Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2008, 02:29 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
TV hooked to trailer when idle for a week

How do you stage your TV and trailer when you are going out on weekends back to back.
Do you leave the TV hooked to the trailer and ready to go?
Do you remain hooked but drop the front landing gears?
Do you unhook?
What do you do and of course why?
Thanks,

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Always unhook, reasons are very simple. My driveway is not long enough, and when the rig is in mini-storage it is by itself again. I don't know why you couldn't leave it hooked up and ready to roll though, sounds like a time-saver to me, and I always appreciate anything that reduces work and saves time.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:47 AM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
As Bingo says when parked where length is issue, unhook so truck doesn't sit in traffic.

When length is not an issue, in a near level location, then I leave connected with landing gear down.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:59 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We have the room at the stick built to leave connected. We back in, connect power, put down landing legs, put out slides, repack, take out stuff, put in stuff, etc etc etc.

When we run day after day, like long distance, we try to stay hooked up, have done so for 8 days while running to Texas. Saves time (nice way to say, we can be lazy! )
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:10 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the room at home to stay hooked on short turn arounds. Don't need the truck so that is not a problem. We are level side to side and almost level front to back when hitched.We just do it because it is easier..why unhook ot hook if you do not have to. We do not drop the front landing gear and we do have full hook ups and 50 amps at the house.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:09 AM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
John, when we go out for at least two nights, we always unhook the Montana, but not on overnighters. Overnight, we just level out and put the landing gear down, take the weight off the truck. Any length of time in one place, the truck is not hooked up so it can be used as transportation or a truck if needed.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I don't have the room to stay hooked up in my driveway as the TV is half way out to the street. But on short one nighters, I'll stay hooked up. I lower the landing gear and take the pressure off of the TV.

Once, I noticed that after unhooking and using the sight bubble to mark where I have to raise lower to that I had to raise the Hanna to get the king pin to slide in easily. I don't bump, but back in at the same level. I had to raise the hanna because after having the weight relieved, the springs gave it about 1/2 inche more height after resting.

So I'm thinking it is better to relieve the weight off of the TV, even if overnight. So that's why I do what I do.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I don't have the room to stay hooked up in my driveway as the TV is half way out to the street. But on short one nighters, I'll stay hooked up. I lower the landing gear and take the pressure off of the TV.

Once, I noticed that after unhooking and using the sight bubble to mark where I have to raise lower to that I had to raise the Hanna to get the king pin to slide in easily. I don't bump, but back in at the same level. I had to raise the hanna because after having the weight relieved, the springs gave it about 1/2 inche more height after resting.

So I'm thinking it is better to relieve the weight off of the TV, even if overnight. So that's why I do what I do.

Wayne,
You hit the reason I asked the question. We have had three weekend trips in a row and I have the ability to park fully hooked throughout the week. My son tells me he thinks it will weaken the truck rear springs by leaving it hooked up during the week without taking the pressure off.
Thanks for the reply.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Humm. I will have to keep a eye open for that. I have never noticed that. I figured if the rear springs can take the weight of the 3400 bouncing down the road for hundreds of miles sitting in the driveway at rest would be far less stressful. Next time I leave it hooked up I will take some measurements a few days apart.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
It would seem it would weaken the springs, but I wonder how long that would actually take. I set the jacks and lift the weight off the truck when stored for any length of time, just because its' easy to do.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
John,

Please share with us what you find. I usually do like Brad. Put down the landing legs just enough to take the load off the truck.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:57 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Its never a good idea to leave weight on the Truck if its not nessesary. Todays trailers are so easy to hook and unhook. I had a Chevy 4500 which had air ride suspension and could lower the rear of the Truck 6 inches so I had the ability of leveling the 5er at most stops. However if I was staying overnight I would unhook. If your not going to unhook lower the landing gear and take some weight off the Truck. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:07 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would put the gear down if we left it hitched for a long period of time or if we need to bring it up for a bit of a level. I did not consider 5 days a long period of time but I will do some checking.. You never know..The things that come to light here are amazing.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:17 AM   #14
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Just another point, if you do have a Truck with air ride rear suspension and lower the landing gear you should unhook in case the air leaked down. If it did you would have a lot of weight hanging on the king pin. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Rich,
I think bouncing down the road is less detrimental to stressing the springs than a constant load, of what, 2500, 3000, 3500 pounds, or more? I have seen loads that flatten the springs out. That cannot be good for them. They "are" designed to take s certain amount of weight, but what is the stressing point? If the are flat, is that to much.

I'm not an engineer, just still attending the SOHK (School Of Hard Knocks)

Edited: What about other stress points, and the possibility of flat spot on tires? After a period of time it would be like riding on a 1 sided block.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #16
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Like many others, we stay connected during overnight stops or for a few days if the truck is not needed. If we stay connected for more than a night, I use the landing gear to take some the the weight off and disconnect the power to keep the electric isolated between the truck and Monty. I don't think the suspension would be an issue over time but take the weight off considering the extra load on the tires while sitting for multiple days.

TC
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #17
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Even if I stay hooked up over night, I lower the landing gear and relieve the pressure on the truck. This may take about 5 or 6 minutes. Not a big deal to do.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #18
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
On my diesel dually I have more weight on the front tires all the time then I have on the rears when hooked up. Have to divide the rear weight by 4.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:46 AM   #19
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Well let me give my 2cents worth. I wouldn't hesitate to leave it hooked up over night. When traveling down the road it can be hooked up for hours on end anyway. As previously mentioned, I would relive some of the stress by dropping the landing gears overnight.

However, OTOH the fifth wheel has been the easiest rigging by far to un-hook and then hook back up. I've owned several trailers and one M/H with a dingy and believe me it isn't a problem to un-hook if desired.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:38 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ok,OK..Since none of us are qualified stress engineers we really do not know, for sure, the effect of leaving the camper hooked up. The OP indicated weekend to weekend or 5 days. I did not think that was a long period of time. However there have been many good and logical points brought up here and questions provoke thought. Since I do not know for sure and it is such a easy task to drop the landing gear to releive stress from the rear truck springs.We will now do that. The things you can learn here..