Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2008, 03:36 AM   #1
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
MPG for SRW vs DRW

What is the MPG difference between a SRW and DRW truck. It would seem that a DRW truck would get less MPG from the additional drag of the extra tires. I realize that the difference is probably small, but with the price of fuel, I want to get the most I can.

nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:48 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Agree with you. Comparing the same rear, engine and driving habits the MPG would be close. The edge would go to the SRW considering the DRW is heavier and has more rubber on the road. How much more????
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #3
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
DRW - a pain to park sometimes. More stability on the road, better load capacity and the difference in MPG is so small that I don't think it would be worth the trouble. Get the one you want and feel more comfortable with. I have a DRW and most of my friends have SRW, I still like them and travel with them and I am happy with my truck. CAUSE I LOVE MY TRUCK.. I seeyou have a Ford Don, I would suggest you talk to OZZ and RichFaa who have the new fords and talk to a few who have the CUMMINS Diesel, If your worried about MPG. I think the CUMMINS would win out, dispite the fact that the Fords and GMC trucks are prettier. The engine's are what is to going to give you the big difference in MPG not the SRW DRW.
This is wisdom taught by YODA. a 6 cylinder is less likely to use as much fuel as a 8 cylinder. Safe Travels John OH< Hope to see you in BRANSON IN 2009
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It would make some sense that the same truck SWD would get a bit better MPG same as 4X4 Vs 4X2. I think the difference would be hard to calculate due to the many variables. We do have the 08 6.4L and we are happy with the performance.. However..If MPG was the "determining" factor in what truck to purchase at todays fuel prices. I would have to go with the Cummins.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:14 AM   #5
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I am not trying to start a "which is best brand" but Dodge does offer 3.75 gears in a DWR and Ford is 4.10. Again, probably not much difference in MPG, but it all add up.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
In GM diesels, the drive train is the same for all models, there are no options. The SRW probably gets a little better mileage since it is a little lighter. If you are looking for a new Ford TV for the 3465, you might want to check the thread entitiled "F250 PSD." The cargo capacity was under 1,900#.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Tom, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't GM offer different axle ratios as does the other two? I believe they start with the 3.73 and go all the way down to 4.56? Like I said, I could be wrong, I'm wrong a lot!!!!!!!!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
1900# cargo capacity for a F250 seems low. Our 2006 F250 has a cargo capacity of 2465# which is marginal for the 3465. When I get another truck, it will be a 350 or 3500, just not sure if will be a DWR
Old 06-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Here is a link to the 2008 Ford Super Duty site showing the payload capacities by model.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/s...eatures/specs/
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Emmel, I just did a quick check and GM only offers the 3.73 on the diesel, and the 3.73 and 4.10 on the Vortex.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:52 AM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Emmel...there are no options for GM diesels...they are all 3.73...don't know about the gassers.

Nailbender...1900# does seem low, but it came right off the Tire and Loading information sticker.

ehmcfarl...that link is like GM's, totally worthless. Ford (like GM) best cases all the 'capacity' charts, they use a stripped down vehicle, usually with a gas engine, so it shows their truck in the best light, but not necessarily the way they would be used.

As noted above, the only way to find the true cargo capacity is off the Tire and Loading Information sticker on the left rear door post. The feds made it a law for all vehicles starting with the 05 model year.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My sticker reads "the combined weight of Occupants and cargo should not exceed 4268 Lbs. I would assume that includes..Self, Helen, Bird, Fuel, Hitch, stuff in back of truck, Pin weight,full cup of Coffee and Helens water jug, gps, pressure pro monitor, back up cam monitor cb, lt, pens pencils, sun glasses, bag of chips, Can't get near 4268lbs....Is that sticker right???
Old 06-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

My sticker reads "the combined weight of Occupants and cargo should not exceed 4268 Lbs. I would assume that includes..Self, Helen, Bird, Fuel, Hitch, stuff in back of truck, Pin weight,full cup of Coffee and Helens water jug, gps, pressure pro monitor, back up cam monitor cb, lt, pens pencils, sun glasses, bag of chips, Can't get near 4268lbs....Is that sticker right???
The truck weighed 8710 a couple of days out of the dealership..Full fuel, nothing else. Add 4268=12978..the numbers do not compute..

I am still working on this..Here is another way to look at the numbers.. The last time I weighed the truck right before we left for Flordia in Nov 0f 07 it weighed 9212lbs loaded with everything ready for the Florida trip(including me) but Helen. so the 9212-8710= 502lbs 4268-502= 3766 - Helen sayyyy 130lbs..that leaves me over 3600lb for pin weight???
Old 06-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #14
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Rich....you would need that 3600# available capacity if you were towing an SOB like a Mobil Suites. My 05 3400 was weighed by RVSEF at the 2006 Good Sam RV Rally in Daytona and the Pin weight was 2,925#. That was under extreme conditions with full water tanks, full black and gray water tanks and gear for a 3 month extended stay in Fl. My friend pulling a Mobile Suite had almost a 4,000# pin weight.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #15
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
The T & L Info sticker indicates the cargo capacity of the vehicle when it left the factory. My CC from the factory was reduced from what would be the normal CC because I have factory running boards...and further reduced after I bought it and put in a Rhino liner, mud flaps, tonneau cover, CB and accessories, bigger fuel tank, added fuel, tinted windows, extra floor mats and probably some other things I have forgotten.

The cargo capacity off the sticker, minus the GVWR should equal the empty weight.

I just looked at the Ford site noted above...it's worse than GM's site. For the SD trucks, all the numbers that should read GCWR read GVWR.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Everything on the truck came from the factory, execpt the hitch. I did forget about the bed liner, and tonneau cover but we removed the OEM tailgate for the lighter V tailgate. I can't find the weight slip from the last time we weighed the entire rig and figured the pin weigh but it was nowhere near 2925lbs.This thing does have the Camper package and the snow plow package which puts the rear axle at 9K and the front at 6k. I am not concerned about the weight but am curious at how the Manufacturers figure these things. It could be very missleading to the consumer.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #17
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
It's my understanding they put the cargo information on a sticker so it would NOT be confusing to us and we would know exactly what we had for cargo capacity. As another number check, look at the camper sticker in the glove box. That cargo capacity weight, plus 150 lbs for every seat in the truck should equal the cargo capacity as noted on the Tire and Information Loading sticker.

If you have buckets up front and a bench in the rear, a total of five seats, 150 x 5 equals 750. Your cargo capacity of 4268 - 750 equals 3518, which should be the capacity on the glove box sticker.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:17 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That was also our understanding but we read so many different and conflicting things.....There is no sticker of any kind in the glove box?????

I am "Assuming" that the CC of my truck is 4268 as it left the factory OEM ???

Maybe not...When I go into the "build your own truck"section of Ford and build mine right off the sticker adding the camper and snow plow package it comes up with a CC of 4830lbs that would be 562lbs more that the sticker on the door?? See what I mean??? what to beleive???
Old 06-24-2008, 08:17 AM   #19
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I just went out and looked at the sticker in my glove box...it is very hard to see, I needed a flashlight. It's located on the bottom of the door and is called "Truck Camper Loading Information."

IMHO, the web sites, build your own truck, etc, are not reliable...they always come up with a number that make Ford/Chevy/Dodge look good, meaning more cargo capacity or towing capacity than there really is.

Since the Tire and Loading Information sticker is for the particular truck it is on, that's the information I believe is correct.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:03 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is no sticker in the 08 Ford glovebox but I did find the campers specification label. We are well within all specs but a neighbor was building himself a truck and came up with that 4830 number. They sure make it hard for a person to understand. It is no wonder that folks will choose the improper truck for the pin weight have. Thanks for the help....