Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2008, 01:34 AM   #1
mustang92
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6132
Tire Pressure Confusion

I've always inflated my rv tires to max pressure as per rating on sidewall, for example 80psi on my old Missions that Tireco is replacing with Freestars. The Freestars are also rated at 80psi. I've been told by rving friends and an rv dealer that 80psi is too much, that I should carry 65-70psi. Any suggestions?

mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:25 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I always try and keep them inflated to what the maximum is. I think it will do a better job because you have less road resistance and you may even get a little better gas mileage. It just seems to handle better for me.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:13 AM   #3
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
80 PSI.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:08 AM   #4
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Less pressure equals less load capacity and tire heating. Under inflated invites premature tire failure and less efficiency.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:18 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The theory is that the lower pressure creates higher heat due to the greater flexing o the sidewall. I guess you could test it by driving at both pressures and measuring the temperature of your tires. Radio Shack has an inexpensive infrared thermometer. to do the job.

On my G614s, I set the cold pressure at 105 psi rather than 110. The tire heats quickly according to Pressure Pro monitor, and the running pressure becomes 115 psi. On a moderate day, the tire temperature seems to be around 100 degrees. I have not had a chance to measure it on a hot day. I am not sure what any of this means.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:08 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Air pressure is based on the load being carried by the tire.

For example....

LT 235/85R-16 E range-
LOAD
2505# = 50psi
2623# = 65psi
2765# = 70psi
2905# = 75psi
3042# = 80psi

In order to arrive at the correct air pressure you should weigh each tire while under load or to simplify weigh the left side front and rear tires under load together and divide the weight by 2
If the front and rear weight is 6000 # total, divided by 2 = 3000 # each tire. The inflation for those 2 tires would be 80 psi.
When weighing, the rig must be attached to the TV and all weight taken off the jacks.

An under inflated tire will roll harder causing more flex which will cause heat build up. Also an under inflated tire will wear faster on both shoulders.

An over inflated tire will absolutely roll easier BUT your tread contact with the road will only be on the center of the tread and will cause the center of the tire to wear faster.

Both over and under inflation will cause premature tire wear. A properly inflated 50,000 mile tire quite possibly wouldn't get over 30,000 miles or even less.

The best tire wear will be at the proper inflation or no more than an additional 5 to 10 #. Never less. It should also go without saying that both alignment and balance are also VERY important factors.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:29 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Let me start by saying I have a set of Missions on a 30' inclosed car trailer and a set of Freestars on a 30' Gooseneck flat bed equipment hauler. I don't put a lot of miles on either trailer just run around locally. I have no proof of this but I think the Freestars are the same as the Missions and have been told by out Tire service that the Freestars are having problems also. I wouldn't run Freestars or Missions on our 5th wheel. I have ran Goodyear G614's on our 5th wheels and haven't had any problems. I hope you have a Pressure Pro monitoring system if not I highly recomend you get one. I will also say I keep all tires at the pressure on the tire side wall. Good Luck. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:56 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Generally speaking, most of us are loaded to the max (or over if you're full time) therefore I would recommend the maximum pressure specified by the tire manufacturer. I do that and get extremely good and even tread wear.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Generally speaking, most of us are loaded to the max (or over if you're full time) therefore I would recommend the maximum pressure specified by the tire manufacturer. I do that and get extremely good and even tread wear.

Orv
Orv, I take exception to your "most of us are loaded to the max (or over if you're full time)".
Just being a full timer does not automatically make you overloaded as I now know I am not. Sorry but I resent being into such a classification just because I full time and I am sure there are other full timers that feel the same way.

Now before the "weight police" jump in here I must explain that I will not respond to any of the "weight police" replies. You may waste your time responding but I refuse to waste my time reading muchless arguing with anyone that has no idea of what my rig weighs.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Quote:

Orv
Orv, I take exception to your "most of us are loaded to the max (or over if you're full time)".
Just being a full timer does not automatically make you overloaded as I now know I am not. Sorry but I resent being into such a classification just because I full time and I am sure there are other full timers that feel the same way.

Now before the "weight police" jump in here I must explain that I will not respond to any of the "weight police" replies. You may waste your time responding but I refuse to waste my time reading muchless arguing with anyone that has no idea of what my rig weighs.
Well, well. I didn't mean to demean anyone. You seemed to take offense. It's hard to post anything when there is always someone who takes offense. My post was my experience and I wasn't being weight police. I hate that and now I resent the fact that I can't get my rig down to the point where I am not overloaded and you can. I think it's time for everyone to back off and not take things so personal.

Orv
Old 05-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I don't have prove but I will have to agree with Orv that most fulltimers are overweight. The only way to be sure is weight EACH wheel.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #12
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Speaking of WP...I'm not one, I don't think, but bigmurf...are you really using a Ram 1500 as a TV??
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #13
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by billhoover

Speaking of WP...I'm not one, I don't think, but bigmurf...are you really using a Ram 1500 as a TV??
I got air bags and a chip.g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:49 AM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:

Well, well. I didn't mean to demean anyone. You seemed to take offense. It's hard to post anything when there is always someone who takes offense. My post was my experience and I wasn't being weight police. I hate that and now I resent the fact that I can't get my rig down to the point where I am not overloaded and you can. I think it's time for everyone to back off and not take things so personal.

Orv
Orv,
If you reread your post you stated "most of us are loaded to the max (or over if you're full time)". I repeat the 2nd part.."or over if you're full time". To me, this is saying "If you are a full timer than you are overloaded".
Your intent may not have been to include all full timers but your words say different.
If you go to the next reply by bigmurf his way of saying it was "most fulltimers are overweight." That I cannot argue with as I do know many full timers that are over but not all full timers.
One other point...There are many full timers out there pulling with 1 ton duallies or MDTs. Are they also over loaded? Probably not but by stating "over if you're full time" pulls every full timer into the same category regardless of TV.

OK, that's the end of my posting to this particular thread. I think I got the original question answered to the best of my experience and also managed to pull the thread off subject. For the latter I apologize............

Old 05-04-2008, 06:52 AM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
How many misread my post? I didn't name names. Just shared my experience. Is that wrong? If so, then my posting is done on this forum.

Orv
Old 05-04-2008, 07:21 AM   #16
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Orv, I sure wasn't offended. HA! It just made me think about all the junk I've got here in AP with us. When we changed lots here recently, I noticed the truck seemed to squat a little on the rear. I really felt the "most" you had in there gave plenty of "wiggle room" for those fulltimers that don't go over the weight ratings. I am sure a lot of the stuff we have will have to be put in storage if we have to run from a hurricane. What the heck, we're all adults; we all tend to piss each other off every once a while. I sure wouldn't want everyone to leave the forum on account of that. It would be a dull place then.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:51 AM   #17
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Hang in there Orv, I for one have appreciated your many frank & honest posts during the time I have been a member here! I may not even have agreed with all of them but so what you are entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. Besides, the only way to know if Orv's opion is right, or wrong, would be to actually scale everyone's truck & rig, AND we would have to call in the weight police to make it official! Keep posting everyone!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #18
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
All,

"Generally speaking, most of us are loaded to the max (or over if you're full time)..." IMHO equates to a relatively generic comment/observation NOT one that should/would be taken as "gospel" or as insulting. I am having a problem with a comment/opinion being taken so personally absent it being directed to a specific individual as this forum is about an exchange of ideas, knowledge, experiences, opinions, as well a a place people can share a sense of community and commaradary. Therefore, being a community, it would stand to reason that each of as individuals will and do have different levels of sensitivity, tolerance, or pride in our accomplishments and will respond/react accordingly. However, I would hope that before we responded to something to which we might take exception or be offended by that we would remember that written words do not convey, amongst other things, body language or tone of voice by which to measure or perceive intent; then we should take a deep breath and breathe out slowly; then we might take a look at what is bothering us so much about the post; and finally, determine if it really needs to be aired in the forum at all or if we can possibly couch it in a way so as to mitigate or eliminate the perception that the response is a "flame" back to the originator of the post that gave rise to the response (or use a PM to express our feelings to the originator).

Having moved throughout my life I have learned that, despite my best intentions/efforts, I have a tendency to "collect" things and everytime we have had to more (or elected to) a significant amount of time is spent sorting through all of those things in order to eliminate the redundant, unnecessary, and outdated. (Heck, prior to one move (we'd been in one location for 10 years the LONGEST I had lived anywhere in my life) Doug wound up taking three pick-up trucks FULL of stuff to the dump!) Orv's comment just brought my experiences to mind and also caused me to think of people who can and do stay in or well under their repective weight limits for their rigs. (Okay, to be honest, there was a bit of jealousy there as well when I thought of those who are in the category of "can and do!" LOL) His post also caused me to, once again, make a pact to myself NOT to get into a situation of having too much stuffed into Bella...check back in a year and we'll see where I stand on that commitment! LOL

Bottom line is that we need to treat one another with courtesy and respect (with a dab of humor thrown in for good measure) and recognize that this might be as simple (or difficult) as "agreeing to disagree" and move on. Trust me, there are some posts that make me get a bit riled (and you'll likely never hear from me about it) and I'm sure despite my efforts NOT to cause offense or hurt I either have or will post something that doesn't "sit right" with someone as time passes. I would sincerely hope that this would not cause me or anyone else to stop participating/posting in such an overall wonderful forum.

To all of you who posted responses to the originator's topic question, thank you! I learned a lot about the "hows and whys" of tire pressure as well as now having a number of things to think and read about (e.g., effect of tire temperature on pressure and load capabilities)...one of the reasons I value this forum so much!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:49 PM   #19
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I resemble all of the previous comments. I am overweight.

I have decided to continue to stay away from scales so I don't have to worry about it.

I just know that if I personally lost 50 pounds, I'd be okay as weight goes.

Mentally - well that is a little different.

Oh! and the same goes for Hanna!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #20
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
One reason I elect not to post often on MOC is that somebody is ALWAYS getting their feelings hurt, thinks they are being demeaned, etc. Some of y'all take this stuff too seriously and, IMHO, are way too sensitive. This is supposed to be fun and a place to learn about our trailers.

FWIW, admin needs to shut this thread down.

billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote