Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Transmission Shutter??

A little background information - I have a 1999 Dodge, 2500, Cummins 24 valve Diesel with the automatic transmission. I currently have about 136,00 miles on the truck.

Lately, only while pulling our Montana 2980RL 5'er, when the transmission shifts under load of acceleration it gives the truck a rather strong shutter. If I lift off on the throttle some it stops immediately.

Question: Am I looking at a potential transmission issue here?

I have used AMSOIL Transmission Fluid for about the last 80,000 miles and change the fluid regularly.

Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated!

PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I would find an AMMCO Transmission shop and tell them what is going on. They will take your truck for a spim and let you know what is going on. I do not think this is a back yard fix. I am no expert, but the worse case it could be a weak torqe converter. I noticed you changed to Amsoil tranny fluid. You know that these older Dodge trannys were real tempermental to the wrong tranny fluids. Was that Amsoil a recomended oil type change?
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

PackerFan...I would take it to a Dodge dealer only.Ask the service writer to call their best diesel truck trans man to the desk and explain to him the symptoms.Ask him to drive it and give his opinion.Sounds like the shift has become "lazy"...could be nothing more than a filter.Discuss the fluid type.

The Dodge transmissions are built to withstand heavy work loads...I don't know of anyone who has experienced failures even with 200,000 plus miles with normal servicing.
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
sedwheathome
Established Member

M.O.C. #6730
Packerfan,
I agree with 2 sinks. If the transmission filter has not been changed when servicing the transmission, it could be that simple. Also, make sure the Amsoil meets the recommended specifications called for by Dodge. All auto manufacturers have specific fluid recommendations today. I don't know that there is one fluid that meets all specifications of every auto manufacturer for transmission fluid. One other thing to check is the Throttle Position sensor. I have a 2001 Dodge with auto trans. When it would act up, it will make you think there might be a transmission issue. Mine was simply adjusted at the time, most have to be replaced if this is the problem.

Good luck!
sedwheathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
PackerFan, I think you are looking at getting a torque converter at the least. Check out this site. http://www.dieselram.com It is a free site and there are a lot of knowlegable people on it. You might also check on the site in my sig.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:40 AM   #6
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

Clutch...You're right,Amen on the diesel ram forum!!!

PackerFan- The man you want to consult with is Tim H.He is the man for Dodge transmission issues.I believe he is a moderator on the diesel ram forum.
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
When I switched to the AMSOIL Trans Fluid I contacted AMSOIL and Dodge and they both stated that the fluid was ok to use.

Clutch: I used to be a member of the Turbo Diesel Register for many years and talked with a few of the guy in the NW Bombers group when I lived in Oregon. Good bunch of guys there. I will check out that other site you mentioned.

Thanks for the imput everyone. I was thinking it might be the Torgue Converter also. Anyone have any ideas what they cost to replace?
Old 10-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
PackerFan, the last time I checked a good towing torque converter was around $1,100. That was just for the converter and any tranny work is extra. Sign up for Dieselram and send a pm to Tim Holt.

I have been planning on getting a new TC and a rebuild for my truck, it is getting close to 100k. I was wanting a new truck but with the price of diesel I will just get the tranny done and put in some bigger injectors.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here is something to check, if your truck is not level, front to back, it will cause the drive train to also be not in-line, obviously. When hooked up to your Monte, you might check this out.
I know for a fact this will cause shutter.
Good luck on this.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
U-Joints!! May not be noisy but if they are dry and breaking down they will cause a very definite shutter in the drive line. Hopefully something so simple (if anything is really simple on these things any more) -- and a whole lot less expensive.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #11
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Ozz: The truck is level when I have the Monty hooked up because I have Air Bags under the rear end and I always make sure it is level. Thanks for the tip though!

Skypilot: I hadn't thought of the U-Joints but you are right. I will have them checked out too. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #12
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Back in '04 we had an '01 Dodge Cummins that developed a chatter on shifting on the way to FL. Stopped at Homossassa Springs and had a billeted torque converter put in for $900. Cured the problem. I was told there is a clutch inside the TC that goes bad. I imagine it was my fault 'cause I had chipped the engine and installed a turbo back 4" exhaust and it was kinda fun to scorch hot shot Chevys & Fords. That '01 had about the same HP/torque as my '05 has.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #13
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
The more power we think we need the more we have to spend to keep things working.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:48 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I was going to suggest u-joints, also. It might be transmission but it's cheaper and easier to check u-joints first, especially if they don't have a grease zerk or have not been greased.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote