

I have stayed away from the longer valve stems and extensions -- I have seen road debris knocked up into the tires and damaged longer valve stems. That could possibly happen with the shorter stems as well but can't say that I've ever actually seen it while I have the longer ones.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #17
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I also always had my valve stem lined up together so I could check my pressures and make any adjustments,it seemed easer with the valve stems together.Now I have the pressure-pro system and it seems it would have a lot of weight on one side of the tires if the stems were together,so I put them 180 degrees now.Whether this makes a difference or not I don't know but I know it doesn't hurt.To move the outside dually I break the bolts loose,drive over a 2x6 on the inside dually and that takes the outside dually off the ground,remove the tire,rotate it snug the bolts ,drive off the 2x6 and torque the bolts.No need to even take the jack out to do a 15 minute job.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:09 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I noted the stems lined up on our first Ford Dually. Why would Ford do that..I thought...another idea from the "office of diabolical engineering" Every organization has one.A bunch of engineers with nothing better to do sit around and figure out ways to thwart repair and maint of any product. We had a lot of them in The Governmnent. We switched the stems 180 in the first dually and had the dealer switch them in the 08.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:22 AM   #19
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
My GM Trucks always came with the valve stems 180 off don't know why any dual wheel Trucks would come with them in line. I also run steel valve stems because the GM wheel cover will not let the Pressure Pro be mounted on the front tires. I will not run without the PPS. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:56 AM   #20
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I have a question- How do you remove the valve dust cap from the inside dual in order to use an extended pressure guage to check and adjust the tire pressure? I guess that's why I use the stainless steel braided valve extenders on our dually- Just my humble opinion- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote